* Properly handle defaults in org-set-property
@ 2022-09-16 18:08 Janek F
From: Janek F @ 2022-09-16 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

As discussed in https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/71774/pass-default-value-to-org-set-property/71777, providing a default to org-set-property does not always work.

It calls `org-read-property-value`, which only uses the supplied default value if it can compute a list of allowed values for the property. But then, the default value has to be part of that `_ALL` list.

Can this be changed so it always uses the given default?

Thanks everyone for the great work!
~ Janek

* Re: Properly handle defaults in org-set-property
@ 2022-09-20  8:11 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-09-20  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janek F; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Janek F <xerusx@pm.me> writes:

> As discussed in https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/71774/pass-default-value-to-org-set-property/71777, providing a default to org-set-property does not always work.
>
> It calls `org-read-property-value`, which only uses the supplied default value if it can compute a list of allowed values for the property. But then, the default value has to be part of that `_ALL` list.
>
> Can this be changed so it always uses the given default?

Why don't you just use

(map! :desc "Set ID property" "lI"
      '(lambda ()
         (interactive)
         (org-set-property "ID" (org-read-property-value "ID" nil "default-value"))))

?

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Properly handle defaults in org-set-property
@ 2023-02-02  6:44   ` Janek F
From: Janek F @ 2023-02-02  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

That is exactly what I use, as you can see in my dotfiles:
https://code.ftt.gmbh/janek/dotfiles/src/branch/main/.config/doom/config.el#L293

But it leads to the exact aforementioned problem...

@ 2023-02-02 11:14     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-02-02 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janek F; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Janek F <xerusx@pm.me> writes:

> That is exactly what I use, as you can see in my dotfiles:
> https://code.ftt.gmbh/janek/dotfiles/src/branch/main/.config/doom/config.el#L293
>
> But it leads to the exact aforementioned problem...

May you please elaborate? What exactly did you do? What did you expect
to happen? What actually happened? (See
https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback)

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Properly handle defaults in org-set-property
@ 2023-02-02 17:21       ` Janek F
From: Janek F @ 2023-02-02 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

1. Put the cursor on a heading that does not have an id
2. Invoke (org-set-property "ID" (org-read-property-value "ID" nil "default-value")) via keybind or Alt-:
3. default-value is not within the list of suggestions

~ Janek

@ 2023-02-03 11:45         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-02-03 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janek F; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Janek F <xerusx@pm.me> writes:

> 1. Put the cursor on a heading that does not have an id
> 2. Invoke (org-set-property "ID" (org-read-property-value "ID" nil "default-value")) via keybind or Alt-:
> 3. default-value is not within the list of suggestions

Fixed, on main.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=0522c1850

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,