* Re: Emacs-orgmode Digest, Vol 89, Issue 30
       [not found] <mailman.120.1374681631.3997.emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
@ 2013-07-24 16:55 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2013-07-24 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> From: Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com>
> To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 04:50:36 -0400
> Subject: Re: [O] links to files in a zip archive and inline images in zip
> archive
> John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
> > I am trying to make an org-mode zip archive. The idea is basically to
> > zip up the org-file, and the images it might refer to. What I would
> > really like is to be able to open the zip-file in emacs, and have the
> > images shown inline like they are when the archive is expanded.
> >
> > I had no problem making the zip archive, and it opens fine in emacs. I
> > can read the org file fine, but there are no inline images, and the
> > links to the images do not work.
> >
> > It might be ok if the links in the org-file would open the images, but
> > they do not do that either (I get cannot display image: cannot
> > determine image type and a blank screen).
> >
> > Is this idea way off base? or is there a way to get it to work? I do
> > not have to stick with zip archives if another format would work well.
> >
> My guess is that your links use absolute paths. I had no problem doing
> this with a file using relative paths and the following directory
> structure:
>
>      tmp -- kitchin.org
>          `- images -- foo.png
>
> kitchin.org looks like this:

> #+STARTUP: inlineimages
>
> * foo
>
> This  [[file:images/foo.png]] is an inline image.
>
> and I zipped like this:
>
> $ zip kitchin.zip kitchin.org images
>
> I can then open the zip file, and open kitchin.org inside the zip file
> with the inline image showing.
> --
> Nick

This works if the unzipped directory images exists. In my case that won't
be true.

What I am doing is creating a script that runs a python script, captures
any images created by matplotlib, creates an org-file, then creates a
zip-file that contains the org-file of the script, the output, and links to
the figures, as well as the figures. The zip-file will then be submitted to
a server, where the original images do not exist. I can unzip the zip-file
on the server, and it works fine, but I was trying to avoid that.

* Re: Emacs-orgmode Digest, Vol 89, Issue 30
@ 2013-07-24 18:26   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-07-24 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> This works if the unzipped directory images exists. In my case that won't be true.
>
> What I am doing is creating a script that runs a python script,
> captures any images created by matplotlib, creates an org-file, then
> creates a zip-file that contains the org-file of the script, the
> output, and links to the figures, as well as the figures. The zip-file
> will then be submitted to a server, where the original images do not
> exist. I can unzip the zip-file on the server, and it works fine, but
> I was trying to avoid that.

Yup - you are right: I was a bit too cavalier in my testing. I don't
know how to accomplish what you want. I'll think about it some more.
--
Nick