* [22] [newbie] install remember?
@ 2009-07-20  6:23 Tom Roche
From: Tom Roche @ 2009-07-20  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hopefully this question isn't too stupid, but I'm up past my bedtime
and I've been looking at a lotta docs and not finding an answer to

* specific question: if I'm running a (GNU) emacs 22 (like the current
  stock ubuntu

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/emacs

  ), do I need to install remember.el separately? (I'm thinking
  "yes.") If so,

** which version? (I'm thinking "2.0")

** where should I have read which remember I need to install?
   (presuming I do)

* general question: is there an "elisp which"? E.g. code that will

** (useful) given the name of an elisp package (e.g. "remember"),
   return a boolean: 't if that package has been loaded, 'nil if not.
   OTTOMH all I got--which doesn't give version, and is way lame--is
   to C-h a <some part of the package name/>: if that returns nothing
   ... no such interactive commands are defined. Lame, but better than
   nothing.

** (better) code that will map the name of an elisp package into the
   location of its "main" file? or all files in the package?

  Just asking because, if I knew that, I probably wouldn't need to be
  asking the specific question: I could see if a remember*.el had
  already been loaded by my init.el without my setting anything up.

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

* Re: [22] [newbie] install remember?
@ 2009-07-20  7:10 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-20  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Tom Roche

Hi Tom,

Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> writes:

> * specific question: if I'm running a (GNU) emacs 22 (like the current
>   stock ubuntu
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/emacs
>
>   ), do I need to install remember.el separately? (I'm thinking
>   "yes.") If so,

To my knowledge, remember is included in Emacs 23, not Emacs 22.

See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/RememberMode :

,----[ History ]
`----

> ** which version? (I'm thinking "2.0")

Presumably.

> ** where should I have read which remember I need to install?
>    (presuming I do)

What says Org's manual in Emacs 22 about remember?  I guess it
says to install it separately?  Or maybe you are using a newer
version of Org?  If the current manual (Org 6.28trans) should
be clearer about this let me know.

> * general question: is there an "elisp which"? E.g. code that will

(featurep 'remember)

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: [22] [newbie] install remember?
@ 2009-07-20  7:47 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2009-07-20  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hey ;)

Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> writes:

> ** where should I have read which remember I need to install?
>    (presuming I do)

Have a look at http://orgmode.org/manual/Remember.html#Remember or
in your local org documentation s.v. 9. Remember.

If anything remains unclear, do not hesitate to ask again ;).

Any suggestions, where you would have expected this information?

Maybe a sentence like:
 "Orgmodes functionality is vastly improved by the remember package,
 which is not included in emacs 22. The installation of Remember Mode is
 covered in <Link> Chapter 9 </Link>."
could be added to 1.2 or 1.3 of the orgmanual ...

On the other hand, imho its not that hard to find ...

* Re: [22] [newbie] install remember?
@ 2009-07-20 17:30 Tom Roche
From: Tom Roche @ 2009-07-20 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

(edited with org-mode :-)

Tom Roche Mon, 20 Jul 2009 02:23:35 -0400 (EDT)
>>> * specific question: if I'm running a (GNU) emacs 22 (like the
>>>   current stock ubuntu

>>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/emacs

>>>   ), do I need to install remember.el separately? (I'm thinking
>>>   "yes.")

Bastien Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:59:39 +0200
> I have slightly modified the paragraph describing remember.el in
> org.texi like this:

> | The Remember package by John Wiegley lets you store quick notes
> | with little interruption of your work flow.

> + It is an excellent way to add new notes and tasks to Org files.
> + The remember.el package is part of Emacs 23, not Emacs 22.

> | See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/RememberMode for more
> | information. Org significantly expands the possibilities of

Thanks, much better. Presumably that will filter into

http://orgmode.org/org.pdf
http://orgmode.org/manual/index.html

as well? since those were what I was working from. (Because
`make install-info-debian` did not work for me, but

init.el
> (add-to-list 'Info-default-directory-list
>   ; current version of org, as of 19 Jul 09
>   ; from http://orgmode.org/
>   ; must be installed: see
>   ; http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation
>   ; and logfile.090719
>   (concat MY-LOCAL-EMACS-LISP-DIR "/" ORG-VERSION "/doc")

does now.) You might also link to section 9.1 from section 1.2
(Installation). (Is the top-level doc worg-able? An idle question at
this point, since getting org-mode setup is a subtask of "organizing
my life in plain text," and setting up git is farther down the
priority list.)

One more doc suggestion:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/RememberMode#toc7

appears to be correct, since

http://orgmode.org/manual/Setting-up-Remember.html#Setting-up-Remember

>>> * general question: is there an "elisp which"?

Bastien Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:59:39 +0200
>> (featurep 'remember)

pre-install *scratch*
> (featurep 'remember)
> nil

post-install *scratch*
> (featurep 'remember)

Double thanks! Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

* Re: [22] [newbie] install remember?
@ 2009-07-20 19:07 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-20 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Tom Roche

Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> writes:

> Thanks, much better. Presumably that will filter into
>
> http://orgmode.org/org.pdf
> http://orgmode.org/manual/index.html
>
> as well?

Yes, done.

> does now.) You might also link to section 9.1 from section 1.2
> (Installation). (Is the top-level doc worg-able? An idle question at
> this point, since getting org-mode setup is a subtask of "organizing
> my life in plain text," and setting up git is farther down the
> priority list.)

The 1.2 section is about installing Org.  People interested in
using Remember will go to the Remember section.

> One more doc suggestion:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/RememberMode#toc7

If the suggestion is to add (require 'remember) it is not necessary,
the function `org-require-remember' in `org-remember-insinuate' is
taking care of it.

> Double thanks! Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

You're welcome,

--