* render "->" as "&rarr" on html export?
@ 2015-03-23 16:23 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2015-03-23 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I feel like I've seen the answer to this somewhere but I can't find it --
is it possible for me to get "->" and "=>" to render as rightarrows (→, ⇒)?

\rightarrow will work, but doesn't give me the visual cue I want when
working in org. And entering unicode directly in org is pretty distracting
for me, as the gnome unicode shortcuts seem to turn themselves on and off
whenever I upgrade.

thanks!

* Re: render "->" as "&rarr" on html export?
@ 2015-03-23 16:48 ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2015-03-23 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Not an answer to your question, but alternative: the company-math[1]
package makes it really easy to insert unicode.

Best,
Ista

[1] https://github.com/vspinu/company-math

@ 2015-03-23 17:04 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-03-23 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> I feel like I've seen the answer to this somewhere but I can't find it --
> is it possible for me to get "->" and "=>" to render as rightarrows (→, ⇒)?

Do you want to render it in the buffer or on export?  For the buffer you
could use prettify-symbols-mode.

> \rightarrow will work, but doesn't give me the visual cue I want when
> working in org.

With org-entities you can have it displayed as the equivalent unicode
characters of e.g. \rightarrow.  With cdlatex you can insert \rightarrow
quickly (on my keyboard: "¨>").

—Rasmus

--
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they are not

* Re: render "->" as "&rarr" on html export?
@ 2015-03-23 20:06   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-03-23 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price, Org Mode

On 2015-03-23, at 17:48, Ista Zahn <istazahn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not an answer to your question, but alternative: the company-math[1]
> package makes it really easy to insert unicode.

Also, TeX input method.  Also, C-x 8 RET 2192 RET.  Also, filters.

> Best,
> Ista

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: render "->" as "&rarr" on html export?
@ 2015-03-24  8:50   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2015-03-24  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Rasmus wrote:
> Matt Price <moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> I feel like I've seen the answer to this somewhere but I can't find it --
>> is it possible for me to get "->" and "=>" to render as rightarrows (→, ⇒)?
>
> Do you want to render it in the buffer or on export?  For the buffer you
> could use prettify-symbols-mode.

... by adding the following into your .emacs:

  ;; Show entities as UTF8 characters.
  (setq org-pretty-entities t)          ; emsp, etc.

>> \rightarrow will work, but doesn't give me the visual cue I want when
>> working in org.
>
> With org-entities you can have it displayed as the equivalent unicode
> characters of e.g. \rightarrow.  With cdlatex you can insert \rightarrow
> quickly (on my keyboard: "¨>").

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: render "->" as "&rarr" on html export?
@ 2015-03-24  9:39     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-03-24  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com>
writes:

> Rasmus wrote:
>> Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I feel like I've seen the answer to this somewhere but I can't find it --
>>> is it possible for me to get "->" and "=>" to render as rightarrows (→, ⇒)?
>>
>> Do you want to render it in the buffer or on export?  For the buffer you
>> could use prettify-symbols-mode.
>
> ... by adding the following into your .emacs:
>
>   ;; Show entities as UTF8 characters.
>   (setq org-pretty-entities t)          ; emsp, etc.

This would work for "\rightarrow" but I don't think you can configure it
to support "->".  For that you'd need prettify-symbols-mode, I think.

—Rasmus

--
Dung makes an excellent fertilizer

* Re: render "->" as "&rarr" on html export?
@ 2015-03-24 10:27       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2015-03-24 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Rasmus wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> Rasmus wrote:

>>> Do you want to render it in the buffer or on export?  For the buffer you
>>> could use prettify-symbols-mode.
>>
>> ... by adding the following into your .emacs:
>>
>>   ;; Show entities as UTF8 characters.
>>   (setq org-pretty-entities t)          ; emsp, etc.
>
> This would work for "\rightarrow" but I don't think you can configure it
> to support "->".  For that you'd need prettify-symbols-mode, I think.

I think you're right, indeed!

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: render "->" as "&rarr" on html export?
@ 2015-03-25  5:42         ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2015-03-25  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com> writes:

> Rasmus wrote:
>> Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com> writes:

>>> ... by adding the following into your .emacs:
>>>
>>>   ;; Show entities as UTF8 characters.
>>>   (setq org-pretty-entities t)          ; emsp, etc.
>>
>> This would work for "\rightarrow" but I don't think you can configure it
>> to support "->".  For that you'd need prettify-symbols-mode, I think.
>
> I think you're right, indeed!

So we need both if we want to display all these characters, right ?

Regards
-- Xavier.

* Re: render "->" as "&rarr" on html export?
@ 2015-03-25 21:30           ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-03-25 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xavier Maillard <xavier@maillard.im> writes:

> So we need both if we want to display all these characters, right ?

\Rightarrow and friends are supported through org-entities.  This makes
sure that it's translated to the right symbol irrespective of the backend.

prettify-symbols-mode is for showing an "ascii characters" in a pretty
way.  This will do nothing for export.

If you don't mind unicode characters maybe an input method is what you
want.  E.g. with the rfc1345 input method, you can insert '→' with '&->'.

---Rasmus

--
And I faced endless streams of vendor-approved Ikea furniture. . .