* Performance of table computing
@ 2015-03-31 10:28 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2015-03-31 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

In one of my Org files, I have 20 small tables. Among them, 11 have
a line of formula's (TBLFM), mainly for computing a total (sum), so
that's in essence relatively standard and simple.

The file in itself is quite big (11,000 lines), but I did not expect to
see that re-applying formulas to all of them would take 30 seconds... at
every save... since I did add the following to my `.emacs' file:

  (defmacro measure-time (message &rest body)
    "Measure the time it takes to evaluate BODY."
    `(let ((time (current-time)))
       ,@body
       (message "__%s (in %.02f s)___________________________"
                ,message (float-time (time-since time)))))

  (defun my/org-update-buffer ()
    "Update all dynamic blocks and all tables in the buffer."
    (interactive)
    (when (derived-mode-p 'org-mode)
      (message "(Info) Update Org buffer %s"
               (file-name-nondirectory (buffer-file-name)))
      (sit-for 1.5)
      (let ((flyspell-mode-before-save flyspell-mode))
        (flyspell-mode -1)              ; Temporarily disable Flyspell to
                                        ; avoid checking the following
                                        ; modifications of the buffer.
        (measure-time "Updated all dynamic blocks"
                      (org-update-all-dblocks))
        (measure-time "Re-applied formulas to all tables"
                      (org-table-iterate-buffer-tables))
        (when flyspell-mode-before-save (flyspell-mode 1)))))

  ;; Make sure that all dynamic blocks and all tables are always up-to-date.
  (add-hook 'before-save-hook 'my/org-update-buffer)

Is my observation shared?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Performance of table computing
@ 2015-03-31 11:57 ` Jacob Nielsen
From: Jacob Nielsen @ 2015-03-31 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com>
writes:

> Hello,
>
> In one of my Org files, I have 20 small tables. Among them, 11 have
> a line of formula's (TBLFM), mainly for computing a total (sum), so
> that's in essence relatively standard and simple.
>
> The file in itself is quite big (11,000 lines), but I did not expect to
> see that re-applying formulas to all of them would take 30 seconds... at
> every save... since I did add the following to my `.emacs' file:
Try this:
# -*- cache-long-scans: nil; -*-
# This makes forward-line much faster and thus org-goto-line
# and thus org-table-sum (C-c +)

My org file is 9990 lines without any tblfmt but I do summations on
columns on small tables once a week (invoicing for the week).

The speed of C-c + was driving me nuts.
> [snip]
> Is my observation shared?

Sadly, yes but setting cache-long-scans made me happy again.

Best regards,
Jacob

* Re: Performance of table computing
@ 2015-03-31 12:02 ` Jacob Nielsen
From: Jacob Nielsen @ 2015-03-31 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

writes:

> Hello,
>
> In one of my Org files, I have 20 small tables. Among them, 11 have
> a line of formula's (TBLFM), mainly for computing a total (sum), so
> that's in essence relatively standard and simple.
It looked like like Gnus failed when sending my reply the last time, so
sorry if this post comes twice.

Try this:
# -*- cache-long-scans: nil; -*-
# This makes forward-line much faster and thus org-goto-line and
# thus org-table-sum (C-c +)

My org file is 9990 lines and I just do weekly summations on small
tables used for invoices. The performance was driving my crazy but
setting cache-long-scans to nil has made me happy again.

Best regards,
Jacob

* Re: Performance of table computing
@ 2015-03-31 12:58   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2015-03-31 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Jacob Nielsen wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>
>> In one of my Org files, I have 20 small tables. Among them, 11 have
>> a line of formula's (TBLFM), mainly for computing a total (sum), so
>> that's in essence relatively standard and simple.
>
> Try this:
> # -*- cache-long-scans: nil; -*-
> # This makes forward-line much faster and thus org-goto-line and
> # thus org-table-sum (C-c +)
>
> My org file is 9990 lines and I just do weekly summations on small
> tables used for invoices. The performance was driving my crazy but
> setting cache-long-scans to nil has made me happy again.

Euh... It went down (no suspense anymore) from:

__Re-applied formulas to all tables (in 33.32 s)___________________________

to:

__Re-applied formulas to all tables (in 0.21 s)___________________________

Well, that's an HUGE improvement!  I couldn't believe my eyes...

I'll let-bind this variable in my above function, so that I don't have
to hardcode this anywhere...

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
  Seb