* bug#12702: 24.2; Orgmode Refile complains "Not bookmark format"
       [not found] <50855D96.9000302@univ-brest.fr>
@ 2012-10-22 16:15 ` Glenn Morris
       [not found] ` <dd30axz3h.fsf@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-22 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Schaeffer; +Cc: 12702

Jonathan Schaeffer wrote:

> To reproduce :
>
> Create a .org file, create 2 level-1 entries. Create one level-2 entry
> and hit C-c C-w to refile it into the other level-1 entry.
>
> Like this :
>
> * Entry One
> * Entry Two
> ** Refile Me
>
> The level-2 entry is copied in the correct location but is not removed
> from original location.
> Minibuffer shows message "Not Bookmark Format". And the file looks like :

Thanks for the report, but it works fine for me with Emacs 24.2.
Can you give a complete recipe starting from emacs -Q?

@ 2012-10-23  7:06   ` Jonathan Schaeffer
       [not found]   ` <508641DE.9080101@univ-brest.fr>
From: Jonathan Schaeffer @ 2012-10-23  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 12702

Le 22/10/2012 18:15, Glenn Morris a écrit :
> Jonathan Schaeffer wrote:
>
>> To reproduce :
>>
>> Create a .org file, create 2 level-1 entries. Create one level-2 entry
>> and hit C-c C-w to refile it into the other level-1 entry.
>>
>> Like this :
>>
>> * Entry One
>> * Entry Two
>> ** Refile Me
>>
>> The level-2 entry is copied in the correct location but is not removed
>> from original location.
>> Minibuffer shows message "Not Bookmark Format". And the file looks like :
>
> Thanks for the report, but it works fine for me with Emacs 24.2.
> Can you give a complete recipe starting from emacs -Q?

Hi Glenn,

(I made a reply all, is that alright ?)

with emacs -Q, I can not reproduce the bug. But refile does not work at
all, (Complains : wrong type argument arrayp,nil).
I do :
1. emacs -Q
2. C-x C-f refiletest.org
3. Fill the buffer with :
* Entry One
* Entry Two
** Refile Me

4. Hit C-c C-w
5. The entry is duplicated and I can read the error message "Not
bookmark format)

If, instead of visiting a file, I open just a new buffer with "C-x b
test.org", the behaviour is different :
On refile (C-c C-w) nothing happens but the error message shows:
wrong type argument: arrayp, nil

Just to be sure, I moved the ~/.emacs away, same result.

I hope this helps. I have the archlinux build of emacs, so maybe the
error is on the packaging side ?

cheers,

jonathan

--
IUEM - Service Informatique
rue Dumont D'Urville

@ 2012-10-23  7:50     ` Glenn Morris
       [not found]       ` <50865081.5030303@univ-brest.fr>
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-23  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Schaeffer; +Cc: 12702

Jonathan Schaeffer wrote:

> (I made a reply all, is that alright ?)

Yes, that's the right thing to do.

> with emacs -Q, I can not reproduce the bug. But refile does not work
> at all, (Complains : wrong type argument arrayp,nil).
> I do :
> 1. emacs -Q
> 2. C-x C-f refiletest.org
> 3. Fill the buffer with :
> * Entry One
> * Entry Two
> ** Refile Me
>
> 4. Hit C-c C-w
> 5. The entry is duplicated and I can read the error message "Not
> bookmark format)

Sorry, this works fine for me with Emacs 24.2. Maybe someone who
actually uses Org will step in and help...

> If, instead of visiting a file, I open just a new buffer with "C-x b
> test.org", the behaviour is different :
> On refile (C-c C-w) nothing happens but the error message shows:
> wrong type argument: arrayp, nil

This doesn't make sense to me; because just doing `C-x b test.org' creates
a buffer in fundamental mode, where C-c C-w is not bound to any key.

It seems like your Emacs must be customized in some way, even with
`emacs -Q'...

