* Tangling Bernt Hansen's Org-Mode.Org file..?
@ 2014-04-05  5:08 David Masterson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Masterson @ 2014-04-05  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Not sure whether this is expected or if I've setup org-mode
incorrectly...

I've installed a full version of Cygwin on a Windows 8.1 system.  I'm,
therefore, using Emacs 24.3 but I've added the org-mode 8.2.5h package.
After putting (package-initialize) near the beginning of my .emacs and
setting up an after-init-hook to require both org-install and
org-compat, the proper version shows up in org-version and everything
looks okay.

I then pulled down Bernt Hansen's Org-Mode.org file (amazing piece of
work!!) and ran C-c C-v C-t on it to "tangle it" (is that the right
verb?).  The first time I did this, I get an error about
"org-with-silent-modifications" being an invalid function (from
org-refresh-category-properties).  However, immediately doing the C-c
C-v C-t again correctly tangles the file and produces the expected
Org-Mode.el file.

Did I mis-setup org-mode??

--
David Masterson

* Re: Tangling Bernt Hansen's Org-Mode.Org file..?
@ 2014-04-05  7:22 ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2014-04-05  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> Not sure whether this is expected or if I've setup org-mode
> incorrectly...
>
> I've installed a full version of Cygwin on a Windows 8.1 system.  I'm,
> therefore, using Emacs 24.3 but I've added the org-mode 8.2.5h package.
> After putting (package-initialize) near the beginning of my .emacs and
> setting up an after-init-hook to require both org-install and
> org-compat, the proper version shows up in org-version and everything
> looks okay.
>
> I then pulled down Bernt Hansen's Org-Mode.org file (amazing piece of
> work!!) and ran C-c C-v C-t on it to "tangle it" (is that the right
> verb?).  The first time I did this, I get an error about
> "org-with-silent-modifications" being an invalid function (from
> org-refresh-category-properties).  However, immediately doing the C-c
> C-v C-t again correctly tangles the file and produces the expected
> Org-Mode.el file.
>
> Did I mis-setup org-mode??

I think updating the Org package in my Emacs setup helped.

--

@ 2014-04-08 14:02 ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2014-04-08 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> ...I then pulled down Bernt Hansen's Org-Mode.org file (amazing piece of
> work!!) and ran C-c C-v C-t on it to "tangle it" (is that the right
> verb?).  The first time I did this, I get an error about
> "org-with-silent-modifications" being an invalid function (from
> org-refresh-category-properties).  However, immediately doing the C-c
> C-v C-t again correctly tangles the file and produces the expected
> Org-Mode.el file....

Where did you download this file, please?  I had it a while back, and can't
find where I got it, or where I lost it!

Thanks,

Dave in New Port Richey, FL

* Re: Tangling Bernt Hansen's Org-Mode.Org file..?
@ 2014-04-08 14:12   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-04-08 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.org

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Tangling Bernt Hansen's Org-Mode.Org file..?
@ 2014-04-08 15:48     ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2014-04-08 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> jdavidboyd@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:
>
>> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> ...I then pulled down Bernt Hansen's Org-Mode.org file (amazing piece of
>>> work!!) and ran C-c C-v C-t on it to "tangle it" (is that the right
>>> verb?).  The first time I did this, I get an error about
>>> "org-with-silent-modifications" being an invalid function (from
>>> org-refresh-category-properties).  However, immediately doing the C-c
>>> C-v C-t again correctly tangles the file and produces the expected
>>> Org-Mode.el file....
>>>

>> Where did you download this file, please?  I had it a while back, and can't
>> find where I got it, or where I lost it!
>
> http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.org

Thanks!

* Re: Tangling Bernt Hansen's Org-Mode.Org file..?
@ 2014-04-08 19:32     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-04-08 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> writes:

> jdavidboyd@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:
>
>> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> ...I then pulled down Bernt Hansen's Org-Mode.org file (amazing piece of
>>> work!!) and ran C-c C-v C-t on it to "tangle it" (is that the right
>>> verb?).  The first time I did this, I get an error about
>>> "org-with-silent-modifications" being an invalid function (from
>>> org-refresh-category-properties).  However, immediately doing the C-c
>>> C-v C-t again correctly tangles the file and produces the expected
>>> Org-Mode.el file....
>>>

>> Where did you download this file, please?  I had it a while back, and can't
>> find where I got it, or where I lost it!
>
> http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.org

Works for me Org-mode version 8.2.5h (release_8.2.5h-898-g8d7dbc @ /Users/rainerkrug/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)

Cheers,

Rainer

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

* Re: Tangling Bernt Hansen's Org-Mode.Org file..?
@ 2014-04-08 20:39 ` Sacha Chua
From: Sacha Chua @ 2014-04-08 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

Hello, David!

> I've installed a full version of Cygwin on a Windows 8.1 system.  I'm,
> therefore, using Emacs 24.3 but I've added the org-mode 8.2.5h package.
> "org-with-silent-modifications" being an invalid function (from
> org-refresh-category-properties).  However, immediately doing the C-c
> C-v C-t again correctly tangles the file and produces the expected
> Org-Mode.el file.
> Did I mis-setup org-mode??

The org-with-silent-modifications error tends to happen when Org 7 files
are loaded and mixed up with Org 8 ones. If you've installed Org 8 from
ELPA without taking any special precautions, chances are that you
installed it when the previous version of Org was already loaded.

You may want to start with emacs -q, then set up your package-archives
(if you've added any sources), and then reinstall Org (so that it
recompiles in a clean environment). Make sure that you do this before

It might be partially addressed by org-reload, but I'm not sure.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-09/msg01128.html

Hope that helps!

Sacha