* Can't execute the introductory code: take table as input to produce mean
@ 2014-08-05  6:48 jenia mtl
From: jenia mtl @ 2014-08-05  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello:

I want to learn babel-mode so I'm going through
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html#source-code-blocks-org.

I'm trying to execute the basic tutorial's script and for some reason can't
do it.

I'm suppose to feed a table as input to a function. This is the table:

    #+name: tbl-example-data()
    #+begin_src R
    runif(n=5, min=0, max=1)
    #+end_src

    #+RESULTS: tbl-example-data
    |  0.607781215803698 |
    |  0.157157169422135 |
    |  0.675619817571715 |
    | 0.0488600700628012 |
    |  0.998780139256269 |

The next function is the function to be executed:

    #+name: R-mean(x)
    #+begin_src R
    mean(x)
    #+end_src

When I try to run it by pressing `C-c C-c`
I get `variable "x" in block "R-mean" must be assigned a default value`.

I tried to explicitly run the function R-mean(x) like so.

    #+call: R-mean(tbl-example-data)

Unfortunately I get

    Reference 'R-mean' not found in this buffer

How do I run the function R-mean using the vlaues from tbl-example-data?

Thanks in advance.

Jenia

* Re: Can't execute the introductory code: take table as input to produce mean
@ 2014-08-05  9:52 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-08-05  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello jenia,

> I want to learn babel-mode so I'm going through
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html#source-code-blocks-org.
>
> I'm trying to execute the basic tutorial's script and for some reason can't
> do it.
>
> I'm suppose to feed a table as input to a function. This is the table:
>
>     #+name: tbl-example-data()
>     #+begin_src R
>     runif(n=5, min=0, max=1)
>     #+end_src
>
>     #+RESULTS: tbl-example-data
>     |  0.607781215803698 |
>     |  0.157157169422135 |
>     |  0.675619817571715 |
>     | 0.0488600700628012 |
>     |  0.998780139256269 |
>
> The next function is the function to be executed:
>
>     #+name: R-mean(x)
>     #+begin_src R
>     mean(x)
>     #+end_src
>
> When I try to run it by pressing `C-c C-c`
> I get `variable "x" in block "R-mean" must be assigned a default value`.
>
> How do I run the function R-mean using the vlaues from tbl-example-data?

Add a variable to your code block:

      #+name: R-mean(x)
      #+begin_src R :var x=tbl-example-data
      mean(x)
      #+end_src

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Can't execute the introductory code: take table as input to produce mean
@ 2014-08-06  6:08 jenia.ivlev
From: jenia.ivlev @ 2014-08-06  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

 Its the first time I use this type of mail system. I connected here
 using gmane and gnus. I;m not sure how to answer the thread "Can't
 execute the introductory code: take table as input to produce mean".
 So i'll just try to answer the best way I can who means I'll answer to:
 emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org.

 Thanks Sebastien. Tell me though please, how do I define R-mean(x) to
 take any x? How do I run R-mean in the following form:
 R-mean(my-table1), R-mean(my-table2)...
 Cause here, it seems that R-mean is defined with the variable "x"
 hard-wired to  a specific value, namely x=tbl-example-data.

 So again, how do I call R-mean with x=tbl-example-data2 lets say
 (without redefining R-mean)?

 Thanks in advance.

* Re: Can't execute the introductory code: take table as input to produce mean
@ 2014-08-06 14:14 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-08-06 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

jenia.ivlev wrote:
>  Its the first time I use this type of mail system. I connected here
>  using gmane and gnus. I;m not sure how to answer the thread "Can't
>  execute the introductory code: take table as input to produce mean".
>  So i'll just try to answer the best way I can who means I'll answer to:
>  emacs-orgmode-0jIIvIziipk@public.gmane.org
>
>  Thanks Sebastien. Tell me though please, how do I define R-mean(x) to
>  take any x? How do I run R-mean in the following form:
>  R-mean(my-table1), R-mean(my-table2)...
>  Cause here, it seems that R-mean is defined with the variable "x"
>  hard-wired to  a specific value, namely x=tbl-example-data.

Adding `:var x=something' serves 2 purposes:

- Defining the `x' parameter (to the code block)
- Setting its default value

>  So again, how do I call R-mean with x=tbl-example-data2 lets say
>  (without redefining R-mean)?

#+call: R-mean(x=tbl-example-data2)

Best regards,
  Seb