* What is the best in-Emacs presentation mode for org-files today?
@ 2014-07-09  1:07 Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-07-09  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi,

There are a lot of options for presentation from org, both inside of
Emacs and outside of it:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/non-beamer-presentations.html

What are you opinions on the best mode for doing:
1. Presentations inside of Emacs
2. Using all the options available for org mode while in the presentation

Kind regards,

Grant Rettke | ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

* Re: What is the best in-Emacs presentation mode for org-files today?
@ 2014-07-27 14:28 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-27 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Grant,

Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:

> What are you opinions on the best mode for doing:
> 1. Presentations inside of Emacs
> 2. Using all the options available for org mode while in the presentation

... org-mode.

I've found out that tweaking the font size and navigating through
an Emacs buffer is often good enough for presentations.

--
 Bastien

* Re: What is the best in-Emacs presentation mode for org-files today?
@ 2014-07-29  1:59   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-07-29  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Grant Rettke

I agree with org-mode. Check out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ8RK-R9O_g, which is an illustration of
some code I adapted from Sacha Chua. At the top of
https://github.com/jkitchin/jmax/blob/master/org-show.org you can find
some links to other presentation tools in Emacs.

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Grant,
>
> Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:
>
>> What are you opinions on the best mode for doing:
>> 1. Presentations inside of Emacs
>> 2. Using all the options available for org mode while in the presentation
>
> ... org-mode.
>
> I've found out that tweaking the font size and navigating through
> an Emacs buffer is often good enough for presentations.

--
-----------------------------------
John Kitchin

* Re: What is the best in-Emacs presentation mode for org-files today?
@ 2014-07-29  8:06     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-07-29  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

Hi John,

> I agree with org-mode. Check out
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ8RK-R9O_g, which is an illustration of
> some code I adapted from Sacha Chua. At the top of
> https://github.com/jkitchin/jmax/blob/master/org-show.org you can find
> some links to other presentation tools in Emacs.

this looks very nice, but how do I get it?

I cloned your jmax repo, got all kinds of stuff including a full copy of
Emacs 24.3., but the only reference to org-show.el I found there was in
.gitignore!

Is that private code or did I overlook something obvious?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: What is the best in-Emacs presentation mode for org-files today?
@ 2014-07-29  9:40       ` Nicolas Richard
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-07-29  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
> Hi John,
>
>> I agree with org-mode. Check out
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ8RK-R9O_g, which is an illustration of
>> some code I adapted from Sacha Chua. At the top of
>> https://github.com/jkitchin/jmax/blob/master/org-show.org you can find
>> some links to other presentation tools in Emacs.
>
> this looks very nice, but how do I get it?

Just from the name of the files (org-show.org and org-show.el) and the
fact that this is Org mode, I would say you should tangle the org file
to get the .el file !

--
Nico.

* Re: What is the best in-Emacs presentation mode for org-files today?
@ 2014-07-29 10:07         ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-07-29 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Richard <theonewiththeevillook@yahoo.fr> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>>> I agree with org-mode. Check out
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ8RK-R9O_g, which is an illustration of
>>> some code I adapted from Sacha Chua. At the top of
>>> https://github.com/jkitchin/jmax/blob/master/org-show.org you can find
>>> some links to other presentation tools in Emacs.
>>
>> this looks very nice, but how do I get it?
>
> Just from the name of the files (org-show.org and org-show.el) and the
> fact that this is Org mode, I would say you should tangle the org file
> to get the .el file !

Ah yes, there is actually a final node in this file containing the
org-show source-code (with a :tangle yes header), did not see that,
looked like just the presentation. Thx for the hint.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: What is the best in-Emacs presentation mode for org-files today?
@ 2014-07-29 15:33           ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-07-29 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:
yes, you should be able to use org-babel-tangle to extract the .el
file. Sorry for leaving that detail out!

@ 2014-07-29 15:45             ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-07-29 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> yes, you should be able to use org-babel-tangle to extract the .el
> file. Sorry for leaving that detail out!

since I always work the other way around (from elisp to org-mode via
outorg) I don't have the tangling option very present, otherwise it
would (and should) be quite obvious.

Thx for the nice library!

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: What is the best in-Emacs presentation mode for org-files today?
@ 2014-07-29 17:37               ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-07-29 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

el-get might be a nice option for you.

el-get-sources lets you set up any source and you might use an 'after'
action to tangle the file.

I didn't do that, because my system won't tangle org-show for some
reason only my system knows.

The recipe is really basic but good enough for me:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(add-to-list
 'el-get-sources
 '(:name org-show
          :type http
          :url "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jkitchin/jmax/master/org-show.org"
          :website "https://github.com/jkitchin/jmax/blob/master/org-show.org"
          :description "simple presentations in org-mode"))
(add-to-list 'gcr/el-get-packages 'org-show)
#+end_src

@ 2014-07-29 23:23                 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-07-29 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:

> el-get might be a nice option for you.

There is also doc-present, but you would need to export to beamer
first: https://github.com/dengste/doc-present/

Some people create there own, for example watch the first 3min of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Te_a-AGqM

Best,

Jorge.

* Re: What is the best in-Emacs presentation mode for org-files today?
@ 2014-08-04  1:13   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-08-04  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Grant Rettke

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Grant,
>
> Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:
>
>> What are you opinions on the best mode for doing:
>> 1. Presentations inside of Emacs
>> 2. Using all the options available for org mode while in the presentation
>
> ... org-mode.
>
> I've found out that tweaking the font size and navigating through
> an Emacs buffer is often good enough for presentations.

I agree, full screen and large font is often sufficient.

However... When I want more I use the following.

                  https://github.com/eschulte/epresent

Best,
Eric

--