From: Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk>
To: "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com>
Cc: "emacs-orgmode list" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>,
	Vauban
	<public-wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@plane.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: How to get pretty printed source code in PDFLaTeX
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 13:37:54 -0400	[thread overview]

"Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:

> Hi Dan,
>
> One of the design goals of LaTeX is to use semantic markup in the
> source and to keep details of representation separate, typically in a
> style or class file that is used to render the semantic markup.  From
> this perspective, the cleanest implementation would be to create a
> LaTeX style or class file for use with org-mode, where the gory
> details of listings vs. minted, etc.

Yes, although may I repeat that in the case of minted there are no gory
details. The patch I submitted already works to give org users
out-of-the-box pretty fontified code with nothing more required than
installation of pygments and putting minted.sty in a suitable
place. Pending the work on listings that you and Seb and I are
proposing, the minted patch is therefore a useful advance for org
mode. It can always be removed later if it becomes clear that it is
completely redundant in view of newly improved org/listings support.

But yes, absolutely, what you say is definitely helpful for those
planning work on improving listings support.

Dan