* org-drill extremely slow with Org 9.2.5
@ 2019-08-25 18:10 Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2019-08-25 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, after upgrading from Org 9.1 to 9.2, org-drill has become extremely
slow.  org-drill has never been fast, but now it stops being usable.
Everything takes much more time than before -- running `M-x org-drill',
both for the first time and again, responding to drill queries, moving
over my Org file.

My org-drill Org file has over 4,000 entries and almost 50,000 lines.
With Org 9.1, it used to be usable after running `M-x org-drill' for the
first time in the given Emacs session; after the initial Org processing,
I could move over the entries relatively smoothly.  But this no longer
helps and org-drill itself is much slower too.

Is Org 9.2 no longer capable to handle (relatively) large files with a
lot of Org properties?  Are there any tricks to speed it up?

Thanks for any advice,
Milan

* Re: org-drill extremely slow with Org 9.2.5
@ 2019-08-25 20:30 ` Oleh Krehel
From: Oleh Krehel @ 2019-08-25 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milan Zamazal; +Cc: org mode

Hi Milan,

> Are there any tricks to speed it up?

I noticed org-drill being slow three years ago when I tried to learn it.
So I wrote my own package: https://github.com/abo-abo/pamparam/.
It's quite fast: it takes 0.6s to sync my 3300 cards from the master Org file.
And day-to-day learning operations like building a schedule or
fetching a card are instantaneous.
The master file is relatively small, since it stores no metadata: less
than 10000 lines.
The metadata is stored per-card, each card is in its own file. The
whole thing is backed by Git.
All your learning sessions are stored in commits as well.

Check it out. It might have less features, but it's really fast and
has served me well.

regards,
Oleh

* Re: org-drill extremely slow with Org 9.2.5
@ 2019-08-25 22:37   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2019-08-25 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleh Krehel; +Cc: Milan Zamazal, org mode

 One thing I used to do with org-drill is learn names from photos, e.g. I
would put an image of a student with the answer corresponding to their
name. This doesn't seem possible with pamparam at the moment because the
links to images get broken when the cards are copied into the directory. Do
you (Oleh) know how difficult it would be to make that happen? One way to
do it might be to fix the paths of any image links to point to the right
place.

I have a new roster to learn, so if you can point me in the right
direction, and it works, I would be happy to submit a pull request on it!

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

@ 2019-08-26 19:39   ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2019-08-26 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    OK> I noticed org-drill being slow three years ago when I tried to
    OK> learn it.  So I wrote my own package:
    OK> https://github.com/abo-abo/pamparam/.  It's quite fast: it takes
    OK> 0.6s to sync my 3300 cards from the master Org file.  And
    OK> day-to-day learning operations like building a schedule or
    OK> fetching a card are instantaneous.  The master file is
    OK> relatively small, since it stores no metadata: less than 10000
    OK> lines.  The metadata is stored per-card, each card is in its own
    OK> file. The whole thing is backed by Git.  All your learning
    OK> sessions are stored in commits as well.

    OK> Check it out. It might have less features, but it's really fast
    OK> and has served me well.

Hi Oleh, pamparam looks interesting, however the very first blocker of
adoption is that having to type the answers is slower than anything
else...  And not always feasible.

Nevertheless the concepts behind pamparam are interesting.  When I grep
all the :PROPERTIES: out of my org-drill file, Org can visit and
navigate the resulting file completely fine.  So the problem is how Org
deals with its properties.

I can see two options:

a) to fix Org property processing
b) to change org-drill to off-load metadata to a separate file

I'm afraid b) alone wouldn't help, since when I retain just :ID:
properties, then the file is unusably slow in Org.

* Re: org-drill extremely slow with Org 9.2.5
@ 2019-09-15 14:13 ` Christian Heinrich
From: Christian Heinrich @ 2019-09-15 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

are all your headlines folded? I found that running "M-x outline-show-all" before the first org-
drill call resolves this issue for me with org 9.2 (but not with 9.3).

See also my analysis https://bitbucket.org/eeeickythump/org-drill/issues/48/slow-startup

Are you aware of the new org-drill releases by Philipp Lord? https://gitlab.com/phillord/org-drill

Cheers
Christian

@ 2019-09-22 17:57   ` Milan Zamazal
From: Milan Zamazal @ 2019-09-22 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

    CH> are all your headlines folded?

Yes.

    CH> I found that running "M-x outline-show-all" before the first
    CH> org- drill call resolves this issue for me with org 9.2 (but not
    CH> with 9.3).

Indeed, cool, thank you for the tip.

    CH> See also my analysis
    CH> https://bitbucket.org/eeeickythump/org-drill/issues/48/slow-startup

The primary problem seems to be Org regressions.  IIRC, with Org 9.3,
it's enough to make a file with several thousand folded entries having
:ID: properties and the navigation becomes extremely slow.

    CH> Are you aware of the new org-drill releases by Philipp Lord?
    CH> https://gitlab.com/phillord/org-drill

I wasn't, thank you for the pointer.  (However when I tried to install
it from MELPA, it installed a new Org with it, making it unusable.
Better to install it directly from the archive above.)

Thanks,
Milan