From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Helo for defun/macro arguments list in minibuffer when in org-babel src blocks?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 10:05:05 +1000	[thread overview]

Hi,

when you are editing source blocks are you using org-edit-special,
normally
bound to C-c ') or are you just editing the source blocks directly
within the
org buffer?

The functionality you are referring to sounds like eldoc minor
mode.

If you open a dedicated buffer to edit a file in the same language
as your
source blocks, do you see the behaviour you want. For example,
open a file
called test.el and edit some Emacs lisp. If you don't see the
behaviour your
after, you need to configure emacs-lisp-mode to load eldoc mode.
Try typing M-x
eldoc-mode <ret> and see if you then get the behaviour your after.
If you do,
then read up on eldoc-mode and how to enable it.

The environment you get with a dedicated buffer and that you get
with
org-edit-special should be roughly the same. So the trick is to
get things
working how you like them using a dedicated *.el buffer and then
use
org-edit-special whenever you need to edit source blocks. There is
also another
good reason to use org-edit-special - there are some situations
where org needs
to add some special escaping characters in source blocks to enable
things to be
parsed correctly. Using org-edit-special ensures this occurs when
necessary.
Editing the source blocks directly does not.

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> I have been doing quite some programming with elisp in org mode,
> and one
> thing I am missing is this help that Emacs shows in minibuffer
> for
> functions and macros. You can see the example in the attached
> image. I
> am not sure what I have to enable (or disable? :)) to get it to
> work in
> babel src blocks? Or is it even possible?
>
> Some few days ago I stumbled on a blog post by J. Kitchin about
> enabling
> orignal mode maps in src block:
>
> <https://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2017/06/10/Adding-keymaps-to-src-blocks-via-org-font-lock-hook/>
>
> That was another thing I was missing, and that one work really
> well.
> Thank yuu John!
>
> Can that hack be used to enable this help to pup up in
> minibuffer as
> well. I am not familiar what causes that lookup, but I see it
> happends
> even when Emacs is started with -Q option, so it is something
> built-in
> and enabled by default, probably in elisp-mode itself.
>
> Last thing I miss is company doing it's thing. I can complete by
> pressing TAB, but I would still like it to happen automatically.
> Is it
> just me being noob and not enabling something, or is it bit more
> coplicated than so?
>
> Sorry for the long writing, but basically what I ask is, can we
> get more
> of usualy elisp stuff hanpening in babel src blocks?

Regards,

Tim

--
*Tim Cross*

/For gor sake stop laughing, this is serious!/