* (Potential) new feature for Org-mode: "hidden-lines cookies"
@ 2013-05-22 14:14 Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-05-22 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi List,

I implemented a new (optional and customizable) feature for
'outshine.el' (https://github.com/tj64/outshine):

,--------------------------------------------------------------------
| Behind every folded headline, a little 'cookie' shows the number of
| hidden lines till the next visible headline.
`--------------------------------------------------------------------

E.g., an Emacs Lisp buffer structured the 'outshine-way', with
'outline-minor-mode' and 'outshine' activated, might look like this
after doing 'M-x outshine-show-hidden-lines-cookies':

,-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| ;; * navi-mode.el --- major-mode for easy buffer-navigation [#13]
| ;; ** Commentary [#1]
| ;; *** About navi-mode
|
| ;; This file implements extensions for occur-mode. You can think of a
| ;; navi-buffer as a kind of 'remote-control' for an (adecuately)
| ;; outline-structured original-buffer. It enables quick navigation and basic
| ;; structure editing in the original-buffer without (necessarily) leaving the
| ;; navi-buffer. When switching to the original-buffer and coming back after
| ;; some modifications, the navi-buffer is always reverted (thus up-to-date).
|
| ;; Besides the fundamental outline-heading-searches (8 outline-levels) and the
| ;; 5 basic keyword-searches (:FUN, :VAR, :DB, :OBJ and :ALL), all languages
| ;; can have their own set of searches and keybindings (see `navi-key-mappings'
| ;; and `navi-keywords'). Heading-searches and keyword-searches can be
| ;; combined, offering a vast amount of possible 'views' at the
| ;; original-buffer.
|
| ;; *** Usage [#165]
| ;; *** Installation [#19]
| ;; *** Emacs Version [#5]
| ;; * Requires [#4]
| ;; * Mode Definitions [#30]
`-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 'M-x outshine-hide-hidden-lines-cookies' deletes all the cookies again.

Now I wonder if such a feature already exists in Org-mode (I would not
be surprised, but I'm not aware of it) and if anybody would be
interested in having such a feature?

I guess it would be quite easy to extract the relevant functionality
from outshine.el and make it a contrib library for Org-mode (mostly
renaming of definitions and maybe replacing some outline-functions by
their Org-mode equivalents.

On the other hand - this is new (customizable) syntax, and with the new
parser and exporting framework there are probably more things to
consider than just porting the code to an Org-mode library.

PS
Note that the appearance of the cookies can actually be completely
customized by 4 customizable variables that define 'left/right
delimiter' and 'left/right signal char'.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: (Potential) new feature for Org-mode: "hidden-lines cookies"
@ 2013-05-22 17:10 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-05-22 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 04:14:03PM +0200, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:

> Now I wonder if such a feature already exists in Org-mode (I would not
> be surprised, but I'm not aware of it) and if anybody would be
> interested in having such a feature?

As per my understanding, there is no such feature; and as a user, I
would love it!

--
Suvayu

* Re: (Potential) new feature for Org-mode: "hidden-lines cookies"
@ 2013-05-22 20:37   ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-05-22 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 04:14:03PM +0200, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
>>
>> Now I wonder if such a feature already exists in Org-mode (I would not
>> be surprised, but I'm not aware of it) and if anybody would be
>> interested in having such a feature?
>
> As per my understanding, there is no such feature; and as a user, I
> would love it!

Ok, the porting was even easier than I imagined, just renaming the
definitions did the job, the code worked 'as is' with Org-mode buffers
too.

See my anouncement mail please.

--

@ 2013-05-23  8:39   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-05-23  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Suvayu, Thorsten,

Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> Now I wonder if such a feature already exists in Org-mode (I would not
>> be surprised, but I'm not aware of it) and if anybody would be
>> interested in having such a feature?
>
> As per my understanding, there is no such feature; and as a user, I
> would love it!

It does exist in the "Org-mode clone for Vim", but not yet in Org...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: (Potential) new feature for Org-mode: "hidden-lines cookies"
@ 2013-05-24  1:27     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-05-24  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 10:39:03AM +0200, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
> Hi Suvayu, Thorsten,
>
> Suvayu Ali wrote:
> >> Now I wonder if such a feature already exists in Org-mode (I would not
> >> be surprised, but I'm not aware of it) and if anybody would be
> >> interested in having such a feature?
> >
> > As per my understanding, there is no such feature; and as a user, I
> > would love it!
>
> It does exist in the "Org-mode clone for Vim", but not yet in Org...

VimOrganizer although really cool, is not Emacs Org-mode ;).

--
Suvayu

* Re: (Potential) new feature for Org-mode: "hidden-lines cookies"
@ 2013-05-24  9:07       ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-05-24  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Suvayu,

Suvayu Ali wrote:

>> > As per my understanding, there is no such feature; and as a user, I
>> > would love it!
>>
>> It does exist in the "Org-mode clone for Vim", but not yet in Org...
>
> VimOrganizer although really cool,

Never used it, but it looks like it's cool (on Vimeo)...

> is not Emacs Org-mode ;).

... Yes, that's why that feature deserves to be in Emacs Org-mode as well! ;-)

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban