* Error with org-agenda with 9.5.3
@ 2022-06-02 18:43 Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2022-06-02 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just updated org-mode using package.el and got release 9.5.3

Now I get an error in `org-at-timestamp-p` (OATP), which is invoked when
calling `org-agenda`.

I checked the repository and the problem is in commit 1f617727f1, which
added to this function the following code block:

```
-  (let* ((regexp (if extended
-                     (if (eq extended 'agenda)
-                         org-element--timestamp-regexp
-		       org-ts-regexp3)
-                   org-ts-regexp2))
+  (let* ((regexp
+          (if extended
+              (if (eq extended 'agenda)
+                  (rx (or (regexp org-ts-regexp3)
+                          (regexp org-element--timestamp-regexp)))
+		org-ts-regexp3)
+            org-ts-regexp2))
```

The issue arises where OATP uses `rx` to process a regex stored in
`org-ts-regexp3`:

```
(rx (or (regexp org-ts-regexp3) ; here
         (regexp org-element--timestamp-regexp)))
```

This fails because `rx-check` checks the sub-expression `(regexp
org-ts-regexp3)` to make sure that `org-ts-regexp3` is a string, but
`org-ts-regexp3` is not evaluated, and the *symbol* `org-ts-regexp3` is
not a string (it's a symbol), even though it's *value* is a string.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug in org-mode proper (I would have
thought this would be caught before release) or perhaps org-mode expects
some version of `rx.el` that I do not have.  Unfortunately, I don't see
a version number in `rx.el`, only a copyright date.

I am running Emacs 25 (Aquamacs). So, maybe this code requires Emacs 26?
If so, it would be nice if org-mode 9.5.3 was tagged as incompatible
with Emacs 25? (It would also be nice if package mode supported
roll-back, but that's OT here!)

* Re: Error with org-agenda with 9.5.3
@ 2022-06-03  6:18 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-06-03  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Bastien

Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.net> writes:

> I just updated org-mode using package.el and got release 9.5.3
>
> Now I get an error in `org-at-timestamp-p` (OATP), which is invoked when
> calling `org-agenda`.
> ```
> (rx (or (regexp org-ts-regexp3) ; here
>          (regexp org-element--timestamp-regexp)))
> ```
>
> I am running Emacs 25 (Aquamacs). So, maybe this code requires Emacs 26?
> If so, it would be nice if org-mode 9.5.3 was tagged as incompatible
> with Emacs 25? (It would also be nice if package mode supported
> roll-back, but that's OT here!)

Thanks for reporting! This has been fixed on our bugfix branch, but not
yet on ELPA.

Bastien, can we bump the Org version to 9.5.4 and trigger ELPA update?
You mentioned that Org 9.5.4 is intended for Emacs 28.2, but I don't
know any way other than bumping the version to update the package on
ELPA stable.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Error with org-agenda with 9.5.3
@ 2022-06-03 14:08   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-06-03 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> I am running Emacs 25 (Aquamacs). So, maybe this code requires Emacs 26?
>> If so, it would be nice if org-mode 9.5.3 was tagged as incompatible
>> with Emacs 25? (It would also be nice if package mode supported
>> roll-back, but that's OT here!)
>
> Thanks for reporting! This has been fixed on our bugfix branch, but not
> yet on ELPA.

You can now update to Org 9.5.4.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Error with org-agenda with 9.5.3
@ 2022-06-03 15:32     ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2022-06-03 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you. Happy that I found a real error and didn't just waste everyone's time. Also happy to report that I updated org to 9.5.4 and all is well.
Best,

@ 2022-06-04  6:42   ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2022-06-04  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Robert Goldman, emacs-orgmode

Hi Ihor,

> Bastien, can we bump the Org version to 9.5.4 and trigger ELPA update?

Done yesterday, thanks for the heads up.

--
 Bastien