* Customizing Org 8.0 Export
@ 2013-05-21  2:03 Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2013-05-21  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

First, I am using Org version 8.0.3-140-g84bae8.

I'm having some weird customization issues that I don't know how to
resolve.

When Emacs is started, not all the org variables are visible or
available for customization. Here is an example involving HTML export
customization.

1. Start Emacs
2. M-x customize-group org-export-html
   - None of the org-html variables appear on the list.
3. M-x customize-variable org-html-head
   - Changes to org-export-html-head
4. Open up an org file to export to HTML
5. C-c C-e h h
6. M-x customize-group org-export-html
   - Now the org-html variables appear
7. M-x customize-variable org-html-head
   - Works

I can live with the above behavior, but I have a problem when it comes
to customizing LaTeX export.

1. In a manner similar to the org-html variable situation described
   above, variables such as org-latex-classes are not available for
   customization when Emacs is started. One must do C-c C-e l p on an
   org file to make these variables available.

2. I want to put the following in my init.el:

     (add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
             '("notesclass"
               "\\documentclass{article}"
               ("\\section{%s}" . "\\newsection{%s}")
               ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\newsubsection{%s}")))

    But when I do, I get the following on startup:

      Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
      `/home/srandby/.emacs.d/init.el':

      Symbol's value as variable is void: org-latex-classes

      To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove
      the cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start
      Emacs with the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error
      backtrace.

    This means I cannot put the above code in my init.el file where I
    want it to be.

Is there any way to make all of org's variables available for
customization on startup?

Scott Randby

* Re: Customizing Org 8.0 Export
@ 2013-05-21  5:25 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-05-21  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 20, 2013 9:03 PM, "Scott Randby" <srandby@gmail.com> wrote:

> First, I am using Org version 8.0.3-140-g84bae8.
>
> I'm having some weird customization issues that I don't know how to
> resolve.
>
> When Emacs is started, not all the org variables are visible or
> available for customization. Here is an example involving HTML export
> customization.
>
> 1. Start Emacs
> 2. M-x customize-group org-export-html
>    - None of the org-html variables appear on the list.
> 3. M-x customize-variable org-html-head
>    - Changes to org-export-html-head
> 4. Open up an org file to export to HTML
> 5. C-c C-e h h
> 6. M-x customize-group org-export-html
>    - Now the org-html variables appear
> 7. M-x customize-variable org-html-head
>    - Works
>
> I can live with the above behavior, but I have a problem when it comes
> to customizing LaTeX export.
>
> 1. In a manner similar to the org-html variable situation described
>    above, variables such as org-latex-classes are not available for
>    customization when Emacs is started. One must do C-c C-e l p on an
>    org file to make these variables available.
>
> 2. I want to put the following in my init.el:
>
>      (add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
>              '("notesclass"
>                "\\documentclass{article}"
>                ("\\section{%s}" . "\\newsection{%s}")
>                ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\newsubsection{%s}")))
>
>     But when I do, I get the following on startup:
>
>       Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
>       `/home/srandby/.emacs.d/init.el':
>
>       Symbol's value as variable is void: org-latex-classes
>
>       To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove
>       the cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start
>       Emacs with the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error
>       backtrace.
>
>     This means I cannot put the above code in my init.el file where I
>     want it to be.
>
> Is there any way to make all of org's variables available for
> customization on startup?

Yes, see the original exporter announcement:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/65574

Section 3.0 calls out two methods of setting available backends. I'm
guessing you are customizing org-export-backends vs (require 'ox-backend).
Try requiring the backend and all associated variables will be there on
startup.

John

@ 2013-05-21  7:57 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-05-21  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Scott,

Scott Randby wrote:
> 2. I want to put the following in my init.el:
>
>      (add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
>              '("notesclass"
>                "\\documentclass{article}"
>                ("\\section{%s}" . "\\newsection{%s}")
>                ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\newsubsection{%s}")))
>
>     But when I do, I get the following on startup:
>
>       Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
>       `/home/srandby/.emacs.d/init.el':
>
>       Symbol's value as variable is void: org-latex-classes
>
>       To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove
>       the cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start
>       Emacs with the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error
>       backtrace.
>
>     This means I cannot put the above code in my init.el file where I
>     want it to be.

