* Repository of Org files with important dates?
@ 2021-04-16  2:16 Rodrigo Morales
From: Rodrigo Morales @ 2021-04-16  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everyone,

Do any of you know whether there is a repository that contain Org files
whose main purpose is to list important dates of a given context
(specific countries, areas such as technology, biology, mathematics,
computer science, etc.)?

I'm asking this because I would like to have important dates of my
country in the Org Agenda, so before creating that file on my own I
wanted to know whether there are repositories that have already done
that.

---
alias: rdrg109

* Re: Repository of Org files with important dates?
@ 2021-04-16  4:59 ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2021-04-16  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodrigo Morales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rodrigo Morales <moralesrodrigo1100@gmail.com> writes:

> Do any of you know whether there is a repository that contain Org files
> whose main purpose is to list important dates of a given context
> (specific countries, areas such as technology, biology, mathematics,
> computer science, etc.)?

You can use the diary for this and include those entries in your agenda.
Here are some settings:

 '(org-agenda-include-diary t)
 '(calendar-mark-diary-entries-flag t)
 '(calendar-mark-holidays-flag t)
 '(calendar-view-holidays-initially-flag t)
 '(calendar-view-diary-initially-flag t)

 '(holiday-other-holidays
   '((holiday-fixed 1 1 "New Year's Day")
     (holiday-fixed 2 14 "Valentine's Day")
     (holiday-fixed 3 19 "Dia del Padre")
     (holiday-fixed 4 1 "April Fools' Day")
     (holiday-float 5 0 2 "Muttertag")
     (holiday-float 5 0 1 "Dia de la Madre")
     (holiday-easter-etc 39 "Vatertag")
     (holiday-fixed 5 30 "Vatertag")
     (holiday-fixed 10 31 "Halloween")))
 '(htmlize-output-type 'inline-css)

For custom diary files you might also want:

  (add-hook 'diary-list-entries-hook 'diary-include-other-diary-files)
  (add-hook 'diary-mark-entries-hook 'diary-mark-included-diary-files)

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Repository of Org files with important dates?
@ 2021-04-16  6:55 ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2021-04-16  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodrigo Morales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rodrigo,

There are a few packages that define things like this, which can be added
to the agenda view. You can see as examples the ones I use for national
holidays in my config here:
https://github.com/zzamboni/dot-doom/blob/master/doom.org#tasks-and-agenda

I'm sure many others are available in MELPA and elsewhere.

--Diego

       [not found] <f6c0c3f760514a5b9b9cee65019d7378@VI1PR0102MB3327.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2021-04-16 15:55 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-04-16 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodrigo Morales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

If you want solar based information (equinox, solstice, etc.), which is
not quite what you mentioned, I used this script to generate org file
headings:

#+begin_src shell :results output raw
  tmpfile=$(mktemp /tmp/date.XXXXXX)
  for year in $(seq 2018 2068)
  do
      links http://aa.usno.navy.mil/seasons?year=${year} -dump | \
          grep -E 'helion|quinox|olstice' > ${tmpfile}
      while read -r line
      do
          item=$(echo $line | awk '{print $1}')
          date="$(echo $line | awk '{print $5 " " $4 " " $3}') ${year}"
          isodate=$(date --date="${date}" +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M")
          echo "** <${isodate}> $item"
      done < ${tmpfile}
  done
  rm ${tmpfile}
#+end_src

This script assumes "links" is available but is otherwise sort of
portable for any bash like shell.

But I haven't used it since 2018 when I generated the data for the next
50 years so cannot guarantee the website is still there! :-)

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.4-254-g37749c

* Re: Repository of Org files with important dates?
@ 2021-04-16 20:49   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2021-04-16 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Rodrigo Morales

On 2021-04-16, at 17:55, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> If you want solar based information (equinox, solstice, etc.), which is
> not quite what you mentioned, I used this script to generate org file
> headings:

Can't Emacs itself generate those data?

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Repository of Org files with important dates?
@ 2021-04-17 23:42     ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2021-04-17 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Rodrigo Morales, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Eric S Fraga

> On 2021-04-16, at 17:55, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> If you want solar based information (equinox, solstice, etc.), which is
>> not quite what you mentioned, I used this script to generate org file
>> headings:
>
> Can't Emacs itself generate those data?

Hmm. I don't see a date function in Elisp...
--
David Masterson

* Re: Repository of Org files with important dates?
@ 2021-04-18  4:20       ` Greg Minshall
From: Greg Minshall @ 2021-04-18  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: Rodrigo Morales, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Eric S Fraga

David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> wrote:

> Hmm. I don't see a date function in Elisp...

(current-time-string), if that helps.

* Re: Repository of Org files with important dates?
@ 2021-04-18  4:29       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2021-04-18  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: Rodrigo Morales, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Eric S Fraga

On 2021-04-18, at 01:42, David Masterson <dsmasterson92630@outlook.com> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> On 2021-04-16, at 17:55, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> If you want solar based information (equinox, solstice, etc.), which is
>>> not quite what you mentioned, I used this script to generate org file
>>> headings:
>>
>> Can't Emacs itself generate those data?
>
> Hmm. I don't see a date function in Elisp...

Have you checked the files solar.el and lunar.el?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl