Hi Max, > There is no point to discuss deprecation of $…$ and ... while usage of > such constructs is not discouraged by the org manual Isn’t the point of discussing depreciation now that we’d change the manual etc. to discourage it? 😛 FWIW, I have an extra 2c to add: I think that there’s a danger in having $…$ /almost/ behave like LaTeX, as the closer it is the more surprising the edge cases are, and due to the nature of Org there will /always/ be a collection of edge cases with $…$. By comparison, \(…\) has much less ’surprising’ behaviour. >> If we do deprecate support for $…$, it might also be a good idea to >> see if we can add a utility function which would make it easier for >> people to migrate existing documents to the new/alternative syntax. For >> the same reason it is hard to reliably parse $…$ syntax, we probably >> can’t automate that transition, but we should be able to reduce the effort >> required to update existing documents. Tim, as mentioned before I’m strongly in favour of a ~half decade transition including utility functions to shift existing TeX constructs to LaTeX, and adding warnings, well before dropping support. All the best, Timothy