* How to do <something> for all clocks in the region or subtree?
@ 2016-03-19 10:49 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-03-19 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

I have a function which does <something> on a clock the point is on.
I want to call it for every clock in the region if it is active, and if
not, then for every clock in the current subtree.  Here's what I have:

(defun do-something-for-all-clocks (begin end)
  "Do <something> for all clocks in the region.
In interactive use, use region if active and current subtree
otherwise.  Use with caution!"
  (interactive (if (use-region-p)
		   (list (region-beginning)
			 (region-end))
		 (list nil nil)))
  (save-excursion
    (save-restriction
      (narrow-to-region
       (or begin (progn (org-back-to-heading t)
			(point)))
       (or end (progn (org-end-of-subtree t t)
		      (when (and (org-at-heading-p) ; see org-narrow-to-subtree
				 (not (eobp)))
			(backward-char 1))
		      (point))))
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (while (re-search-forward "^CLOCK: " nil t)
	(if (eq (org-element-type (org-element-at-point))
		'clock)
	    (do-something-with-clock-at-point))))))

Is it ok or is there some fancy way of iterating across all clock
entries in the region?  (I don't want any dependencies - only vanilla
Org!)

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: How to do <something> for all clocks in the region or subtree?
@ 2016-03-20 10:17 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2016-03-20 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have a function which does <something> on a clock the point is on.
> I want to call it for every clock in the region if it is active, and if
> not, then for every clock in the current subtree.  Here's what I have:
>
> (defun do-something-for-all-clocks (begin end)
>   "Do <something> for all clocks in the region.
> In interactive use, use region if active and current subtree
> otherwise.  Use with caution!"
>   (interactive (if (use-region-p)
> 		   (list (region-beginning)
> 			 (region-end))
> 		 (list nil nil)))
>   (save-excursion
>     (save-restriction
>       (narrow-to-region
>        (or begin (progn (org-back-to-heading t)
> 			(point)))
>        (or end (progn (org-end-of-subtree t t)
> 		      (when (and (org-at-heading-p) ; see org-narrow-to-subtree
> 				 (not (eobp)))
> 			(backward-char 1))
> 		      (point))))
>       (goto-char (point-min))
>       (while (re-search-forward "^CLOCK: " nil t)

The regexp above is not correct. Valid clocks are not required to start
at column 0.

> 	(if (eq (org-element-type (org-element-at-point))
> 		'clock)
> 	    (do-something-with-clock-at-point))))))

`when', or `and' if return value matters, is clearer IMO.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: How to do <something> for all clocks in the region or subtree?
@ 2016-03-20 14:02   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2016-03-20 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-03-20, at 11:17, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> I have a function which does <something> on a clock the point is on.
>> I want to call it for every clock in the region if it is active, and if
>> not, then for every clock in the current subtree.  Here's what I have:
>>
>> (defun do-something-for-all-clocks (begin end)
>>   "Do <something> for all clocks in the region.
>> In interactive use, use region if active and current subtree
>> otherwise.  Use with caution!"
>>   (interactive (if (use-region-p)
>> 		   (list (region-beginning)
>> 			 (region-end))
>> 		 (list nil nil)))
>>   (save-excursion
>>     (save-restriction
>>       (narrow-to-region
>>        (or begin (progn (org-back-to-heading t)
>> 			(point)))
>>        (or end (progn (org-end-of-subtree t t)
>> 		      (when (and (org-at-heading-p) ; see org-narrow-to-subtree
>> 				 (not (eobp)))
>> 			(backward-char 1))
>> 		      (point))))
>>       (goto-char (point-min))
>>       (while (re-search-forward "^CLOCK: " nil t)
>
> The regexp above is not correct. Valid clocks are not required to start
> at column 0.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

>> 	(if (eq (org-element-type (org-element-at-point))
>> 		'clock)
>> 	    (do-something-with-clock-at-point))))))
>
> `when', or `and' if return value matters, is clearer IMO.

You're obviously right -- I'll use `when'.

> Regards,

Thanks a lot and best regards,