* How to have a controllable popup?
@ 2016-04-26  5:07 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2016-04-26  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

I'm not sure whether this is the right place for this or if I should be
looking elsewhere for it, so sorry if its the wrong place.

I'm converting a large latex file of 780 pages when its in a pdf file,
but I'm converting from latex to org-mode. I'm also taking the
opportunity of revising it and standardising it. And I'm also rebuilding
the bibliography database held in a bib file.

So I have a section in the org-mode file which has the old bibliography
index number alongside the new number. How can I have a popup just
showing those numbers which I can look at and then input a certain
number into the main body of the file, and then close the popup until I
need to call it again? The popup would need to be scrollable and appear
in the right third of the page.

I've tried to set it up with workgroups, and also tabs of the relevant
files next to each other in tabbar, but neither of these really worked.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.4, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.0.92

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to have a controllable popup?
@ 2016-04-27 16:45 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-04-27 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode-email

It sounds like helm could do what you want.

Here is an example of making a simple helm source:
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2015/01/24/Anatomy-of-a-helm-source/

I guess you would run M-x your-helm-command where you want it, and the
information would appear in a helm buffer. you select what you want and
make it get inserted.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F