From: "Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org>
To: Vicente Vera <vichovp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
Cc: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: Can't write accents in R graphics
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:43:05 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello Vicente,

(Copying to the mailing list...)

Vicente Vera wrote:
> I have a similar problem, but found out a workaround.
> My native coding system is Latin-1, and after setting almost everything in
> my Emacs to UTF-8 with these lines in my init.el:
>
> (set-language-environment "UTF-8")
> (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
> (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
> (set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
> (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
>
> it became troublesome to add accents in plot legends/titles.
> My guess is that is an R related problem. I tried changing the coding
> system in R but it seems to be bound to the OS encoding (i'm using Windows
> btw).

I should have said it: I'm on Windows as well.

> Since all my Emacs files (Org files included) are encoded in UTF-8, i
> simply replace the troublesome characters with their Unicode equivalent.

And, by default, I'm using UTF-8 everywhere...

> Following your example:
>
> title("Élève")
>
> becomes:
>
> title("\U00C9l\U00E8ve")
>
> This site might help in looking for specific codes:
> http://www.utf8-chartable.de/

OK, I can imagine that workaround works, but I really can't resolve to type
such esoteric characters in my Org buffers, really.

I'd well be enclined to convert my buffers to ISO Latin 1, would it resolve the
problem -- but I did not find any solution with Latin 1 either.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban