* org-babel-tangle
@ 2013-04-15 14:56 Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2013-04-15 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

Hi,

When editing
https://github.com/bateast/google-calendar/blob/master/google-calendar.org
I assume from the documentation that hitting C-c C-v C-t or M-x
org-babel-tangle would produce the pure source (in casu elisp) file,
but it says 'Tangled 0 code blocks from google-calendar.org'

I am pretty sure that it should be possible to produce the source file
without any modification of the input file, but appearently I am
approaching it the wrong way.

Any help and suggestions would be most welcome,

Guido

--
Nadia Comaneci, simple perfection.
		-- '76 Olympics

http://vanhoecke.org ... and go2 places!

* Re: org-babel-tangle
@ 2013-04-15 15:04 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-04-15 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Guido Van Hoecke wrote:
> When editing
> https://github.com/bateast/google-calendar/blob/master/google-calendar.org
> I assume from the documentation that hitting C-c C-v C-t or M-x
> org-babel-tangle would produce the pure source (in casu elisp) file,
> but it says 'Tangled 0 code blocks from google-calendar.org'
>
> I am pretty sure that it should be possible to produce the source file
> without any modification of the input file, but appearently I am
> approaching it the wrong way.
>
> Any help and suggestions would be most welcome,

Put, at least, `#+PROPERTY: tangle yes' in the first lines of the Org file --
or put a target filename.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: org-babel-tangle
@ 2013-04-15 15:54   ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2013-04-15 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastien,

"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Guido Van Hoecke wrote:
>> When editing
>> https://github.com/bateast/google-calendar/blob/master/google-calendar.org
>> I assume from the documentation that hitting C-c C-v C-t or M-x
>> org-babel-tangle would produce the pure source (in casu elisp) file,
>> but it says 'Tangled 0 code blocks from google-calendar.org'
>>
>> I am pretty sure that it should be possible to produce the source file
>> without any modification of the input file, but appearently I am
>> approaching it the wrong way.
>>
>> Any help and suggestions would be most welcome,
>
> Put, at least, `#+PROPERTY: tangle yes' in the first lines of the Org file --
> or put a target filename.

I put it as first line of the file, saved it, and org-babel-tangle still
refuses to output any code.

Also tried `#+PROPERTY: tangle google-calendar.el' but again, no
success.

Seems to me that I fail to perform some very basic operation?!

Guido

--
As goatherd learns his trade by goat, so writer learns his trade by wrote.

@ 2013-04-15 15:56     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-15 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Van Hoecke; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Hi Guido,

Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> writes:

> I put it as first line of the file, saved it, and org-babel-tangle still
> refuses to output any code.
>
> Also tried `#+PROPERTY: tangle google-calendar.el' but again, no
> success.

You may need to refresh the configuration by hitting C-c C-c on the
#+PROPERTY line (or on any #+... line).

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-babel-tangle
@ 2013-04-15 16:08       ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2013-04-15 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien

> You may need to refresh the configuration by hitting C-c C-c on the
> #+PROPERTY line (or on any #+... line).

Of course, I should have realised this.
After refreshing, the tangle process works as expected.

Sorry for the noise,

Guido

--
Tempt not a desperate man.
		-- William Shakespeare, "Romeo and Juliet"

@ 2013-04-15 16:21         ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2013-04-15 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Bastien
>
>> You may need to refresh the configuration by hitting C-c C-c on the
>> #+PROPERTY line (or on any #+... line).
>
> Of course, I should have realised this.
> After refreshing, the tangle process works as expected.
>
> Sorry for the noise,

I did read the org manual very carefully before my initial post, as well
as after successfully applying the solution. I did not find any
statement about the need of such a `#+PROPERTY: tangle yes' line, so
maybe the manual should mention this? At least it would have avoided the
current noise.

Respectfully,

Guido

--
The key to building a superstar is to keep their mouth shut.  To reveal
an artist to the people can be to destroy him.  It isn't to anyone's

@ 2013-04-15 17:39           ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-04-15 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guido Van Hoecke; +Cc: Bastien, Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Bastien,
>
> Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Bastien
>>
>>> You may need to refresh the configuration by hitting C-c C-c on the
>>> #+PROPERTY line (or on any #+... line).
>>
>> Of course, I should have realised this.
>> After refreshing, the tangle process works as expected.
>>
>> Sorry for the noise,
>
> I did read the org manual very carefully before my initial post, as well
> as after successfully applying the solution. I did not find any
> statement about the need of such a `#+PROPERTY: tangle yes' line, so
> maybe the manual should mention this? At least it would have avoided the
> current noise.

The info page on tangling [1], does mention that the default behavior is
for blocks to not be tangled.

,----
| ':tangle no'
|      The default.  The code block is not included in the tangled output.
`----

Could you suggest a note which we could add to that page to improve
clarity and help others avoid the same trap you fell into?

Thanks

> Respectfully,
>

> Guido
>
> --
> The key to building a superstar is to keep their mouth shut.  To reveal
> an artist to the people can be to destroy him.  It isn't to anyone's
> advantage to see the truth.
> 		-- Bob Ezrin, rock music producer
>
> http://vanhoecke.org ... and go2 places!

Footnotes:
[1]  (info "(org)Extracting source code")

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: org-babel-tangle
@ 2013-04-15 19:03             ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2013-04-15 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Bastien, Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi Bastien,
>>
>> Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Bastien

>>> Of course, I should have realised this.
>>> After refreshing, the tangle process works as expected.
>>>
>>> Sorry for the noise,
>>
>> I did read the org manual very carefully before my initial post, as well
>> as after successfully applying the solution. I did not find any
>> statement about the need of such a `#+PROPERTY: tangle yes' line, so
>> maybe the manual should mention this? At least it would have avoided the
>> current noise.
>>

> The info page on tangling [1], does mention that the default behavior is
> for blocks to not be tangled.
>
> ,----
> | ':tangle no'
> |      The default.  The code block is not included in the tangled output.
> `----
>
> Could you suggest a note which we could add to that page to improve
> clarity and help others avoid the same trap you fell into?

Further reading / study of the manual showed that the required info is
present at the end of section `14.1  Structure of code blocks':

,----
| <header arguments>
|
| Optional header arguments control many aspects of evaluation,
| export and tangling of code blocks (see Header arguments).
| Header arguments can also be set on a per-buffer or per-subtree
| basis using properties.
`----

And section `14.8.1 Using header arguments' is very explicit and gives
examples of all possible usages.

So the manual is very complete and only needs to be read :P

Again, sorry for the noise.

Respectfully,

Guido

--