From: "François Pinard" <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Org Community
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 17:15:30 -0400	[thread overview]

Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:

> There is one individual who is poisoning the atmosphere by engaging in
> unfair and unfounded name calling that simply should not be included
> in messages to this list.

The Internet wisdom (I mean, years of accumulated experience by lots of
people) suggests that we completely ignore those who troll.  This
requires that we educate us, between ourselves, to ignore such people.
They are fed by those who cannot resist replying to them.  If none do,
they usually disappear within a few months -- or a few years :-).  Kill
files (in email readers) are useful for ignoring poisoning people.

> Now this person wants to take some of their contributions out of
> org.

This is in such circumstances that clear FSF assignments prove useful.
I've seen this scenario repeating for other software, here and there,
for years (I've been around for quite a while).  People have opinions,
that's OK.  But when their way does not lead anymore, some of them
attempt destruction, more or less progressively, by all means possible,
psychological and technical.

They only have the power we give them.  When we get moved enough to
reply, we give them power.  Best is to ignore them, and learn to stay
completely calm inside.  See they are sick, do not get affected.  Do
not even attempt to heal them.

If you do not have enough means of self-control and just cannot resist,
then feed them privately, to spare the rest of the community.

François