* Org mode, Org Mode, Org-mode or Org-Mode?
@ 2022-10-28 20:24 Marcin Borkowski
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2022-10-28 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is the "official" version?  I found at least two spelling on
orgmode.org...

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Org mode, Org Mode, Org-mode or Org-Mode?
@ 2022-10-28 20:55 ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2022-10-28 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marcin Borkowski writes:

> What is the "official" version?  I found at least two spelling on
> orgmode.org...

Interesting question. When I don't write carelessly I try to write "Org
Mode", but it's more out of habit. The wikipedia entry says "Org-mode".
The Google entry for orgmode.org says "Org mode", however the title of
the website says "Org Mode".

I imagine this disparity is also shared by other famous Emacs modes,
where you see them written in various ways...

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

* Re: Org mode, Org Mode, Org-mode or Org-Mode?
@ 2022-10-28 21:40 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2022-10-28 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Oct 28, 2022, 4:25 PM Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:

> What is the "official" version?  I found at least two spelling on
> orgmode.org...
>
> TIA,

Here's my personal take on that topic:
https://scripter.co/how-do-i-write-org-mode/

* Re: Org mode, Org Mode, Org-mode or Org-Mode?
@ 2022-10-28 21:50 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-10-28 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What is the "official" version?  I found at least two spelling on
> orgmode.org...

If we look into doc/Documentation_Standards.org:

    - Prefer "Org mode" to "Org-mode" or "org-mode".  This is simply
      because it reflects an existing convention in [[info:emacs:Top][The Emacs Manual]] which
      consistently documents mode names in this form - "Text mode",
      "Outline mode", "Mail mode", etc.

It is _the_ convention.

Another question is whether we actually follow it everywhere...

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Org mode, Org Mode, Org-mode or Org-Mode?
@ 2022-10-29  8:27   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2022-10-29  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022-10-28, at 23:50, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> What is the "official" version?  I found at least two spelling on
>> orgmode.org...
>
> If we look into doc/Documentation_Standards.org:
>
>     - Prefer "Org mode" to "Org-mode" or "org-mode".  This is simply
>       because it reflects an existing convention in [[info:emacs:Top][The Emacs Manual]] which
>       consistently documents mode names in this form - "Text mode",
>       "Outline mode", "Mail mode", etc.
>
> It is _the_ convention.

Thanks!

> Another question is whether we actually follow it everywhere...

Yep...

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl