* Regaring heading re-organization.
@ 2009-08-25 11:39 Noorul Islam K M
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Noorul Islam K M @ 2009-08-25 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hey all,

Today I was re-arranging my headings. While doing that I faced this
issue.  For example consider the following org file contents.

* Level 1
** Level 2
*** Level 3
**** Level 4
**** Level 4
**** Level 4

If I keep the cursor on Level 3 heading and press M-left, Shouldn't the
number of '*'s for the headings Level 4 become 3?

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: Regaring heading re-organization.
@ 2009-08-25 13:37 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-08-25 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noorul Islam K M; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Noorul Islam K M wrote:

> Today I was re-arranging my headings. While doing that I faced this
> issue.  For example consider the following org file contents.
>
> * Level 1
> ** Level 2
> *** Level 3
> **** Level 4
> **** Level 4
> **** Level 4
>
> If I keep the cursor on Level 3 heading and press M-left, Shouldn't the
> number of '*'s for the headings Level 4 become 3?

To move the children of the heading, you'll have to use M-S-left.

M-left/right moves only the individual heading.

M-S-left/right moves the heading and all subtrees.

- Matt

* Re: Regaring heading re-organization.
@ 2009-08-25 14:16 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-08-25 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noorul Islam K M; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Noorul Islam K M <gnukid@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey all,
>
> Today I was re-arranging my headings. While doing that I faced this
> issue.  For example consider the following org file contents.
>
> * Level 1
> ** Level 2
> *** Level 3
> **** Level 4
> **** Level 4
> **** Level 4
>
> If I keep the cursor on Level 3 heading and press M-left, Shouldn't the
> number of '*'s for the headings Level 4 become 3?

No.  M-left changes only this headline.  You want S-M-left to change the
entire tree.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: OrgmodeRegaring heading re-organization.
@ 2009-08-25 15:31 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2009-08-25 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noorul Islam K M; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

NIKM> * Level 1
NIKM> ** Level 2
NIKM> *** Level 3
NIKM> **** Level 4
NIKM> **** Level 4
NIKM> **** Level 4

NIKM> If I keep the cursor on Level 3 heading and press M-left, Shouldn't the
NIKM> number of '*'s for the headings Level 4 become 3?

No, the default is to move only that line.  Try M-shift-left instead to
move the "tree".
--
\ Wes Hardaker                           http://pontifications.hardakers.net /
 \_____ "In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than ________/