* How to get the link the point is on?
@ 2014-09-25 20:54 Marcin Borkowski
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-09-25 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Hi list,

my question is as in subject.  It is done by org-open-at-point
(somehow), but the logic seems to be buried in that function.  What I'd
like to have is a function that would just extract the link portion
(which is normally invisible) and displayed it in the echo area
(something like hovering over a link in a web browser).

I skimmed through org.el, and either I couldn't find a function which
does it, or this email is a feature request;).

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: How to get the link the point is on?
@ 2014-09-25 21:41 ` Rasmus
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Rasmus @ 2014-09-25 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> my question is as in subject.  It is done by org-open-at-point
> (somehow), but the logic seems to be buried in that function.  What I'd
> like to have is a function that would just extract the link portion
> (which is normally invisible) and displayed it in the echo area
> (something like hovering over a link in a web browser).
>
> I skimmed through org.el, and either I couldn't find a function which
> does it, or this email is a feature request;).

If point is on a link you can

   (org-element-property :raw-link (org-element-context))

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
May the Force be with you

* Re: How to get the link the point is on?
@ 2014-09-25 21:49 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2014-09-25 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Org-mode

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
[...]
> What I'd like to have is a function that would just extract the link
> portion (which is normally invisible) and displayed it in the echo
> area (something like hovering over a link in a web browser).

There may be a better way, but I think below does what you want.

#+begin_src elisp
  (defun org-display-link ()
    (interactive)
    (message "%s" (org-element-property :raw-link (org-element-context))))
#+end_src

--
Kyle

* Re: How to get the link the point is on?
@ 2014-09-25 21:49 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-09-25 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcin Borkowski writes:

> Hi list,
>
> my question is as in subject.  It is done by org-open-at-point
> (somehow), but the logic seems to be buried in that function.
> What I'd like to have is a function that would just extract the
> link portion (which is normally invisible) and displayed it in
> the echo area (something like hovering over a link in a web
> browser).

This returns the link at the line, it assumes one link per line:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (defun test ()
    (save-excursion
      (move-beginning-of-line 1)
      (if (search-forward-regexp org-any-link-re
      (line-end-position) t)
          (let* ((complete-link (match-string 0))
                 (last-place (string-match "\\]" complete-link)))
            (substring-no-properties complete-link 2
            last-place))))

#+END_SRC

Best,

--
Jorge.

* Re: How to get the link the point is on?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-09-25 21:50 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-09-25 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> my question is as in subject.  It is done by org-open-at-point
> (somehow), but the logic seems to be buried in that function.  What I'd
> like to have is a function that would just extract the link portion
> (which is normally invisible) and displayed it in the echo area
> (something like hovering over a link in a web browser).
>
> I skimmed through org.el, and either I couldn't find a function which
> does it, or this email is a feature request;).

you know about

,----[ C-h f org-toggle-link-display RET ]

`----

?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: How to get the link the point is on?
@ 2014-09-25 22:44   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-09-25 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-09-25, at 23:50, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> my question is as in subject.  It is done by org-open-at-point
>> (somehow), but the logic seems to be buried in that function.  What I'd
>> like to have is a function that would just extract the link portion
>> (which is normally invisible) and displayed it in the echo area
>> (something like hovering over a link in a web browser).
>>
>> I skimmed through org.el, and either I couldn't find a function which
>> does it, or this email is a feature request;).
>
> you know about
>
> ,----[ C-h f org-toggle-link-display RET ]
> | org-toggle-link-display is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> | `org.el'.
> |
> | It is bound to <menu-bar> <Org> <Hyperlinks> <Descriptive Links>,
> | <menu-bar> <Org> <Hyperlinks> <Literal Links>.
> |
> | (org-toggle-link-display)
> |
> | Toggle the literal or descriptive display of links.
> `----
>
> ?

Yes, I do, but this is not what I'm looking for.  I want to see the
`descriptive' links, only to be able (sometimes) to look up the actual
target of the link.  (And I don't like the idea of moving the point to
the end, pressing <backspace> to delete the rightmost bracket, and then
pressing C-\ to undo it...)

Best,

--

@ 2014-09-25 23:33   ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-09-25 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus writes:

> If point is on a link you can
>
>    (org-element-property :raw-link (org-element-context))

That's way easier =)

--
Jorge.

* Re: How to get the link the point is on?
@ 2014-09-26 16:54     ` Subhan Michael Tindall
From: Subhan Michael Tindall @ 2014-09-26 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Marcin Borkowski', emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

[SNIP]
[SNIP]
> > you know about
> >
> > ,----[ C-h f org-toggle-link-display RET ]
> > | org-toggle-link-display is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> > | `org.el'.
> > |
> > | It is bound to <menu-bar> <Org> <Hyperlinks> <Descriptive Links>,
> > | <menu-bar> <Org> <Hyperlinks> <Literal Links>.
> > |
> > | (org-toggle-link-display)
> > |
> > | Toggle the literal or descriptive display of links.
> > `----
> >
> > ?
>
> Yes, I do, but this is not what I'm looking for.  I want to see the `descriptive'
> links, only to be able (sometimes) to look up the actual target of the link.
> (And I don't like the idea of moving the point to the end, pressing
> <backspace> to delete the rightmost bracket, and then pressing C-\ to undo
> it...)
[>]

I accomplish this by using C-c C-l  RET RET (which is bound to org-insert-link and resides in org.el)
Technically it pops up the long link and description for editing in the message buffer, but they default to current values so effectively provide an easy display.  Works from anywhere in the highlighted link.
If nothing else it should point you at some modifiable code you can use for display.

Subhan

> Best,
>
> --
> Marcin Borkowski
> http://octd.wmi.amu.edu.pl/en/Marcin_Borkowski
> Adam Mickiewicz University

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.

* Re: How to get the link the point is on?
@ 2014-09-27  9:50     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-09-27  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Marcin Borkowski wrote:
> On 2014-09-25, at 23:50, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
>> Marcin Borkowski <mbork-12VZH/wba7B4rM3dGMyr8Q@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>>
>>> my question is as in subject.  It is done by org-open-at-point
>>> (somehow), but the logic seems to be buried in that function.  What I'd
>>> like to have is a function that would just extract the link portion
>>> (which is normally invisible) and displayed it in the echo area
>>> (something like hovering over a link in a web browser).
>>>
>>> I skimmed through org.el, and either I couldn't find a function which
>>> does it, or this email is a feature request;).
>>
>> you know about
>>
>> ,----[ C-h f org-toggle-link-display RET ]
>> | org-toggle-link-display is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
>> | `org.el'.
>> |
>> | It is bound to <menu-bar> <Org> <Hyperlinks> <Descriptive Links>,
>> | <menu-bar> <Org> <Hyperlinks> <Literal Links>.
>> |
>> | (org-toggle-link-display)
>> |
>> | Toggle the literal or descriptive display of links.
>> `----
>
> Yes, I do, but this is not what I'm looking for.  I want to see the
> `descriptive' links, only to be able (sometimes) to look up the actual
> target of the link.  (And I don't like the idea of moving the point to
> the end, pressing <backspace> to delete the rightmost bracket, and then
> pressing C-\ to undo it...)

When I want to see *all* the contents in my Org file (that is LOGBOOK
entries, URL in links, etc.), I use M-x visible-mode.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban