* set global visibility set to CONTENTS in a defun?
@ 2013-11-03  1:48 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2013-11-03  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I am sure it's possible to do this ,but I can't seem to figure out how
to set the global visibility level of org headings to a pre-specified
level in a list function.

(org-global-cycle) cycles the visibility among OVERVIEW --> CONTENTS --> ALL
it accepts an optional argument, but whatever I put in the argument
(number, string, whatever) has the effet of setting visibility to
OVERVIEW, e.g..  I'm sure there's a trick I'm missing, could someone
please tell me what it is?

Thanks,
Matt

* Re: set global visibility set to CONTENTS in a defun?
@ 2013-11-04 11:21 ` Bastien
       [not found]   ` <CAN_Dec_O-UmHZjO0G8z7_FDJ5p7aKsxqme7+0kGuz7ohYsktzA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Bastien @ 2013-11-04 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Matt,

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> I am sure it's possible to do this ,but I can't seem to figure out how
> to set the global visibility level of org headings to a pre-specified
> level in a list function.
>
> (org-global-cycle) cycles the visibility among OVERVIEW --> CONTENTS --> ALL
> it accepts an optional argument, but whatever I put in the argument
> (number, string, whatever) has the effet of setting visibility to
> OVERVIEW, e.g..  I'm sure there's a trick I'm missing, could someone
> please tell me what it is?

Mhh... hard to give good hints without a better idea of what your
defun does -- can you share more about it?

 Bastien

* Fwd: set global visibility set to CONTENTS in a defun?
       [not found]   ` <CAN_Dec_O-UmHZjO0G8z7_FDJ5p7aKsxqme7+0kGuz7ohYsktzA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2013-11-08 19:30     ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2013-11-08 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

sorry, forgot to cc to group.

... sorry for hte delay on this, I have changed my code so many times
and so fruitlessly that I stilll don't have a good example to point
you to,

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 6:21 AM, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am sure it's possible to do this ,but I can't seem to figure out how
>> to set the global visibility level of org headings to a pre-specified
>> level in a list function.
>>
>> (org-global-cycle) cycles the visibility among OVERVIEW --> CONTENTS --> ALL
>> it accepts an optional argument, but whatever I put in the argument
>> (number, string, whatever) has the effet of setting visibility to
>> OVERVIEW, e.g..  I'm sure there's a trick I'm missing, could someone
>> please tell me what it is?
>
> Mhh... hard to give good hints without a better idea of what your
> defun does -- can you share more about it?

What I mostly wanted was to write an interactive defun that would
switch to an org buffer and then automatically set the visibility
(either the global visibility or the visibility of the active subtree)
to an arbitrary desired level.  org-cycle does not seem to be a
reliable way to do this because you can't just pass the desired
visibility level as an argument -- or at least, I an't figure out how
to do this.  The same is true for org-global-cycle.  I'm not sure,
does that clarify what I'm asking?

Thanks as always for your help,
Matt

in my org-writers-room (git

> Thanks,
>
> --
>  Bastien

* Re: Fwd: set global visibility set to CONTENTS in a defun?
@ 2013-11-09 19:46       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-11-09 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Matt,

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> What I mostly wanted was to write an interactive defun that would
> switch to an org buffer and then automatically set the visibility
> (either the global visibility or the visibility of the active subtree)
> to an arbitrary desired level.

The only way I see is to set this desired level as a property for
the entries, then to let your defun act depending on this property.

See the Org manual (2.3 Visibility cycling):

  Furthermore, any entries with a 'VISIBILITY' property (*note
  Properties
  and Columns::) will get their visibility adapted accordingly.  Allowed
  values for this property are 'folded', 'children', 'content', and
  'all'.

  'C-u C-u <TAB>' ('org-set-startup-visibility') Switch back to the
  startup visibility of the buffer, i.e., whatever is requested by
  startup options and 'VISIBILITY' properties in individual entries.

> org-cycle does not seem to be a
> reliable way to do this because you can't just pass the desired
> visibility level as an argument -- or at least, I an't figure out how
> to do this.  The same is true for org-global-cycle.  I'm not sure,
> does that clarify what I'm asking?

Yes.. but I'm not sure I can think of a solution, manipulating
visibility states is a bit daunting.

--

@ 2013-11-10  2:24         ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2013-11-10  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> What I mostly wanted was to write an interactive defun that would
>> switch to an org buffer and then automatically set the visibility
>> (either the global visibility or the visibility of the active subtree)
>> to an arbitrary desired level.
>
> The only way I see is to set this desired level as a property for
> the entries, then to let your defun act depending on this property.
>
> See the Org manual (2.3 Visibility cycling):
>
>   Furthermore, any entries with a 'VISIBILITY' property (*note
>   Properties
>   and Columns::) will get their visibility adapted accordingly.  Allowed
>   values for this property are 'folded', 'children', 'content', and
>   'all'.
>
>   'C-u C-u <TAB>' ('org-set-startup-visibility') Switch back to the
>   startup visibility of the buffer, i.e., whatever is requested by
>   startup options and 'VISIBILITY' properties in individual entries.
>
>> org-cycle does not seem to be a
>> reliable way to do this because you can't just pass the desired
>> visibility level as an argument -- or at least, I an't figure out how
>> to do this.  The same is true for org-global-cycle.  I'm not sure,
>> does that clarify what I'm asking?
>
> Yes.. but I'm not sure I can think of a solution, manipulating
> visibility states is a bit daunting.

Yes, it seems quite difficult  I am working on other solutions...