* Any way to change the *
@ 2012-09-01  5:44 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-09-01  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi list,

I was wondering if it's possible to change the face of the asterisk used
for the bullet points. Using  a smoother UTF-8 character or even an image
would be neat. Is that possible?

Thanks,

- Marcelo.

* Re: Any way to change the *
@ 2012-09-01  9:36 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-09-01  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hello,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> I was wondering if it's possible to change the face of the asterisk used
> for the bullet points. Using  a smoother UTF-8 character or even an image
> would be neat. Is that possible?

You can change the face of the asterisk, but it will still be an
asterisk. So, that's not what you're looking after. You need overlays to
visually change the symbol.

It's a not-so-rare request. Thus, if Someone implements a minor mode
adding overlays on these stars (or even a more general "beautify"
minor-mode adding overlays on list items, todo keywords...), it could
make a nice addition to contrib/.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Any way to change the *
@ 2012-09-02  6:05   ` Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-09-02  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode

Oh, indeed -- the face is simply the font settings, the overlay has more
display flexibility (i.e images), right?

> It's a not-so-rare request. Thus, if Someone implements a minor mode
> adding overlays on these stars (or even a more general "beautify"
> minor-mode adding overlays on list items, todo keywords...), it could
> make a nice addition to contrib/.

Definitely. I thought it was already possible somehow. Anyway,  it's only
aesthetics, so not high priority, but would still be nice to have.

On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I was wondering if it's possible to change the face of the asterisk used
> > for the bullet points. Using  a smoother UTF-8 character or even an image
> > would be neat. Is that possible?
>
> You can change the face of the asterisk, but it will still be an
> asterisk. So, that's not what you're looking after. You need overlays to
> visually change the symbol.
>
> It's a not-so-rare request. Thus, if Someone implements a minor mode
> adding overlays on these stars (or even a more general "beautify"
> minor-mode adding overlays on list items, todo keywords...), it could
> make a nice addition to contrib/.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Any way to change the *
@ 2012-09-02  8:07     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-09-02  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hello,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Oh, indeed -- the face is simply the font settings, the overlay has more
> display flexibility (i.e images), right?

Yes. For example, that's how LaTeX fragment preview (C-c C-x C-l) is
done.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Any way to change the *
@ 2012-09-02  8:34       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2012-09-02  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa

On 2.9.2012, at 10:07, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Oh, indeed -- the face is simply the font settings, the overlay has more
>> display flexibility (i.e images), right?
>
> Yes. For example, that's how LaTeX fragment preview (C-c C-x C-l) is
> done.

Maybe org-icons.el will work?  Have not used it lately, so I do not know what the status is.

https://github.com/ngirard/org-icons

- Carsten