* Hide / expand tags
@ 2011-04-11 18:57 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2011-04-11 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hey list!

Is it possible to hide tags?

Rationale: Sometimes an item has so many tags, that it becomes kind of
annoying visually.

It'd be nice to have a command to hide/expand tags.  What do you think?

Cheers,

Marcelo.

* Re: Hide / expand tags
@ 2011-04-12  9:44 ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2011-04-12  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 20:57, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
<celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to hide tags?

No.

> Rationale: Sometimes an item has so many tags, that it becomes kind of
> annoying visually.
> It'd be nice to have a command to hide/expand tags.  What do you think?

I think it'd be nice for this to have the _alternative_ to put the
tags into the properties drawer and occasionally view and edit them
with a column view:

#+SPECIAL_PROPERTIES: TAGS=drawer:PROPERTIES   <= only a suggestion
* TODO xy
  :PROPERTIES:
  :TAGS:     :work:home:
  :END:

Maybe this could also be useful for some other special properties, see
the thread
"Why are special properties like CLOSED etc. not in the properties drawer?"
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/40571/focus=40579

Btw.: I did also not find a way to change the alignment of tags in the
agenda view like it is possible for Org files with org-tags-column ->
another reason I kind of avoid tags and try to use CATEGORY instead,
but there it is not easy to have multiple items like e. g. `work' and
`home'. What a pity that this way I miss tag features like e. g. the
well supported tag search or the single key tag setting described at
the end of
http://orgmode.org/manual/Setting-tags.html#Setting-tags

Michael

* Re: Hide / expand tags
@ 2011-04-12 10:50   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-04-12 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 20:57, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
> <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to hide tags?
>
> No.
>
>> Rationale: Sometimes an item has so many tags, that it becomes kind of
>> annoying visually.
>> It'd be nice to have a command to hide/expand tags.  What do you think?
>
> I think it'd be nice for this to have the _alternative_ to put the
> tags into the properties drawer and occasionally view and edit them
> with a column view:
>
> #+SPECIAL_PROPERTIES: TAGS=drawer:PROPERTIES   <= only a suggestion
> * TODO xy
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :TAGS:     :work:home:
>   :END:

+1 on that  - I frequently mess up my org items when modifying the
subject because of the long line including tags.

* Re: Hide / expand tags
@ 2011-04-12 14:20 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-04-12 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible to hide tags?
>
> Rationale: Sometimes an item has so many tags, that it becomes kind of
> annoying visually.
>
> It'd be nice to have a command to hide/expand tags.  What do you think?

Could you please explain in which context you would like to hide tags?

If you'd like to hide them in the agenda, there are variables to do so:

 - org-agenda-remove-tags
 - org-agenda-hide-tags-regexp

If you'd like to hide them in your normal org-mode files, one option is
to customize the org-tag face (i.e., to set the foreground to the same
color as the background).

Best,
Matt

* Re: Hide / expand tags
@ 2011-04-12 15:31   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-04-12 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Is it possible to hide tags?
>>
>> Rationale: Sometimes an item has so many tags, that it becomes kind of
>> annoying visually.
>>
>> It'd be nice to have a command to hide/expand tags.  What do you think?
>>

> Could you please explain in which context you would like to hide tags?
>
> If you'd like to hide them in the agenda, there are variables to do so:
>
>  - org-agenda-remove-tags
>  - org-agenda-hide-tags-regexp
>
> If you'd like to hide them in your normal org-mode files, one option is
> to customize the org-tag face (i.e., to set the foreground to the same
> color as the background).

That might be a silly/dangerous thing to do since you might corrupt your
tags without realising. I like the idea of TAGS being in the properties
I must say.

* Re: Hide / expand tags
@ 2011-04-12 17:30     ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-04-12 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>
>> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Is it possible to hide tags?
>>>
>>> Rationale: Sometimes an item has so many tags, that it becomes kind of
>>> annoying visually.
>>>
>>> It'd be nice to have a command to hide/expand tags.  What do you think?
>>>

>> Could you please explain in which context you would like to hide tags?
>>
>> If you'd like to hide them in the agenda, there are variables to do so:
>>
>>  - org-agenda-remove-tags
>>  - org-agenda-hide-tags-regexp
>>
>> If you'd like to hide them in your normal org-mode files, one option is
>> to customize the org-tag face (i.e., to set the foreground to the same
>> color as the background).
>
> That might be a silly/dangerous thing to do since you might corrupt your
> tags without realising.

Very good point. Scratch that idea. Since I myself have no desire or
need to hide tags, I threw out the idea without thinking it through.
Thanks for pointing out the danger.

- Matt

* Re: Hide / expand tags
       [not found] <qcipujvj3h.fsf@news.eternal&#45;september.org>
@ 2018-12-15 17:33 ` Maxim Stolyarchuk
From: Maxim Stolyarchuk @ 2018-12-15 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

> Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 20:57, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
>> <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is it possible to hide tags?
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> Rationale: Sometimes an item has so many tags, that it becomes kind of
>>> annoying visually.
>>> It'd be nice to have a command to hide/expand tags.  What do you think?
>>
>> I think it'd be nice for this to have the _alternative_ to put the
>> tags into the properties drawer and occasionally view and edit them
>> with a column view:
>>
>> #+SPECIAL_PROPERTIES: TAGS=drawer:PROPERTIES   <= only a suggestion
>> * TODO xy
>>   :PROPERTIES:
>>   :TAGS:     :work:home:
>>   :END:
>
> +1 on that  - I frequently mess up my org items when modifying the
> subject because of the long line including tags.

Hello,

After seven years, I wonder what has come of it? Is it possible to move
tags away from a headline into the properties drawer without losing
support for them?

Maxim

* Re: Hide / expand tags
@ 2018-12-16  0:14   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-12-16  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Stolyarchuk; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Maxim Stolyarchuk <maxim.stolyarchuk@gmail.com> writes:

> After seven years, I wonder what has come of it? Is it possible to move
> tags away from a headline into the properties drawer without losing
> support for them?

No, it isn't.

I don't think that's a good idea, either.

Nicolas Goaziou