From: Daniel Clemente <email@example.com>
To: emacs-orgmode list <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Function to get the title of a heading
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 19:53:20 +0100 [thread overview]
Message-ID: <email@example.com> (raw)
I want to get the title of some entry in Elisp. That is, from this heading:
*** TODO Do something!
I want the "Do something!".
I know no function to do this; although there is probably one. What I found is:
- (org-entry-properties) returns the TODO keyword, the tags, and the category, but not the title.
- (org-get-entry) has no useful documentation but it seems to return the content, not the heading.
- (org-get-header HEADER) does something else related to mail; it seems to be unused and not much documented.
- (org-get-heading t) seems to return the full line (even with keyword), but with properties:
#("TODO Do something!" 0 4
(org-category "test1" fontified t face org-todo)
(org-category "test1" fontified t face org-level-3))
Based on this, I did a function to remove the TODO keyword and the properties.
(defun org-get-heading-title ()
"Returns the heading of the current entry as a string, without the leading stars, the TODO keyword or the tags."
(title-with-props (org-get-heading t))
(substring-no-properties title-with-props (if keyword (1+ (length keyword))))
- This could also be implemented as a parameter to (org-get-heading).
- Or the title returned in (org-entry-properties)
- And (org-get-header HEADER) could be removed.
- In any case, such a function can be included in Org-mode so that it is easy to find.
next reply other threads:[~2009-01-06 18:53 UTC|newest]
Thread overview: 3+ messages / expand[flat|nested] mbox.gz Atom feed top
2009-01-06 18:53 Daniel Clemente [this message]
2009-01-08 22:20 ` Function to get the title of a heading Carsten Dominik
2009-01-11 17:08 ` Daniel Clemente
You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:
* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
and reply-to-all from there: mbox
Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
List information: https://www.orgmode.org/
* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
switches of git-send-email(1):
git send-email \
* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
via mailto: links, try the mailto: link
Be sure your reply has a Subject: header at the top and a blank line
before the message body.
Code repositories for project(s) associated with this public inbox
This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).