* Using clock in/out as an attendance register?
@ 2007-09-09 18:24 Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2007-09-09 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to use the org mode feature of clockin as an attendance
register?  I'd simply like to record the time I punch in and out and
have org mode give the hours for all the days in the week/month.

Is there a way to do it without creating a TODO item everyday in the
.org file?

 sivaram

* Re: Using clock in/out as an attendance register?
@ 2007-09-11  3:52 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-11  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a way to use the org mode feature of clockin as an attendance
> register? I'd simply like to record the time I punch in and out and
> have org mode give the hours for all the days in the week/month.
>
> Is there a way to do it without creating a TODO item everyday in the
> .org file?

From the manual:

`C-c C-x C-r'
     Insert a dynamic block (*note Dynamic blocks::) containing
     a clock report as an org-mode table into the current file.

See (info "(Org)Clocking work time") for details.

Bastien

* Re: Using clock in/out as an attendance register?
@ 2007-09-11  4:03 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2007-09-11  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a way to use the org mode feature of clockin as an attendance
> register?  I'd simply like to record the time I punch in and out and
> have org mode give the hours for all the days in the week/month.
>
> Is there a way to do it without creating a TODO item everyday in the
> .org file?

You may find the timeclock.el module (included with Emacs) easier for this
kind of tracking.  And Ledger (http://ledger.sf.net) will make it possible to
create all kinds of summary reports and such from your timelog.

John

* Re: Using clock in/out as an attendance register?
@ 2007-09-11  4:46   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-11  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> See (info "(Org)Clocking work time") for details.

I just stumble upon this error:

"The CLOCK property can not yet be set with `org-entry-put'"

I assume there is a plan for setting the CLOCK property directly
(through org-clock-in/out), and I guess both `org-clock-sum' and
`org-clock-report' will be able to use this information.

PS: I found the plan for the CLOCK property while trying to write a
function to merge all those CLOCK lines. Here it is, in case someone
wants to store dormant clocking info:

(defun bzg-org-merge-clocks nil
  "Sum clocking information for the current subtree and store it
as a :Clock: property."
  (interactive)
  (org-clock-sum)
  (save-excursion
    (org-back-to-heading)
    (while (re-search-forward
	    (concat "^[ \t]*" org-clock-string ".*$")
	    (save-excursion (outline-next-heading) (point)) t)
      (replace-match ""))
    (org-back-to-heading)
    (let ((minutes (get-text-property (point) :org-clock-minutes))
	  (elapsed (string-to-number (org-entry-get (point) "Clock"))))
      (org-entry-put (point) "Clock"
		     (number-to-string (+ minutes elapsed))))))

--
Bastien