From: Fabrice Niessen <fni-news-TA4HMoP+1wHrZ44/DZwexQ@public.gmane.org>
To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: LaTeX export and org-add-link-type
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 16:38:49 +0200	[thread overview]

Leonard Avery Randall wrote:
> Serge Cohen writes:
>> Is this normal, if so is there another way to obtain the same results
>> as what is proposed in the documentation ?
>
> The behaviour you are explaining is not normal.  The setup you described
> should work.
>
>> To complete the post : I am using Aquamacs (MacOSX gui-version), based
>> on GNU emacs 23.4.1 The included version of org.el is Version: 6.33x
>
> Herein lies your problem.  6.33 is a very old version of org. I tested
> the old Aquamacs 2.5 with org 6.33 and it does not work.  You should
> update your org version and probably your emacs as well.  I tested your
> code on the newer Aquamacs 3.0 release and it works.  If you like the
> Aquamacs key commands then 3.0 is a reasonable bet. It comes with org
> 7.9.3. Other good distros for OSX can be acquired through macports,
> homebrew, or emacsforosx.  All of these are fairly integrated into the
> osx environment (the homebrew distro comes with a few config options so
> you may want to look to see which one is best for you).
>
> Regarding org mode version, I would recommend the most recent version
> which is available through melpa.  If you have a lot of stuff in your
> org configuration file, updating to org version 8.x requires a bit of
> work, but the new backend should be stable, so you want have to fiddle
> too much with your init file in the future.
>
> Once you upgrade to emacs 24, adding new packages is fairly easy through
> package.el. Just add this snippet to your init file.
>
> (when (>= emacs-major-version 24)
>   (require 'package)
>   (package-initialize)
>   (add-to-list 'package-archives
>   '("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/") t))
>
> Then to upgrade to the latest version of org-mode just press `M-x package
> install RET org-plus-contrib RET'.

Note that using custom link types is -- in my opinion -- outperformed by
the Org macros. For example, because custom link types limit you to
2 arguments, no more.

With macros, you can have as many as you want (or at least 9?), and you
can also easily convert the macro code per back-end; for example:

  #+MACRO: cite @@latex:\cite{$1}@@@@odt:\cite{$1}@@

Note that I'm planning to write a set of default (useful) Org macros,
and publish them.

My project is currently on GitHub: https://github.com/fniessen/org-macros.

See documentation on
http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/fniessen/org-macros/blob/master/README.html.