* Error "while: Stack overflow in regexp matcher"
@ 2009-07-15  9:12 Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2009-07-15  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

I'm trying to publish my `.emacs' file onto the Web, for interested people to
come and copy stuff they find valuable. My turn to do it.

I did that in the past with Muse, no problem.

But, now, I wanna do it with the real system... and I've always an error when
trying to publish my config file:

    "while: Stack overflow in regexp matcher".

Nothing gets published. Of course, my `.emacs' file is quite long, but that
worked within similar technology (htmlize [¹]) with Muse.

This is my simplified `dot-emacs.org' file:

#+TITLE:        Emacs Init File
#+LANGUAGE:     en

* Init File

  Here is my init file:

#+INCLUDE: "~/.emacs" src emacs-lisp

  Rather long, no?

Can anyone help me, please, suggesting me how to go one step further to the
light?

Best regards,
  Seb

[¹] Yes, I'm using the version of Carsten, being Emacs 23 user.

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Error "while: Stack overflow in regexp matcher"
@ 2009-07-15 10:54 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-07-15 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Sébastien Vauban

--- Mer 15/7/09, Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> ha scritto:
> I'm trying to publish my `.emacs' file onto the Web
[...]
> I've always an error when
> trying to publish my config file:
>
>     "while: Stack overflow in regexp matcher".
>
> Nothing gets published. Of course, my `.emacs' file is
> quite long, but that
> worked within similar technology (htmlize [¹]) with Muse.
>
> This is my simplified `dot-emacs.org' file:
>
> --8<---------------cut
> here---------------start------------->8---
> #+TITLE:        Emacs Init File
> #+LANGUAGE:     en
>

> * Init File
>
>   Here is my init file:
>
> #+INCLUDE: "~/.emacs" src emacs-lisp
>
>   Rather long, no?
> --8<---------------cut
> here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> [¹] Yes, I'm using the version of Carsten, being Emacs 23
> user.

here, with your file,

htmlize.el 21 November 2008 :
;; Author: Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@xemacs.org>
;; Modified by: Carsten Dominik <carsten at orgmode dot org>
in my org\lisp directory that is in path

GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-05-24 on SOFT-MJASON
Org-mode version 6.28trans

my .emacs is published ok. (15 kb)

However a 791 kb org file (147443 lines)

gives the error:
org-export-select-backend-specific-text: Stack overflow in regexp matcher

:-(
cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: Error "while: Stack overflow in regexp matcher"
@ 2009-07-15 11:54   ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2009-07-15 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi,

    ,----[ ~/Downloads/emacs/site-lisp/org-mode/contrib/lisp/htmlize.el ]

    | ;; htmlize.el -- Convert buffer text and decorations to HTML.
    |
    | ;; Copyright (C) 1997,1998,1999,2000,2001,2002,2003,2005,2006,2009 Hrvoje Niksic
    `----

Weird. Though my htmlize file is coming from org-mode/contrib/lisp, there is
no reference to Carsten, like in yours.

> GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-05-24 on SOFT-MJASON

FYI, I'm having `GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.1)
of 2009-06-18 on samarium, modified by Debian'.

> Org-mode version 6.28trans

FYI, I'm using `Org-mode version 6.28trans' as well.

> my .emacs is published ok. (15 kb)
>
> However a 791 kb org file (147443 lines)

My `.emacs' file is 7,844 lines long, for a total of 278 KBytes.

> gives the error:
> org-export-select-backend-specific-text: Stack overflow in regexp matcher
>
> :-(

So, exactly the same problem when the file gets longer...

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2009-07-29  9:28     ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2009-07-29  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi,

Can I give this thread a bump?  I still have the problem with not being able
to share my `.emacs' file, and get to the last publishing step.

Sébastien Vauban wrote:
> Giovanni Ridolfi wrote:
>> Sébastien Vauban ha scritto:
>>> I'm trying to publish my `.emacs' file onto the Web [...]. I've always an
>>> error when trying to publish my config file: "while: Stack overflow in
>>> regexp matcher".
>>>
>>> Nothing gets published. Of course, my `.emacs' file is quite long, but that
>>> [same file got published with Muse/htmlize].
>>>
>>> This is my simplified `dot-emacs.org' file:

#+TITLE: Emacs Init File
#+LANGUAGE: en

* Init File

  Here is my init file:

#+INCLUDE: "~/.emacs" src emacs-lisp

> FYI, I'm having `GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
> 2.16.1) of 2009-06-18 on samarium, modified by Debian' and `Org-mode
> version 6.28trans'.
>>
>> my .emacs is published ok. (15 kb)
>> However a 791 kb org file (147443 lines) gives the error:
>> org-export-select-backend-specific-text: Stack overflow in regexp matcher
>
> So, exactly the same problem when the file gets longer...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: Error "while: Stack overflow in regexp matcher"
@ 2009-07-29  9:49       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-29  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Can I give this thread a bump?  I still have the problem with not being able
> to share my `.emacs' file, and get to the last publishing step.

Can you send me your .emacs file off-list?

I will try to export this tonight or tomorrow.

 Bastien

* Re: Error "while: Stack overflow in regexp matcher"
@ 2009-07-29 11:13         ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2009-07-29 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Can I give this thread a bump?  I still have the problem with not being able
>> to share my `.emacs' file, and get to the last publishing step.
>
> Can you send me your .emacs file off-list?

Of course, I do that in a minute.

> I will try to export this tonight or tomorrow.

Thank you very much in advance,
  Seb

--

@ 2009-08-20  8:35       ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2009-08-20  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bastien,

> Can I give this thread a bump?  I still have the problem with not being able
> to share my `.emacs' file, and get to the last publishing step.
>
>> So, exactly the same problem when the file gets longer...

Any news about the HTMLize problem with long files?

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2009-08-20 13:48         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-08-20 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

>> Can I give this thread a bump?  I still have the problem with not being able
>> to share my `.emacs' file, and get to the last publishing step.
>>
>>> So, exactly the same problem when the file gets longer...
>
> Any news about the HTMLize problem with long files?

Sorry no - some unexpected job constraints make me travel again, I
have to prepare this.  Maybe someone else can take this challenge?

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Error "while: Stack overflow in regexp matcher"
@ 2009-08-31 10:26 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-31 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Sebastien has now (off-list) made it possible for me to
reproduce this bug.  Which is why it finally has been fixed.

- Carsten

On Jul 15, 2009, at 11:12 AM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to publish my `.emacs' file onto the Web, for interested
> people to
> come and copy stuff they find valuable. My turn to do it.
>
> I did that in the past with Muse, no problem.
>
> But, now, I wanna do it with the real system... and I've always an
> error when
> trying to publish my config file:
>
>    "while: Stack overflow in regexp matcher".
>
> Nothing gets published. Of course, my `.emacs' file is quite long,
> but that
> worked within similar technology (htmlize [¹]) with Muse.
>
> This is my simplified `dot-emacs.org' file:

> #+TITLE:        Emacs Init File
> #+LANGUAGE:     en
>

> * Init File
>
>  Here is my init file:
>
> #+INCLUDE: "~/.emacs" src emacs-lisp
>
>  Rather long, no?
>
> Can anyone help me, please, suggesting me how to go one step further
> to the
> light?
>
> Best regards,
>  Seb
>
> [¹] Yes, I'm using the version of Carsten, being Emacs 23 user.
>
> --
> Sébastien Vauban

=======================
PLEASE NOTE NEW ADDRESS
=======================
prof.dr. Carsten Dominik				dominik@uva.nl
Astronomical Institute 'Anton Pannekoek' 	 	www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik
Faculty of Science, University of Amsterdam		phone 	+31-20-5257477/7491
SCIENCE PARK 904, ROOM C4-106			fax   	+31-20-5257484
1098 XH Amsterdam, The Netherlands
mail: PO BOX 94249, 1090GE, Amsterdam

* Re: Error "while: Stack overflow in regexp matcher"
@ 2009-09-01  0:28   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-09-01  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:

> Sebastien has now (off-list) made it possible for me to
> reproduce this bug.  Which is why it finally has been fixed.

