* new org-contrib and straight.el
@ 2021-05-16  2:37 Greg Minshall
From: Greg Minshall @ 2021-05-16  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

hi, all.  i use, but don't know much about, straight.el [1].  in case
it's of use to anyone, here is what is did to bring in the new
org-contrib:

----
(straight-use-package '(org-contrib :type git
                                    :repo "https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-contrib"
                                    :local-repo "org-contrib"))
----

and, if anyone has suggestions on a "cleaner"/more idiomatic way of
doing this, i'm more than happy to learn.

cheers, Greg

[1] https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el

* Re: new org-contrib and straight.el
@ 2021-05-19  4:42 ` No Wayman
From: No Wayman @ 2021-05-19  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: minshall; +Cc: bzg, emacs-orgmode

Hi, Greg.

The recent changes to org-contrib's location/structure have been
accounted for on straight's
"develop" branch. Once on that branch you can rely on the default
recipe:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(straight-use-package 'org-contrib)
#+end_src

You can see which version of straight you're currently using via
`M-x straight-version`.
If you're on the "master" branch (commit e1390a9 as of this
writing), you can update to the "develop"
branch by adding:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq straight-repository-branch "develop")
#+end_src

prior to straight's bootstrapping snippet in your in init file.
I recommend using the develop branch and utilizing the lockfile
system via
`straight-freeze-versions` and `straight-thaw-versions` to define
your own "stable releases".

Hope that helps.
If you have any other questions or run into problems feel free to
reach out on our issue tracker:

https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el/issues/new/choose

Hope that helps,

Nick

* Re: new org-contrib and straight.el
@ 2021-05-19 17:36   ` Greg Minshall
From: Greg Minshall @ 2021-05-19 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: No Wayman; +Cc: bzg, emacs-orgmode

Nick,

> The recent changes to org-contrib's location/structure have been
> accounted for on straight's "develop" branch. Once on that branch you
> can rely on the default recipe:

thanks very much.  i'll look at switching to the development branch,
freezing and thawing.

cheers, Greg

----

@ 2021-05-19 18:07     ` No Wayman
From: No Wayman @ 2021-05-19 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Minshall; +Cc: bzg, emacs-orgmode

Greg Minshall <minshall@umich.edu> writes:

> Nick,
>
>> The recent changes to org-contrib's location/structure have
>> been
>> accounted for on straight's "develop" branch. Once on that
>> branch you
>> can rely on the default recipe:
>
> thanks very much.  i'll look at switching to the development
> branch,
> freezing and thawing.
>
> cheers, Greg
>
> ----

You're welcome.

I've merged the develop branch into the master branch this
morning, too.
So you should be able to reap that benefit on either branch, but I
still
recommend using the lockfiles to your advantage.

* Re: new org-contrib and straight.el
@ 2021-05-20 13:56       ` Greg Minshall
From: Greg Minshall @ 2021-05-20 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: No Wayman; +Cc: bzg, emacs-orgmode

Nick,

> I've merged the develop branch into the master branch this morning,
> too.  So you should be able to reap that benefit on either branch, but
> I still recommend using the lockfiles to your advantage.

thanks again.

since "we" have you on the line, i wonder if i might impose on you and
ask if you might have any comment on the following:

using straight.el, i have not been getting the updated org-mode info
pages with my org package.  in preparing to answer you, i cobbled
together a possible recipe, that seems to give me the info pages.
----
 `(org :type git
       :repo "https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git"
       :local-repo "org"
       :depth full
       :pre-build ,(list
                    (concat
                     (when
                         (eq
                          system-type
                          'berkeley-unix) "g")
                     "make")
                    "autoloads"
                    "./doc/org.texi"
                    "./doc/orgguide.texi"
                    (concat "EMACS="
                            invocation-directory invocation-name)) :build (:not autoloads)
       :files (:defaults "lisp/*.el" ("etc/styles/" "etc/styles/*") "doc/*.texi"))
----

is there some better way to do this?  (i think someone else on this list
does get the info pages, but, iirc, without doing anything special.)

cheers, Greg

ps -- for anyone curious, i use it in my .emacs with
: (straight-use-package `(org...)
where i might normally have had
: (use-package org ...

* Re: new org-contrib and straight.el
@ 2021-05-21 13:23         ` No Wayman
From: No Wayman @ 2021-05-21 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Minshall; +Cc: bzg, emacs-orgmode

Greg Minshall <minshall@umich.edu> writes:

> Nick,
> ...i have not been getting the updated org-mode info
> pages with my org package.

Straight provides its own means of building/installing package
info.
This may be a bug with the Org mode recipe we provide.
Please file a bug report at:

https://github.com/raxod502/straight.el

Be sure to include the output of `M-x straight-version` and `M-x
emacs-version` at a minimum.

If you feel you have a reproduction case or recipe that works
better, you can include
that recipe with a report using `straight-bug-report'.
It's a macro that will install straight in a clean environment,
run your code and produce a formatted report to share.

* Re: new org-contrib and straight.el
@ 2021-05-21 15:28           ` Greg Minshall
From: Greg Minshall @ 2021-05-21 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: No Wayman; +Cc: bzg, emacs-orgmode

Nick,

thanks.  i've submitted a bug report.

cheers, Greg

ps -- if anyone tried the recipe i gave before, this one seems to
actually work from a clean repository (i don't think the other did):
----
`(org :type git
       :repo "https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/org-mode.git"
       :local-repo "org"
       :depth full
       :pre-build ,(list (concat (when (eq system-type 'berkeley-unix) "g") "make")
                         "autoloads"
                         "info"
                         (concat "EMACS=" invocation-directory invocation-name))
       :build (:not autoloads)
       :files (:defaults "lisp/*.el" ("etc/styles/" "etc/styles/*")))
----
(again, you might use this like
: (straight-use-package `(org type git ...))