@ 2012-10-23  8:08       ` Jonathan Schaeffer
       [not found]       ` <50865081.5030303@univ-brest.fr>
From: Jonathan Schaeffer @ 2012-10-23  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 12702

Le 23/10/2012 09:50, Glenn Morris a écrit :
> Jonathan Schaeffer wrote:
>
>> If, instead of visiting a file, I open just a new buffer with "C-x b
>> test.org", the behaviour is different :
>> On refile (C-c C-w) nothing happens but the error message shows:
>> wrong type argument: arrayp, nil
>
> This doesn't make sense to me; because just doing `C-x b test.org' creates
> a buffer in fundamental mode, where C-c C-w is not bound to any key.
Sorry, I missed a step : I manualy load the org-mode mode (Alt-x
org-mode) before doing anything in the buffer.
This might be an orgmode bug, from what I read on the internet.

> It seems like your Emacs must be customized in some way, even with
> `emacs -Q'...
I'll submit a post on Archlinux forum to see if someone can reproduce this.

jonathan

--
IUEM - Service Informatique
rue Dumont D'Urville

@ 2012-10-23 15:57         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-10-23 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Schaeffer; +Cc: Glenn Morris, 12702

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Schaeffer <jonathan.schaeffer@univ-brest.fr> writes:

> I'll submit a post on Archlinux forum to see if someone can reproduce
> this.

You can also try reporting your problem to the emacs-orgmode mailing
list: https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode

There are some ArchLinux Org-mode users there.

--
 Bastien

* bug#12702: 24.2; Orgmode Refile complains "Not bookmark format"
@ 2012-10-23 15:59           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-23 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: 12702, Jonathan Schaeffer

Bastien wrote:

> You can also try reporting your problem to the emacs-orgmode mailing
> list: https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode

It's already there, since I reassigned this bug.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-10/msg00563.html

@ 2012-10-23 16:06         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-23 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Schaeffer; +Cc: 12702

Jonathan Schaeffer wrote:

> Sorry, I missed a step : I manualy load the org-mode mode (Alt-x
> org-mode) before doing anything in the buffer.
> This might be an orgmode bug, from what I read on the internet.

I can reproduce that in Emacs 24.2 and current trunk.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
  file-truename(nil)
  find-buffer-visiting(nil)
  org-refile-check-position((#("Entry One" 0 9 (face org-level-1 fontified t))
  org-refile-get-location("Refile subtree \"Refile Me\" to" nil nil nil)
  org-refile(nil)
  call-interactively(org-refile nil nil)

org-refile-check-position does not handle being called from a buffer not
visiting a file.

(Still no idea about the original issue.)

@ 2012-10-23 16:24 ` Glenn Morris
       [not found]   ` <5087B1AB.3030404__3093.93068678236$1351070207$gmane$org@univ-brest.fr>
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-23 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Schaeffer; +Cc: 12702

Jonathan Schaeffer wrote:

> To reproduce :
>
> Create a .org file, create 2 level-1 entries. Create one level-2 entry
> and hit C-c C-w to refile it into the other level-1 entry.
>
> Like this :
>
> * Entry One
> * Entry Two
> ** Refile Me
>
> The level-2 entry is copied in the correct location but is not removed
> from original location.
> Minibuffer shows message "Not Bookmark Format". And the file looks like :
>
> * Entry One
> ** Refile Me
> * Entry Two
> ** Refile Me

I found a way to reproduce this: have a corrupt bookmarks file.
Check the contents of your bookmark-default-file. Try (re)moving it.

Perhaps Org could trap and report such errors more gracefully.

* bug#12702:  bug#12702: 24.2; Orgmode Refile complains "Not bookmark format"
@ 2012-10-23 20:52           ` Philipp Kroos
From: Philipp Kroos @ 2012-10-23 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Glenn Morris, Jonathan Schaeffer, 12702

Hi,

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Jonathan Schaeffer <jonathan.schaeffer@univ-brest.fr> writes:
>
>> I'll submit a post on Archlinux forum to see if someone can reproduce
>> this.
>
> You can also try reporting your problem to the emacs-orgmode mailing
> list: https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode
>
> There are some ArchLinux Org-mode users there.

I'm on Arch so I checked it with my emacs from the repositories.
I can  reproduce it, but I think it's unrelated to Archlinux.
If I enter the org-buffer with C-x b, M-x org-mode,
M-x toggle-debug-on-error shows that the error (wrong-type-argument
arryp nil) goes back to org-refile-check-position in org.el.
The let-form sets `file` to (nth 1 refile-pointer), which is `nil` *if*
the buffer was loaded like mentioned. This value is given to
find-buffer-visiting, from where file-truename eventually throws the error.

