* couldn't org-table-create-with-table\.el respect hline
@ 2022-01-28 17:44 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-01-28 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I start with

| Example | Text    | Dates        | other   |
|---------+---------+--------------+---------|
| this    | comment | <2022-01-28 vie> | nothing |

That is converted to

+---------+---------+--------------+---------+
| Example | Text    | Dates        | other   |
+---------+---------+--------------+---------+
| this    | comment | <2022-01-28 vie> | nothing |
+---------+---------+--------------+---------+

And is converted back to

| Example | Text    | Dates        | other   |
| this    | comment | <2022-01-28 vie> | nothing |

Couldn't in the last step the hlines be respected?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: couldn't org-table-create-with-table\.el respect hline
@ 2022-10-27 12:04 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-27 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> I start with
>

> | Example | Text    | Dates        | other   |
> |---------+---------+--------------+---------|
> | this    | comment | <2022-01-28 vie> | nothing |
>

> That is converted to
>

> +---------+---------+--------------+---------+
> | Example | Text    | Dates        | other   |
> +---------+---------+--------------+---------+
> | this    | comment | <2022-01-28 vie> | nothing |
> +---------+---------+--------------+---------+
>

> And is converted back to
>

> | Example | Text    | Dates        | other   |
> | this    | comment | <2022-01-28 vie> | nothing |
>

> Couldn't in the last step the hlines be respected?

That would not make sense.
AFAIK, table.el has no notion of hlines. The +---+ separators in
table.el tables mark cell boundaries, not hlines.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: couldn't org-table-create-with-table\.el respect hline
@ 2022-10-28 14:41   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-28 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, emacs-orgmode

>>> "IR" == Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>> I start with
>>

>> | Example | Text    | Dates        | other   |
>> |---------+---------+--------------+---------|
>> | this    | comment | <2022-01-28 vie> | nothing |
>>

>> That is converted to
>>

>> +---------+---------+--------------+---------+
>> | Example | Text    | Dates        | other   |
>> +---------+---------+--------------+---------+
>> | this    | comment | <2022-01-28 vie> | nothing |
>> +---------+---------+--------------+---------+
>>

>> And is converted back to
>>

>> | Example | Text    | Dates        | other   |
>> | this    | comment | <2022-01-28 vie> | nothing |
>>

>> Couldn't in the last step the hlines be respected?

> That would not make sense.
> AFAIK, table.el has no notion of hlines. The +---+ separators in
> table.el tables mark cell boundaries, not hlines.

It would make sense if I later want to export the final table (after converting org-->table-->org

To say latex. There the hlines make a difference, that is why I am asking

--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: couldn't org-table-create-with-table\.el respect hline
@ 2022-10-29  4:29     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-29  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>>> Couldn't in the last step the hlines be respected?
>
>> That would not make sense.
>> AFAIK, table.el has no notion of hlines. The +---+ separators in
>> table.el tables mark cell boundaries, not hlines.
>
> It would make sense if I later want to export the final table (after converting org-->table-->org

org-->table conversion is not reversible. hlines are not part of
table.el syntax and cannot be retained.

> To say latex. There the hlines make a difference, that is why I am asking

I recommend using native Org tables.

Do you need a specific table.el feature that you miss in native Org tables?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: couldn't org-table-create-with-table\.el respect hline
@ 2022-10-29  6:42       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-29  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, emacs-orgmode

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

   org--> table conversion is not reversible. hlines are not part of
> table.el syntax and cannot be retained.

> I recommend using native Org tables.

> Do you need a specific table.el feature that you miss in native Org tables?

 Merging and splitting cells!

--

@ 2022-10-29  6:47         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-29  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> Do you need a specific table.el feature that you miss in native Org tables?
>
>  Merging and splitting cells!

Can you please send a separate message detailing the feature request and
how you envision this functionality to work? (I know that many people
desire this feature, but it is not easy. A good dedicated discussion
may help to push things forward in this area.)

Also, I am wondering what happens with merged cells when you convert
from table.el to native Org tables. I suspect that it does not work
well...

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: couldn't org-table-create-with-table\.el respect hline
@ 2022-10-29  6:54           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-29  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, emacs-orgmode