For such cases, I do write:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  ;; LaTeX back-end
  (eval-after-load "ox-latex"
    '(progn

      ;; your code...

    )) ;; eval-after-load "ox-latex" ends here
#+end_src

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Customizing Org 8.0 Export
@ 2013-05-21 13:53   ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2013-05-21 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 05/21/2013 01:25 AM, John Hendy wrote:
> On May 20, 2013 9:03 PM, "Scott Randby" <srandby@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there any way to make all of org's variables available for
>> customization on startup?
>>

> Yes, see the original exporter announcement:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/65574
>
> Section 3.0 calls out two methods of setting available backends. I'm
> guessing you are customizing org-export-backends vs (require 'ox-backend).
> Try requiring the backend and all associated variables will be there on
> startup.
>
> John

Thanks for the solution.

This is the second time in a row I've been referred to the original
exporter announcement. I'm sorry that my questions are so basic, but I
put off switching to 8.0 because my understanding of how org and Emacs
work is not very deep and I know little elisp. Once I have things set
up, I leave them alone and get to work. I'm very grateful to this list
for helping me figure out things that, in hindsight, are obvious.

@ 2013-05-21 14:48     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-05-21 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/21/2013 01:25 AM, John Hendy wrote:
>> On May 20, 2013 9:03 PM, "Scott Randby" <srandby@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is there any way to make all of org's variables available for
>>> customization on startup?
>>>

>> Yes, see the original exporter announcement:
>>
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/65574
>>
>> Section 3.0 calls out two methods of setting available backends. I'm
>> guessing you are customizing org-export-backends vs (require 'ox-backend).
>> Try requiring the backend and all associated variables will be there on
>> startup.
>>
>> John
>
> Thanks for the solution.
>
> This is the second time in a row I've been referred to the original
> exporter announcement. I'm sorry that my questions are so basic, but I
> put off switching to 8.0 because my understanding of how org and Emacs
> work is not very deep and I know little elisp. Once I have things set
> up, I leave them alone and get to work. I'm very grateful to this list
> for helping me figure out things that, in hindsight, are obvious.

No problem, and I wouldn't say it was *that* obvious :) I found this
document extremely helpful:
- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-8.0.html

I also started (and should really update again/maintain!) this as a
landing place for documenting other things as they come up:
- http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/ox-overview.html

And have a blog post walking through setting things up here, if it helps:
- http://jwhendy.blogspot.com/2013/03/migrating-to-new-org-mode-exporter-org.html

Good luck! We're all learning here, so no worries on the mailing list.
More things for Google to index for users stumbling on this after you!

John

@ 2013-05-21 15:29       ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2013-05-21 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 05/21/2013 10:48 AM, John Hendy wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Yes, see the original exporter announcement:
>>>
>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/65574
>>>
>>> Section 3.0 calls out two methods of setting available backends. I'm
>>> guessing you are customizing org-export-backends vs (require 'ox-backend).
>>> Try requiring the backend and all associated variables will be there on
>>> startup.
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> Thanks for the solution.
>>
>> This is the second time in a row I've been referred to the original
>> exporter announcement. I'm sorry that my questions are so basic, but I
>> put off switching to 8.0 because my understanding of how org and Emacs
>> work is not very deep and I know little elisp. Once I have things set
>> up, I leave them alone and get to work. I'm very grateful to this list
>> for helping me figure out things that, in hindsight, are obvious.
>
> No problem, and I wouldn't say it was *that* obvious :) I found this
> document extremely helpful:
> - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-8.0.html
>
> I also started (and should really update again/maintain!) this as a
> landing place for documenting other things as they come up:
> - http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/ox-overview.html
>
> And have a blog post walking through setting things up here, if it helps:
> - http://jwhendy.blogspot.com/2013/03/migrating-to-new-org-mode-exporter-org.html

Thanks for these links. I have been to the org-8.0.html page before, but
I only read part of it. If I would just read through all these nice
pages, then there would be no problem setting things up. But my approach
to Emacs and org is rather haphazard --- I pick up those things I need
and ignore all the rest. My init.el file is a sorry mess. One of these
days I'll go through everything methodically.

> Good luck! We're all learning here, so no worries on the mailing list.
> More things for Google to index for users stumbling on this after you!

Yes, this list is great. I've asked simple questions on other lists and
received nasty RTFM responses.