If the file is visited with C-x f, `file` is set to the correct value
(current directory + filename) and the refiling is correct.

Best, Philipp

* bug#12702: 24.2; Orgmode Refile complains "Not bookmark format"
@ 2012-10-24  9:15   ` Jonathan Schaeffer
       [not found]     ` <jwvfw54gc2h.fsf-monnier+emacs__40840.5437753119$1351090539$gmane$org@gnu.org>
       [not found]   ` <5087B1AB.3030404__3093.93068678236$1351070207$gmane$org@univ-brest.fr>
From: Jonathan Schaeffer @ 2012-10-24  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 12702

Le 23/10/2012 18:24, Glenn Morris a écrit :

> I found a way to reproduce this: have a corrupt bookmarks file.
> Check the contents of your bookmark-default-file. Try (re)moving it.
Wonderfull.
I had an empty ~/.emacs.d/bookmarks file.
I removed it and the problem is gone.

Thanks a lot for your help.

> Perhaps Org could trap and report such errors more gracefully.

The error message makes sense ... as soon as you know where the problem
comes from :)

cheers,

Jonathan

PS. I'm kind of new to emacs, and use orgmode intensively now, and it's
my first emacs bug report. Your reactivity is realy great, I appreciate it.

--
IUEM - Service Informatique
rue Dumont D'Urville

@ 2012-10-24 13:29     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-10-24 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Schaeffer; +Cc: Glenn Morris, 12702-done

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Schaeffer <jonathan.schaeffer@univ-brest.fr> writes:

>> Perhaps Org could trap and report such errors more gracefully.
>>
> The error message makes sense ... as soon as you know where the problem
> comes from :)

I enhanced the error message, which now says to save the buffer in a
file when refiling to the current non-file buffer.

(Reporting an error when the bookmark format is corrupted is left to
the bookmark library.)

I'm closing this bug now.

Thanks for reporting this!

--
 Bastien

* bug#12702: 24.2; Orgmode Refile complains "Not bookmark format"
@ 2012-10-24 14:54     ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]       ` <B8987BDA30BA4809913EB7116DA1939B@us.oracle.com>
       [not found]     ` <jwvfw54gc2h.fsf-monnier+emacs__40840.5437753119$1351090539$gmane$org@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-10-24 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Schaeffer; +Cc: Glenn Morris, 12702

>> I found a way to reproduce this: have a corrupt bookmarks file.
>> Check the contents of your bookmark-default-file. Try (re)moving it.
> Wonderfull.
> I had an empty ~/.emacs.d/bookmarks file.
> I removed it and the problem is gone.

Hmm... it would be good if Emacs were a bit more helpful here by
maybe including the bookmark file name in the error.

> The error message makes sense ... as soon as you know where the problem
> comes from :)

Also, while it's good to signal to the user that his bookmark file is
corrupted (and to make sure we don't overwrite it with something else),
I don't see why that should prevent Org's Refile from working.

        Stefan

* bug#12702: 24.2; Orgmode Refile complains "Not bookmark format"
@ 2012-10-24 15:09       ` Drew Adams
       [not found]       ` <B8987BDA30BA4809913EB7116DA1939B@us.oracle.com>
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-10-24 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Stefan Monnier', 'Jonathan Schaeffer'; +Cc: 12702

> >> I found a way to reproduce this: have a corrupt bookmarks file.
> >> Check the contents of your bookmark-default-file. Try
> >> (re)moving it.
> > Wonderfull. I had an empty ~/.emacs.d/bookmarks file.
> > I removed it and the problem is gone.
>
> Hmm... it would be good if Emacs were a bit more helpful here by
> maybe including the bookmark file name in the error.
>
> > The error message makes sense ... as soon as you know where
> > the problem comes from :)
>
> Also, while it's good to signal to the user that his bookmark file
> is corrupted (and to make sure we don't overwrite it with
> something else), I don't see why that should prevent Org's
> Refile from working.