Cool!  I actually ran into this bug a couple of days ago.  My solution
at the time was to rip out half of the stuff in my
#+begin_example...#+end_example and put the entire thing in a :noexport:
task so I still had the original.

It works great now!  Thanks for fixing it.

-Bernt

* Re: Error "while: Stack overflow in regexp matcher"
@ 2009-09-02 16:05   ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2009-09-02 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2009, at 11:12 AM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to publish my `.emacs' file onto the Web, for interested people
>> to come and copy stuff they find valuable. My turn to do it.
>>
>> I did that in the past with Muse, no problem.
>>
>> But, now, I wanna do it with the real system... and I've always an error
>> when trying to publish my config file:
>>
>>    "while: Stack overflow in regexp matcher".
>>
>> Nothing gets published. Of course, my `.emacs' file is quite long, but that
>> worked within similar technology (htmlize [¹]) with Muse.
>>
>> [¹] Yes, I'm using the version of Carsten, being Emacs 23 user.
>
> Sebastien has now (off-list) made it possible for me to reproduce this bug.
> Which is why it finally has been fixed.

Thank you very much. This works as expected [²].

Fan-tas-tic!

Thanks for all,
  Seb

[²] The only minor thing -- this is a small detail! -- is that my buffer uses
    `outline-minor-mode' and Org-level-* titles in comments (based on the code
    of Tassilo) for enhancing the readability of any long file (here, my
    `.emacs').

    While these titles are properly highlighted (other color, bigger font)
    when read under Emacs, they are not in the HTMLized version of the buffer.

    ;;** --[ Environment ]---------------------

    simply becomes:

    in HTML, while it should be fontified as the Org-level-1 face:

    (org-level-1 ((t (:foreground "cornflower blue" :weight bold
    :height 1.8 :family "Arial"))))

@ 2009-09-03  6:51     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-03  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 2, 2009, at 6:05 PM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> On Jul 15, 2009, at 11:12 AM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to publish my `.emacs' file onto the Web, for
>>> interested people
>>> to come and copy stuff they find valuable. My turn to do it.
>>>
>>> I did that in the past with Muse, no problem.
>>>
>>> But, now, I wanna do it with the real system... and I've always an
>>> error
>>> when trying to publish my config file:
>>>
>>>   "while: Stack overflow in regexp matcher".
>>>
>>> Nothing gets published. Of course, my `.emacs' file is quite long,
>>> but that
>>> worked within similar technology (htmlize [¹]) with Muse.
>>>
>>> [¹] Yes, I'm using the version of Carsten, being Emacs 23 user.
>>
>> Sebastien has now (off-list) made it possible for me to reproduce
>> this bug.
>> Which is why it finally has been fixed.
>
> Thank you very much. This works as expected [²].
>
> Fan-tas-tic!
>
> Thanks for all,
>  Seb
>
> [²] The only minor thing -- this is a small detail! -- is that my
> buffer uses
>    `outline-minor-mode' and Org-level-* titles in comments (based on
> the code
>    of Tassilo) for enhancing the readability of any long file (here,
> my
>    `.emacs').
>
>    While these titles are properly highlighted (other color, bigger
> font)
>    when read under Emacs, they are not in the HTMLized version of
> the buffer.

What is the setup for getting this special fontification?
How do you activate it?  In a mode hook?

Org just sets the proper mode to get the fontification, so
I do not understand why this would not work.

- Carsten

@ 2009-09-03  7:54       ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2009-09-03  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Sep 2, 2009, at 6:05 PM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> Carsten Dominik wrote:

>>> Sebastien has now (off-list) made it possible for me to reproduce this
>>> bug. Which is why it finally has been fixed.
>>
>> Thank you very much. This works as expected [²]. Fan-tas-tic!
>>
>> Thanks for all,
>>  Seb
>>
>> [²] The only minor thing -- this is a small detail! -- is that my buffer
>>     uses `outline-minor-mode' and Org-level-* titles in comments (based on
>>     the code of Tassilo) for enhancing the readability of any long file
>>     (here, my `.emacs').
>>
>>     While these titles are properly highlighted (other color, bigger font)
>>     when read under Emacs, they are not in the HTMLized version of the
>>     buffer.

