* orgmode / emacs /msmtp on winxp
@ 2011-01-22 22:55 Erwin Panen
From: Erwin Panen @ 2011-01-22 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I guess this is perhaps more emacs related but here goes:

I'm trying to get going with gnus.
My system is running XP.
I have msmtp installed and working. (tested using cli)
In emacs using eshell and issuing msmtp --v I get the correct output.

Versions:
Gnus 5.13
Emacs 23.2.1
msmtp 1.4.17

What goes wrong is this:
In emacs I issue M-x mail, fill in, and C-c C-c to send => this opens my
Thunderbird client.

I've added the equivalent of these to .emacs and .gnus
;; with Emacs 23.1, you have to set this explicitly (in MS Windows)
;; otherwise it tries to send through OS associated mail client
(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
;; we substitute sendmail with msmtp
(setq sendmail-program "c:/gnu/bin/msmtp.exe")
;;need to tell msmtp which account we're using
(setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "anderson"))
;; you might want to set the following too
(setq mail-host-address "gmail.com")
(setq user-full-name "Anderson Guy")
(setq user-mail-address "sivaram.notthere@gmail.com")

What can I do to debug this behaviour?

* Re: orgmode / emacs /msmtp on winxp
@ 2011-01-23  0:07 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-01-23  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erwin Panen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Erwin Panen <erwinpanen@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I guess this is perhaps more emacs related but here goes:
>
> I'm trying to get going with gnus.
> My system is running XP.
> I have msmtp installed and working. (tested using cli)
> In emacs using eshell and issuing msmtp --v I get the correct output.
>
> Versions:
> Gnus 5.13
> Emacs 23.2.1
> msmtp 1.4.17
>
> What goes wrong is this:
> In emacs I issue M-x mail, fill in, and C-c C-c to send => this opens
> my Thunderbird client.
>
> I've added the equivalent of these to .emacs and .gnus
> ;; with Emacs 23.1, you have to set this explicitly (in MS Windows)
> ;; otherwise it tries to send through OS associated mail client
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
> ;; we substitute sendmail with msmtp
> (setq sendmail-program "c:/gnu/bin/msmtp.exe")
> ;;need to tell msmtp which account we're using
> (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "anderson"))
> ;; you might want to set the following too
> (setq mail-host-address "gmail.com")
> (setq user-full-name "Anderson Guy")
> (setq user-mail-address "sivaram.notthere@gmail.com")
>
> What can I do to debug this behaviour?

Probably can't help you much but I have =mail-user-agent= set to
=gnus-user-agent= in my case.  You may wish to set it to
=sendmail-user-agent=.  I don't use MS Windows, mind you.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.232.g8d003.dirty)