* working with tables freezes emacs
@ 2014-07-26 18:59 Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2014-07-26 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi all

i was wondering if anyone else have had these problems (using latest emacs
and org-mode from git): whenever i start working with tables and start
editing a cell emacs starts freezing, all emacscleint instances are frozen
and i have to kill emacs to get things back to work

anyone else encountered this? is there a way i can try to debug this (im
not technically savvy at all)

thx alot

* Re: working with tables freezes emacs
@ 2014-07-26 19:37 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-07-26 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all
>
> i was wondering if anyone else have had these problems (using latest emacs
> and org-mode from git): whenever i start working with tables and start
> editing a cell emacs starts freezing, all emacscleint instances are frozen
> and i have to kill emacs to get things back to work
>
> anyone else encountered this? is there a way i can try to debug this (im
> not technically savvy at all)

Yes, I experience it as well.  I have not found a clear receipt to
reproduce yet (in particular not in with emacs -q), though, but in my
case key components are: emacsclient, tables and TAB to realign.

Sorry, this is not too helpful.

—Rasmus

--
Lasciate ogni speranza o voi che entrate: siete nella mani di'machellaio

* Re: working with tables freezes emacs
@ 2014-07-26 19:55 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-07-26 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all
>
> i was wondering if anyone else have had these problems (using latest
> emacs and org-mode from git): whenever i start working with tables and
> start editing a cell emacs starts freezing, all emacscleint instances
> are frozen and i have to kill emacs to get things back to work
>
> anyone else encountered this? is there a way i can try to debug this
> (im not technically savvy at all)

I recently encountered an (infloop) bug in org-element, and the tip to
get a useful backtrace from the apparently frozen emacs is:

[0. when on GNU/Linux, call 'top' to see if emacs uses 100pc CPU]
1. emacs -Q
2. M-x load-library org-element.el
3. do what you do to make emacs freeze
4. call on the cmd-line

,----
| kill -s usr2 4352
`----
(get the PID with 'ps -e | grep emacs')

or, equivalently (?)

,----
| pkill --signal usr2 emacs
`----

5. study/copy/paste/send *Backtrace* buffer from (not frozen anymore)
Emacs

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: working with tables freezes emacs
@ 2014-09-28 22:10   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-09-28 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> i was wondering if anyone else have had these problems (using latest emacs
>> and org-mode from git): whenever i start working with tables and start
>> editing a cell emacs starts freezing, all emacscleint instances are frozen
>> and i have to kill emacs to get things back to work
>>
>> anyone else encountered this? is there a way i can try to debug this (im
>> not technically savvy at all)
>
> Yes, I experience it as well.  I have not found a clear receipt to
> reproduce yet (in particular not in with emacs -q), though, but in my
> case key components are: emacsclient, tables and TAB to realign.

Do you have any update on this? Do you still encounter the bug?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: working with tables freezes emacs
@ 2014-09-28 22:46     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-09-28 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> i was wondering if anyone else have had these problems (using latest emacs
>>> and org-mode from git): whenever i start working with tables and start
>>> editing a cell emacs starts freezing, all emacscleint instances are frozen
>>> and i have to kill emacs to get things back to work
>>>
>>> anyone else encountered this? is there a way i can try to debug this (im
>>> not technically savvy at all)
>>
>> Yes, I experience it as well.  I have not found a clear receipt to
>> reproduce yet (in particular not in with emacs -q), though, but in my
>> case key components are: emacsclient, tables and TAB to realign.
>
> Do you have any update on this? Do you still encounter the bug?

I haven't experienced it recently, but also haven't been working much
with tables, I guess. . .

—Rasmus

--
. . . It begins of course with The Internet.  A Net of Peers

* Re: working with tables freezes emacs
@ 2014-10-25 19:07     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-10-25 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> i was wondering if anyone else have had these problems (using latest emacs
>>> and org-mode from git): whenever i start working with tables and start
>>> editing a cell emacs starts freezing, all emacscleint instances are frozen
>>> and i have to kill emacs to get things back to work
>>>
>>> anyone else encountered this? is there a way i can try to debug this (im
>>> not technically savvy at all)
>>
>> Yes, I experience it as well.  I have not found a clear receipt to
>> reproduce yet (in particular not in with emacs -q), though, but in my
>> case key components are: emacsclient, tables and TAB to realign.
>
> Do you have any update on this? Do you still encounter the bug?

It happened to me now when I was editing a table and clicked TAB.

Debugger entered--beginning evaluation of function call form:
* (byte-code "\301\302\303!\207" [quit-flag t eval (ignore nil)] 2)
  flyspell-post-command-hook()
  recursive-edit()
  debug(error (quit))

flyspell-post-command-hook

This function is advised by

     :around advice: `ad-Advice-flyspell-post-command-hook'

From ac.  I have not removed this since I don't use ac anymore.  Maybe
this will solve the issue.

—Rasmus

--
You people at the NSA are becoming my new best friends!

* Re: working with tables freezes emacs
@ 2014-10-26 13:02       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-10-26 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> It happened to me now when I was editing a table and clicked TAB.
>
> Debugger entered--beginning evaluation of function call form:
> * (byte-code "\301\302\303!\207" [quit-flag t eval (ignore nil)] 2)
>   flyspell-post-command-hook()
>   recursive-edit()
>   debug(error (quit))
>
> flyspell-post-command-hook
>
> This function is advised by
>
>      :around advice: `ad-Advice-flyspell-post-command-hook'
>
> From ac.  I have not removed this since I don't use ac anymore.  Maybe
> this will solve the issue.

Unfortunately there is not much information to chew on, so I cannot
tell.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: working with tables freezes emacs
@ 2014-10-26 15:04         ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-10-26 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:
>
>> It happened to me now when I was editing a table and clicked TAB.
>>
>> Debugger entered--beginning evaluation of function call form:
>> * (byte-code "\301\302\303!\207" [quit-flag t eval (ignore nil)] 2)
>>   flyspell-post-command-hook()
>>   recursive-edit()
>>   debug(error (quit))
>>
>> flyspell-post-command-hook
>>
>> This function is advised by
>>
>>      :around advice: `ad-Advice-flyspell-post-command-hook'
>>
>> From ac.  I have not removed this since I don't use ac anymore.  Maybe
>> this will solve the issue.
>
> Unfortunately there is not much information to chew on, so I cannot
> tell.

I'm still unable to make an example that will break down Emacs.

However, working with {entities, tables and flyspell} does give a
slowdown even in emacs -q, though not to the extend that Emacs becomes
unusable.

—Rasmus

--
This is the kind of tedious nonsense up with which I will not put