* getting gnus contcats into org-contacts
@ 2013-11-07 15:22 Andreas Davour
From: Andreas Davour @ 2013-11-07 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hi

I've just started using gnus again, and since it seems like bbdb is in a messy state someone suggested I try org-contacts as an address book solution. It looks quite usable, but I have a few questions.

1. What is the function (org-contacts-gnus-insinuate) really used for? It sets up some hooks and a keybinding is what I've read. But, what the use of those hooks? Also, I have not found that keybinding to be active in any of my gnus buffers. Am I missing something? I guess it leads into my next question.

2. Can I get the email addresses of my contacts into org-contacts automatically somehow? I have read about org-capture and written this snippet:

(require 'org-contacts)
(setq org-contacts-files '("~/.org-contacts.org"))
(require 'org-capture)
(add-to-list 'org-capture-templates
             '("c" "Contacts" entry (file "~/.org-contacts.org")
               "* %(org-contacts-template-name)
                  :PROPERTIES:
                  :EMAIL: %(org-contacts-template-email)
                  :END:"))

Using that I can now run M-x org-capture (bound to some suitable key) and populate my contacts list. After that I can hit TAB and get my addresses in the To: fields and so on. Excellent!

But, is there a way to get that done automatically? That process is totally predictable. Way back when I used gnus/bbdb it picked up addresses by itself.

I guess I'm crossing into org-capture territory here, but felt this was anyway a suitable place to ask. I'm not very good at elisp so I have no idea how to do this myself, but thought that someone ought to have done this before. Oddly, google could find nothing.

Thanks for any suggestions.

/andreas

--
"My son has spoken the truth, and he has sacrificed more than either the president of the United States or Peter King have ever in their political careers or their American lives. So how they choose to characterize him really doesn't carry that much weight with me." -- Edward Snowden's Father

* Re: getting gnus contcats into org-contacts
@ 2013-11-07 17:11 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-11-07 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Davour; +Cc: org-mode

Andreas Davour <koraq@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I've just started using gnus again, and since it seems like bbdb is in
> a messy state someone suggested I try org-contacts as an address book
> solution. It looks quite usable, but I have a few questions.

I can't help you directly but I can say that I am using bbdb v3 from

	git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/bbdb.git

with gnus from

	http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git

very effectively.  No problems at all with bbdb once I converted over
from v2, of course.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.2.1-87-g8e841c

* Re: getting gnus contcats into org-contacts
@ 2013-11-07 18:25   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-11-07 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Eric S Fraga wrote:
> Andreas Davour <koraq-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
>> I've just started using gnus again, and since it seems like bbdb is in a
>> messy state someone suggested I try org-contacts as an address book
>> solution. It looks quite usable, but I have a few questions.
>
> I can't help you directly but I can say that I am using bbdb v3 from
>
> 	git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/bbdb.git
>
> with gnus from
>
> 	http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git
>
> very effectively.  No problems at all with bbdb once I converted over
> from v2, of course.

So do I, even if I miss some things:

- mainly, the auto-discovery of new emails: when you receive a mail from a new
  email address but from a known sender name, bbdb2 proposed to add the email
  address in the DB; not bbdb3

- gnus-public is not supported anymore.

Apart from that, bbdb3 is OK.

And both of the above points are not supported either IIUC in org-contacts.
Sad.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: getting gnus contcats into org-contacts
@ 2013-12-13 20:20     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-12-13 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news@mygooglest.com>
writes:

> Eric S Fraga wrote:
>> Andreas Davour <koraq@yahoo.com> writes:
>>>
>>> I've just started using gnus again, and since it seems like bbdb is in a
>>> messy state someone suggested I try org-contacts as an address book
>>> solution. It looks quite usable, but I have a few questions.
>>
>> I can't help you directly but I can say that I am using bbdb v3 from
>>
>> 	git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/bbdb.git
>>
>> with gnus from
>>
>> 	http://git.gnus.org/gnus.git
>>
>> very effectively.  No problems at all with bbdb once I converted over
>> from v2, of course.
>
> So do I, even if I miss some things:
>
> - mainly, the auto-discovery of new emails: when you receive a mail from a new
>   email address but from a known sender name, bbdb2 proposed to add the email
>   address in the DB; not bbdb3

I have the following in my bbdb config file and it seems to DTRT:

; add addresses automatically
(bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'gnus 'message)
(setq bbdb-update-records-p 'create)
(setq bbdb-mua-pop-up nil)

Nick