* Region-based meta-notes
@ 2021-01-19 22:05 Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2021-01-19 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got this

* foldl
:PROPERTIES:_

Problematic with ~foldr~ is that it recurses out to its full length
before performing the given function's task. For example, with

#+begin_example
foldr (+) list
#+end_example

~(+)~ behaves strictly, meaning that both arguments to it must be
fully evaluated before ~(+)~ can return a result. Hence, for

Problem is I've borrowed (some, most, all of) this from an online source
and I want to credit the source. What would be nice is to be able to select
a region -- however big or small -- and create a log/note/footnote etc.
about the selected region -- in my case, give reference.

Of course I could just tack a footnote at the end of the borrowed stuff,
but then in the case of multiple preceding paragraphs, formulae, etc. it
would be hard to indicate where the particular borrowed parts began --
without resorting to ugly marker kludges.

So yes, simply being able to select regions and make side notes about them
could give you a very fine level of control over metadata in a file. Is
there such a thing in the Emacs/org-mode world?

LB

* Re: Region-based meta-notes
@ 2021-01-19 22:39 ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2021-01-19 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence Bottorff; +Cc: orgmode

Hello,

Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:

> So yes, simply being able to select regions and make side notes about
> them could give you a very fine level of control over metadata in a
> file. Is there such a thing in the Emacs/org-mode world?

Take a look at the org-marginalia package:

https://github.com/nobiot/org-marginalia

Regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: Region-based meta-notes
@ 2021-01-20  4:04 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-01-20  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> writes:

> So yes, simply being able to select regions and make side notes about them
> could give you a very fine level of control over metadata in a file. Is
> there such a thing in the Emacs/org-mode world?

I use inlinetasks for this. You can add notes to inlinetask just as you
add notes to a normal headline. Also, inlinetasks can be created around
active region:

Signature
(org-inlinetask-insert-task &optional NO-STATE)

Documentation
Insert an inline task.

If prefix arg NO-STATE is set, ignore org-inlinetask-default-state.
If there is a region wrap it inside the inline task.

Key Bindings
org-mode-map C-c C-x t

Best,
Ihor