From: Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>
To: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fixing footnote HTML
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 09:26:25 +0530	[thread overview]

> On 2/27/13, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2/13/13, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Anyway, if you send the correct HTML that should be generated, I will
>>> fix it.
>>
>> Probably all that needs to be done is to not use a table.  I tested this by
>
> I am referring to these:
>
>   (defun org-html-format-footnote-definition (fn)
>   (defun org-html-footnote-section (info)
>
> They output a table, which looks IMO very confusing in both w3m and
> Firefox.  The old exporter worked fine.  The solution IMO is to remove
> the table tags.

It is preferable to introduce a footnote, preamble, postamble, toc,
bibliography etc as pseudo-elements, with Footnotes and Bibliograph
attachable to beginning or end of chapters.  This way the HTML exporter
can do some light-weight HTML transcoding.  Folks can derive from this
base HTML exporter and surround their content to heart's pleasure.

See my other response to Rick, where I split current exporter to html
and HTML backends and have him derive from html backend.

>> I tested it in Firefox and w3m.

Catering to one off requests - reading on w3m or export to HTML5, slidy,
whatever etc - is exactly what the above pseudo-elements will avoid.

People can add their own translators instead of relying on the base HTML
exporter for one-off changes.

I am sure Samuel will remind us infinitely if we forget about it.

As an aside, I would like the following to be cleared before a release
actually happens.

1. I would like to split the HTML exporter if pseudo-elements are made
   available to me.

2. I also want the CSS stylenames to be regularized and improved.

3. CSS stylesheets to be pulled out of the exporter so that one can have
   users contributing Org themes.  A moving CSS stylenames will prevent
   proliferation of themes.

4. I want support for Htmlfontify as the default fontifier.  Htmlize not
   being part of Emacs shouldn't be the default fontifier.

What is mostly preventing me is my poor knowledge of HTML and CSS and my
own laziness.

ps: I would recommend that release happen just prior to a merge in to
Emacs-24.4 and Emacs-25.  Considering the requests that happen on HTML
front, I feel that export tools can be improved in small and useful ways
before freezing their base form.