* how to highlight the background of my current paragraph?
@ 2019-10-31  7:35 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2019-10-31  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

How can I set the background of my current paragraph to 'dark gray',
i.e. to highlight it, and the highlighting to follow whichever paragraph
I'm currently viewing/writing please?

I've been googling it but haven't found anything suitable so far.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 10.1, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 26.3, org 9.2.6

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: how to highlight the background of my current paragraph?
@ 2019-10-31  7:52 ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2019-10-31  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Org-mode

I use =global-hl-line-mode= from the hl-line package. Highlights only the
current line, but I find it quite useful. Here's what I have in my config:

(use-package hl-line
    :defer nil
    :config
    (global-hl-line-mode))

Since I use =visual-line-mode= as well in my org documents, the effect is
to highlight the whole current paragraph (which is a single line in the
file).

Hope this helps,
--Diego

@ 2019-10-31 15:56   ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-10-31 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: Org-mode, Sharon Kimble

On Thursday, 31 Oct 2019 at 08:52, Diego Zamboni wrote:
> Since I use =visual-line-mode= as well in my org documents, the effect is
> to highlight the whole current paragraph (which is a single line in the
> file).

In case you find this useful, I found that highlighting the whole
paragraph was too much; I want just the actual "physical" line where
point is highlighted, whether it continues on or not.  I do this:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun esf/get-visual-line-range ()
    (let (b e)
      (save-excursion
        (beginning-of-visual-line)
        (setq b (point))
        (end-of-visual-line)
        (setq e (point))
        )
      (cons b e)))
  (setq hl-line-range-function #'esf/get-visual-line-range)
#+end_src

Of course, this is not what the OP wanted so excuse the diversion.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.2.6-552-g8c5a78

* Re: how to highlight the background of my current paragraph?
@ 2019-10-31 16:03     ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2019-10-31 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric; +Cc: Org-mode, Sharon Kimble

Hi Eric,

Nice! Thanks for the tip :)

--Diego

@ 2019-10-31 16:10       ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2019-10-31 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric; +Cc: Org-mode, Sharon Kimble

(sorry, further hijacking this thread)

Eric: I made a slight improvement to your code (see the =setq e=) so that
the empty space at the end of the line gets highlighted as in the default
behavior instead of only highlighting the part of the line that contains
text:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun esf/get-visual-line-range ()
    (let (b e)
      (save-excursion
        (beginning-of-visual-line)
        (setq b (point))
        (end-of-visual-line)
        (setq e (+ 1 (point)))
        )
      (cons b e)))
#+end_src

--Diego

@ 2019-10-31 16:22         ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-10-31 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: Org-mode

On Thursday, 31 Oct 2019 at 17:10, Diego Zamboni wrote:
> Eric: I made a slight improvement to your code (see the =setq e=) so that
> the empty space at the end of the line gets highlighted as in the default
> behavior instead of only highlighting the part of the line that contains
> text:

Thanks for this.

Interesting effect.  I had to add ":extend t" to the hl-line face (which
I customized a long time ago now) to get the extension to the end of the
window.  However, although the background colour now goes to the end,
other effects do not (underline and overline).  Something for the Emacs
development mailing list where I know there has been quite a bit of
discussion on the :extend feature.

Thanks again,
eric

PS - I've removed Sharon from the CC list given our hijacking of the thread! :-)

--

@ 2019-10-31 16:43           ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-10-31 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: Org-mode

So, I updated Emacs to latest git version and the extended face works
for all attributes.  However, it brings in other edge effects:

1. the extension backwards wraps to the previous line in some cases and
2. my cursor disappears if it is past the last character on the line
   when using a block cursor in evil mode.

So I'm back to what I had before until Emacs stabilises a bit in terms
of face extensions.

And enough off-topic discussion, I think!  Apologies to all for the
noise.

--

@ 2019-11-01 11:44         ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2019-11-01 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)