* [RFC] Deprecate `org-list-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists'
@ 2014-07-25 19:00 Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-07-25 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hello,

`org-list-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists' is an old variable (formely
known as `org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists) which doesn't make much
sense nowadays.

Indeed, since "org-list.el" revamp (around Org 7.0.1 IIRC), inserting
two blank lines in a row terminates a list anyway. This is consistent
with footnote definitions. Now it just makes Org files less portable
without any benefit.

Therefore, I suggest to mark it as deprecated in Org 8.3 release notes,
and remove it altogether in Org 8.4.

WDYT?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [RFC] Deprecate `org-list-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists'
@ 2014-07-26 19:39 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-07-26 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> `org-list-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists' is an old variable (formely
> known as `org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists) which doesn't make much
> sense nowadays.
>
> Indeed, since "org-list.el" revamp (around Org 7.0.1 IIRC), inserting
> two blank lines in a row terminates a list anyway. This is consistent
> with footnote definitions. Now it just makes Org files less portable
> without any benefit.
>
> Therefore, I suggest to mark it as deprecated in Org 8.3 release notes,
> and remove it altogether in Org 8.4.
>
> WDYT?

Fine with me.  It streamlines the syntax so it's good with me.

     https://xkcd.com/1172/

—Rasmus

--
When in doubt, do it!

* Re: [RFC] Deprecate `org-list-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists'
@ 2014-07-27 11:32 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-27 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hi Nicolas,

> Therefore, I suggest to mark it as deprecated in Org 8.3 release notes,
> and remove it altogether in Org 8.4.
>
> WDYT?

Fine for me, please go ahead,

--
 Bastien

* Re: [RFC] Deprecate `org-list-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists'
@ 2014-07-29 13:57   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-07-29 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode List

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
>> Therefore, I suggest to mark it as deprecated in Org 8.3 release notes,
>> and remove it altogether in Org 8.4.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Fine for me, please go ahead,

Done. I'll write the patch once 8.3 is released.

@ 2014-07-29 14:25     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-29 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode List

> Done. I'll write the patch once 8.3 is released.

Thanks a lot,

--
 Bastien