* org-contacts or bbdb?
@ 2011-10-20 21:54 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-10-20 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I would like to manage my contacts, so that I can
- easily search them
- add new email addresses from gnus (summary buffer)
- complete email addresses in gnus (message buffer and prompts in
  mini-buffer)
- and perhaps more in the future

Could you guide me please, what to choose, org-contacts or bbdb?
I don't see the advantages of the one or of the other...
TIA for any hints!

I'm just beginning to learn org-mode, thanks for this nice software!

--
           Peter

* Re: org-contacts or bbdb?
@ 2011-10-20 23:18 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2011-10-20 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

pmlists@free.fr (Peter Münster) writes:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to manage my contacts, so that I can
> - easily search them
> - add new email addresses from gnus (summary buffer)
> - complete email addresses in gnus (message buffer and prompts in
>   mini-buffer)
> - and perhaps more in the future
>
> Could you guide me please, what to choose, org-contacts or bbdb?
> I don't see the advantages of the one or of the other...
> TIA for any hints!

I used org-contacts but now use bbdb3.  I think bbdb does it all and
it's quite nice.

I don't remember why I dropped Org-contant, but I think I found it hard
to manage my contacts in the way I would ideally like to with it.

Cheers,
Rasmus

--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: org-contacts or bbdb?
@ 2011-10-21  2:21 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-10-21  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Oct 21 2011, Peter Münster wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to manage my contacts, so that I can
> - easily search them
> - add new email addresses from gnus (summary buffer)
> - complete email addresses in gnus (message buffer and prompts in
>   mini-buffer)
> - and perhaps more in the future
>
> Could you guide me please, what to choose, org-contacts or bbdb?
> I don't see the advantages of the one or of the other...
> TIA for any hints!

With those requirements, either will probably do fine. I use BBDB
because it's very well tuned to gnus, and you can do quite a bit to the
database just from the gnus summary/article buffers.

As Rasmus mentioned, if you use BBDB you should get version 3, it's
significantly better than the previous version. There's a slow movement
towards better import/export functions, which I think has been one of
the major gripes about BBDB in the past (there are probably more I'm not
aware of).

Good luck,
Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.0.90.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
 of 2011-10-06 on pellet

* Re: org-contacts or bbdb?
@ 2011-10-21  7:57   ` henry atting
From: henry atting @ 2011-10-21  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> pmlists@free.fr (Peter Münster) writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to manage my contacts, so that I can
>> - easily search them
>> - add new email addresses from gnus (summary buffer)
>> - complete email addresses in gnus (message buffer and prompts in
>>   mini-buffer)
>> - and perhaps more in the future
>>
>> Could you guide me please, what to choose, org-contacts or bbdb?
>> I don't see the advantages of the one or of the other...
>> TIA for any hints!
>
> I used org-contacts but now use bbdb3.  I think bbdb does it all and
> it's quite nice.
>
> I don't remember why I dropped Org-contant, but I think I found it hard
> to manage my contacts in the way I would ideally like to with it.
> [...]

+1

As I thougt that bbdb is no longer developped I switched to
org-contacts some time ago - which did not satisfy my needs in some
way. The (re-)discovery of bbdb3 elicits a sigh of relief...

Thanks,
henry

--
http://literaturlatenight.de

* Re: org-contacts or bbdb?
@ 2011-10-21 17:05   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2011-10-21 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

EA> As Rasmus mentioned, if you use BBDB you should get version 3, it's
EA> significantly better than the previous version. There's a slow movement
EA> towards better import/export functions, which I think has been one of
EA> the major gripes about BBDB in the past (there are probably more I'm not
EA> aware of).

BBDB is great, though I haven't switched to BBDB3 yet because of
incompatible changes I haven't looked into yet.

I actually would like to use org-contacts because I think the editable
form is significantly nicer than bbdb's.  BBDB is great, but you can't
go mess with the database easily.  EG, with BBDB if one area gets a new
area code you can't go quickly search/replace for all records replacing
111 with 222.  With org-contacts it's a simple search/replace edit.

Note I wrote a bbdb to org-contacts converter:

  http://www.hardakers.net/code/bbdb-to-org-contacts/

But what I really want is a bi-directional sync, of course...

--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:  http://capturedonearth.com/

* Re: org-contacts or bbdb?
@ 2011-10-21 17:44     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-10-21 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Wes and all,

Wes Hardaker wrote:

> EA> As Rasmus mentioned, if you use BBDB you should get version 3, it's
> EA> significantly better than the previous version. There's a slow movement
> EA> towards better import/export functions, which I think has been one of
> EA> the major gripes about BBDB in the past (there are probably more I'm not
> EA> aware of).
>
> BBDB is great, though I haven't switched to BBDB3 yet because of
> incompatible changes I haven't looked into yet.
>
> I actually would like to use org-contacts because I think the editable
> form is significantly nicer than bbdb's.  BBDB is great, but you can't
> go mess with the database easily.  EG, with BBDB if one area gets a new
> area code you can't go quickly search/replace for all records replacing
> 111 with 222.  With org-contacts it's a simple search/replace edit.
>
> Note I wrote a bbdb to org-contacts converter:
>
>   http://www.hardakers.net/code/bbdb-to-org-contacts/
>
> But what I really want is a bi-directional sync, of course...

I share your point of view about editability of org-contacts. I clearly would
like all my data to become Orgified in some way.

Though, I did not do the change from my bbdb (still 2.35) to Org-contacts as,
for me, one thing that really is missing is the ability to recognize emails
and author names: I want to be alerted if my buddy "John Doe" uses a mail I
wasn't aware of, and want to be offered the possibility to add it in my
database.

Same for the same email address, but with a different name.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: org-contacts or bbdb?
@ 2011-10-23  9:36   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-10-23  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thank you all for your points of view!
So I'll try bbdb-3. (I've already started a bit.)

On Fri, Oct 21 2011, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> As Rasmus mentioned, if you use BBDB you should get version 3, it's
> significantly better than the previous version. There's a slow movement
> towards better import/export functions, which I think has been one of
> the major gripes about BBDB in the past (there are probably more I'm not
> aware of).

So perhaps Julien just wrote org-contacts, because bbdb-3 did not exist then?

On Fri, Oct 21 2011, Wes Hardaker wrote:

> go mess with the database easily.  EG, with BBDB if one area gets a new
> area code you can't go quickly search/replace for all records replacing
> 111 with 222.  With org-contacts it's a simple search/replace edit.

But you can open the bbdb-file and do the replacement there, can't you?

Greetings,
--
           Peter

* Re: org-contacts or bbdb?
@ 2011-10-24 14:46     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2011-10-24 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Münster; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> go mess with the database easily.  EG, with BBDB if one area gets a new
>> area code you can't go quickly search/replace for all records replacing
>> 111 with 222.  With org-contacts it's a simple search/replace edit.

PM> But you can open the bbdb-file and do the replacement there, can't
PM> you?

As a database, elisp dumps don't seem safe to edit.  Yes you can, but
the likely hood of running into other conflicts are problematic (IE,
matching just the number 111 in just the area-code field when there is
no easy near-by matching string to anchor a regexp against).