From: Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>
To: nicholas.dokos@hp.com
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Iterate over list with `org-next-item'
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 21:33:55 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

> Zachary Young <zacharysyoung@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I am trying to iterate over a list with `org-next-item'. I just
>> tried:
>>
>> (ignore-errors (while (equal nil (org-next-item))))
>>
>> and it worked.
>>
>> Is there a better way to do this? I'm not very versed in Elisp, and
>> `org-next-item' returning `nil' on success, and throwing an error
>> at the end of the list is throwing me a bit.
>>

> It's always a good idea to browse the org-mode code itself for
> examples: after all it's been written by (or vetted by) the experts,
> so it should provide a good foundation.

> I found three examples of org-next-item usage, two of which are
> shown here (the third one is a bit subtler):

> * org.el:

> (defun org-skip-over-state-notes () "Skip past the list of State
> notes in an entry." (if (looking-at "\n[ \t]*- State") (forward-char
> 1)) (while (looking-at "[ \t]*- State") (condition-case nil
> (org-next-item) (error (org-end-of-item))))) --8<---------------cut
> here---------------end--------------->8---

> * org-mouse.el:

> (defun org-mouse-for-each-item (function) (save-excursion
> (ignore-errors (while t (org-previous-item))) (ignore-errors (while
> t (funcall function) (org-next-item))))) --8<---------------cut
> here---------------end--------------->8---

> As you can see, the second almost matches what you came up with, but
> the condition is simpler: the code *uses* the error raised to get
> out of the (otherwise infinite) loop, so there is no need to check
> what org-next-item returns.

I strongly advise against using `org-next-item' in a defun. It is, in
its actual form, meant for interactive use only.

You should have a look at `org-get-next-item' and
`org-get-previous-item' instead. I left a note about it at line 874 in
org-list.el (yes, I know...).

There is also `org-apply-on-list' that might be of some help.

Regards,

-- Nicolas