Sorry, I have not been following this thread - excuse me if I misunderstand.

But AFAIK an empty bookmark file should not present any problems for Emacs (for
bookmark handling, at least, and I would hope for Org mode and anything else
too).

Is that really what the problem was - an empty bookmark file was interpreted (by
something) as a corrupt bookmark file?  If so, that in itself sounds like a bug,
to me.

I use Bookmark+, but I would guess that vanilla bookmark.el too handles the
existence of an empty bookmark file with no problem.  If not, that would be the
first thing to fix, I would think.

(Again, ignore if I've misunderstood.)

@ 2012-10-24 15:12       ` Bastien
       [not found]       ` <87d30729b0.fsf@bzg.ath.cx>
From: Bastien @ 2012-10-24 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 12702, Jonathan Schaeffer

Hi Stefan,

>> The error message makes sense ... as soon as you know where the problem
>> comes from :)
>
> Also, while it's good to signal to the user that his bookmark file is
> corrupted (and to make sure we don't overwrite it with something else),
> I don't see why that should prevent Org's Refile from working.

By default, org-refile and org-capture store bookmarks to the last
refiled/captured Org headline.  (There is org-capture-bookmark in
case users want to deactivate this for captured headlines.)

We could skip this step in Org in case the bookmark format is
corrupted, or have a more informative message that makes clear to
the user that Org tries to store a bookmark.

What do you think?

--
 Bastien

@ 2012-10-24 17:57         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-10-24 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: 12702, Jonathan Schaeffer

>>> The error message makes sense ... as soon as you know where the problem
>>> comes from :)
>> Also, while it's good to signal to the user that his bookmark file is
>> corrupted (and to make sure we don't overwrite it with something else),
>> I don't see why that should prevent Org's Refile from working.
> By default, org-refile and org-capture store bookmarks to the last
> refiled/captured Org headline.  (There is org-capture-bookmark in
> case users want to deactivate this for captured headlines.)
> We could skip this step in Org in case the bookmark format is
> corrupted, or have a more informative message that makes clear to
> the user that Org tries to store a bookmark.

I don't know the details of what happens currently when the bookmark file is
corrupted but at least such an occurrence shouldn't prevent org-refile
from working (tho obviously in a degraded way).

IOW, if needed we could wrap the calls to bookmark-set in
with-demoted-errors, but maybe those errors are signaled late enough
already that while the command signals an error, it did do what it was
expected to do.

        Stefan

@ 2012-10-25  7:18         ` Jonathan Schaeffer
From: Jonathan Schaeffer @ 2012-10-25  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 12702, 'Stefan Monnier'

Le 24/10/2012 17:09, Drew Adams a écrit :

> But AFAIK an empty bookmark file should not present any problems for Emacs (for
> bookmark handling, at least, and I would hope for Org mode and anything else
> too).
Yes, you have a point here.

I tested again the Org refile function in 3 cases :
- no bookmarks file
- an empty bookmarks file
- changed the ownership of the file so that the user has no rights to
write the bookmarks file

And it behaves gently in the 3 cases.

But I'm positive about the fact that the error disapeared when I removed
an empty bookmarks files.

Maybe Glenn could tell how he was able to corrupt his bookmarks file ?

jonathan
--
IUEM - Service Informatique
rue Dumont D'Urville

* bug#12702: 24.2; Orgmode Refile complains "Not bookmark format"
@ 2012-10-25  7:25           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-25  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Schaeffer; +Cc: 12702

Jonathan Schaeffer wrote:

> Maybe Glenn could tell how he was able to corrupt his bookmarks file ?

I intentionally added junk to it.

* bug#12702: 24.2; Orgmode Refile complains "Not bookmark format"
@ 2012-10-26 12:56           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-10-26 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: 12702-done, Jonathan Schaeffer

Hi Stefan,

> IOW, if needed we could wrap the calls to bookmark-set in
> with-demoted-errors, but maybe those errors are signaled late enough
> already that while the command signals an error, it did do what it was
> expected to do.

I've now wrapped calls to `bookmark-set' within `with-demoted-errors'
in Org, the capture and the refile processes will not be stopped by
corrupted bookmark files.

I'm now closing this bug.

 Bastien