>>    ;;** --[ Environment ]---------------------
>>
>>    simply becomes:

>> [ Environment ]---------------------</span>
>>
>>    in HTML, while it should be fontified as the Org-level-1 face:

>>    (org-level-1 ((t (:foreground "cornflower blue" :weight bold
>>    :height 1.8 :family "Arial"))))
>
> What is the setup for getting this special fontification?

Having such a code in your `.emacs' file:

;; Org-style folding for a `.emacs' (and much more)

(defun my-outline-regexp ()
  "Calculate the outline regexp for the current mode."
  (let ((comment-starter (replace-regexp-in-string
                          "[[:space:]]+" "" comment-start)))
    (when (string= comment-start ";")
      (setq comment-starter ";;"))
    (concat comment-starter "[*]+ ")))

(defun my-outline-minor-mode-hook ()
  (interactive)
  (setq outline-regexp (my-outline-regexp))

  ;; highlight the headings
  (let ((heading-1-regexp
          (concat (substring outline-regexp 0 -1) "\\{1\\} \\(.*\\)"))
        (heading-2-regexp
          (concat (substring outline-regexp 0 -1) "\\{2\\} \\(.*\\)"))
        (heading-3-regexp
          (concat (substring outline-regexp 0 -1) "\\{3\\} \\(.*\\)"))
        (heading-4-regexp
          (concat (substring outline-regexp 0 -1) "\\{4,\\} \\(.*\\)")))
    (font-lock-add-keywords
     nil
     `((,heading-1-regexp 1 'org-level-1 t)
       (,heading-2-regexp 1 'org-level-2 t)
       (,heading-3-regexp 1 'org-level-3 t)
       (,heading-4-regexp 1 'org-level-4 t)))))

(add-hook 'outline-minor-mode-hook
          'my-outline-minor-mode-hook)

> How do you activate it?  In a mode hook?

... and adding "outline-minor" as a cookie or local variable in the file where
you want to use the `org-level-*' titles.

In my case, I have this at the bottom of my `.emacs' file:

;; This is for the sake of Emacs.
;; Local Variables:
;; coding: utf-8
;; mode: emacs-lisp
;; mode: outline-minor
;; ispell-local-dictionary: "american"
;; End:

;;; .emacs ends here

Now, you can add `;;*' and `;;**', etc. as headings in your `.emacs' and cycle
using `M-tab', `M-left' and `M-right' will collapse or expand all headings
respectively.

See the thread "Org-style folding for a .emacs" discussed here in mid-July:

http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org/msg15439.html

@ 2009-09-03  8:02         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-03  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastien,

I see.

Well, Org does not *visit* the file, so these variables are
not evaluated. Also, the argument of the #+include line determines
the major mode, not the local variable setting.

You can hack your way through this by adding a function
to org-src-mode-hook that will scan for

    mode: outline-minor

and turn it on if found.

I guess I could also consider to fully *visit* an include file,
to work around these restrictions.  The main reason why I am not
doing this right now is because the exact same mechanism is used for
inline examples and include files, and it would be significant
work to change this.....

- Carsten

@ 2009-09-03 12:17           ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2009-09-03 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> I see.
>
> Well, Org does not *visit* the file, so these variables are
> not evaluated. Also, the argument of the #+include line determines
> the major mode, not the local variable setting.
>
> You can hack your way through this by adding a function
> to org-src-mode-hook that will scan for
>
>    mode: outline-minor
>
> and turn it on if found.
>
> I guess I could also consider to fully *visit* an include file,
> to work around these restrictions.  The main reason why I am not
> doing this right now is because the exact same mechanism is used for
> inline examples and include files, and it would be significant
> work to change this.....

I understand the problem. I'll follow your guideline if I wanna fix it.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban