* initiate source edits and region
@ 2013-05-03 10:48 Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-05-03 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

want to wrap org-mode src markup around code in existing region.

Having a look at the way "<sTAB" works internally, it seems hard to make use of it.
The region is affected already by inserting "<sTAB".

That part probably would profit being moved closer to the way, edit commands are called commonly.

Maybe someone already wrote such region-sensitive insert/init?

Best regards,

Andreas

* Re: initiate source edits and region
@ 2013-05-03 11:11 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-05-03 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Andreas,

Andreas Röhler wrote:
> want to wrap org-mode src markup around code in existing region.
>
> Maybe someone already wrote such region-sensitive insert/init?

Yes, Eric: C-c C-v C-d

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: initiate source edits and region
@ 2013-05-03 11:22   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-05-03 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 03.05.2013 13:11, schrieb Sebastien Vauban:
> Andreas,
>
> Andreas Röhler wrote:
>> want to wrap org-mode src markup around code in existing region.
>>
>> Maybe someone already wrote such region-sensitive insert/init?
>
> Yes, Eric: C-c C-v C-d
>
> Best regards,
>    Seb

That's it, thanks!

* Re: initiate source edits and region
@ 2013-05-03 13:19   ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2013-05-03 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastien Vauban" writes:

> Yes, Eric: C-c C-v C-d

Wow, I did not know that command, which seems quite useful!  Thanks.

However, it inserts the markers in lower case.  In a previous mail list
discussion on this (delicate, almost heated) matter, Bastien finally
ruled out that the preference in Org documentation and behaviour should
use capitals.  As my preference then was then lower case, I edited all
my Org files to use capitals instead, as a way towards consistency with
Org.  The above command should also insert capitals, for Org being
consistent with itself :-)

François

* Re: initiate source edits and region
@ 2013-05-03 13:35     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-05-03 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello François,

François Pinard wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" writes:
>
>> Yes, Eric: C-c C-v C-d
>
> Wow, I did not know that command, which seems quite useful!  Thanks.
>
> However, it inserts the markers in lower case.  In a previous mail list
> discussion on this (delicate, almost heated) matter, Bastien finally
> ruled out that the preference in Org documentation and behaviour should
> use capitals.  As my preference then was then lower case, I edited all
> my Org files to use capitals instead, as a way towards consistency with
> Org.  The above command should also insert capitals, for Org being
> consistent with itself :-)

So true this can become a very passionate debate.

Regarding the case, I followed Carsten telling he'd have used lower case from
the beginning if nice keyword highlighting had been available at that time.

That, plus personal taste, made me stick with lower case.

Unlike you, I just edited 2 lines, to keep all my files consistent:

  ;; keep lower-case
  (setq org-babel-results-keyword "results")

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: initiate source edits and region
@ 2013-05-03 13:36     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-05-03 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Pinard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 3.5.2013, at 15:19, François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> "Sebastien Vauban" writes:
>
>> Yes, Eric: C-c C-v C-d
>
> Wow, I did not know that command, which seems quite useful!  Thanks.

I did not know it either.  Great.

> However, it inserts the markers in lower case.  In a previous mail list
> discussion on this (delicate, almost heated) matter, Bastien finally
> ruled out that the preference in Org documentation and behaviour should
> use capitals.

Could you please point me to that discussion?  Thanks.

- Carsten

>  As my preference then was then lower case, I edited all
> my Org files to use capitals instead, as a way towards consistency with
> Org.  The above command should also insert capitals, for Org being
> consistent with itself :-)

I think this would be one more useful option to add.

- Carsten

* Re: initiate source edits and region
@ 2013-05-05  2:36       ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2013-05-05  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Bastien, Bastien

>> In a previous mail list discussion on this (delicate, almost heated)
>> matter, Bastien finally ruled out that the preference in Org
>> documentation and behaviour should use capitals.

> Could you please point me to that discussion?  Thanks.

I tried for a few jiffies to find pointers.  I did find a few related
messages written around or before 2012-05, but not that one containing
Bastien's decision.  The simplest would be to write Bastien directly
(hoping he remembers).  Do you read us, Bastien?

>> The above command should also insert capitals, for Org being
>> consistent with itself :-)

Whatever the decision about capitals is retained or reversed, I would
surely like if the manual was using one convention consistently, and
that Org mode itself, while recognizing any capitalization, was
consistently generating the same which the manual uses, of course.

> I think this would be one more useful option to add.

An option could of course change how Org operates, but it would not
change the manual.  The default or implicit value for that option should
then be consistent with the manual.

> - Carsten

François :-)

* Re: initiate source edits and region
@ 2013-05-07 10:46         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-05-07 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Pinard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi François and all,

François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> In a previous mail list discussion on this (delicate, almost heated)
>>> matter, Bastien finally ruled out that the preference in Org
>>> documentation and behaviour should use capitals.
>
>> Could you please point me to that discussion?  Thanks.
>
> I tried for a few jiffies to find pointers.  I did find a few related
> messages written around or before 2012-05, but not that one containing
> Bastien's decision.  The simplest would be to write Bastien directly
> (hoping he remembers).  Do you read us, Bastien?

I do :)

I remember I expressed a preference for capitals, but I don't
remember if this was some policy I really wanted to enforce...
I don't really care, actually.

> Whatever the decision about capitals is retained or reversed, I would
> surely like if the manual was using one convention consistently, and
> that Org mode itself, while recognizing any capitalization, was
> consistently generating the same which the manual uses, of course.

This should be the case, the manual contains this paragraph:

     Moreover, Org uses option keywords (like '#+TITLE' to set the title)
  and environment keywords (like '#+BEGIN_HTML' to start a 'HTML'
  environment).  They are written in uppercase in the manual to enhance
  its readability, but you can use lowercase in your Org files(1)

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: initiate source edits and region
@ 2013-05-07 11:32           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-05-07 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: François Pinard, emacs-orgmode

On 7 mei 2013, at 12:46, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi François and all,
>
> François Pinard <pinard@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

>>> Could you please point me to that discussion?  Thanks.
>>
>> I tried for a few jiffies to find pointers.  I did find a few related
>> messages written around or before 2012-05, but not that one containing
>> Bastien's decision.  The simplest would be to write Bastien directly
>> (hoping he remembers).  Do you read us, Bastien?
>
> I do :)
>
> I remember I expressed a preference for capitals, but I don't
> remember if this was some policy I really wanted to enforce...
> I don't really care, actually.
>
>> Whatever the decision about capitals is retained or reversed, I would
>> surely like if the manual was using one convention consistently, and
>> that Org mode itself, while recognizing any capitalization, was
>> consistently generating the same which the manual uses, of course.
>
> This should be the case, the manual contains this paragraph:
>
>     Moreover, Org uses option keywords (like '#+TITLE' to set the title)
>  and environment keywords (like '#+BEGIN_HTML' to start a 'HTML'
>  environment).  They are written in uppercase in the manual to enhance
>  its readability, but you can use lowercase in your Org files(1)

I think the capitals make sense in the manual because it is viewed and printed in black and white, so here this is a good technique to make these keywords stick out.  I believe for working in a buffer where we have font-lock support, Org should cater to user preferences.

- Carsten