From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: no syntax highlighting for code blocks with org-publish
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 07:50:47 +1000	[thread overview]

"M. Pger" <mpger@protonmail.com> writes:

> Thank you for your answer. Here it is:
>
> 1. Create the following directory structure (3 directories):
> ~/test/
> ├── content
> ├── html
> └── .packages
>
> 2. Create the .el script to build the website (=~/test/build.el=):
>
> #+begin_src elisp
>   ;; * Set the package installation directory (in order not to overwrite the standard ~/emacs.d)
>   (require 'package)
>   (setq package-user-dir (expand-file-name "./.packages"))
>   (setq package-archives '(("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")))
>   (add-to-list 'package-archives '("elpa" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/"))
>
>   ;; * Initialize the package system
>   (package-initialize)
>   (unless package-archive-contents
>     (package-refresh-contents))
>
>   ;; * Install dependencies
>   ;; ** since org is builtin, by default Emacs does not try to install the latest version from Elpa (9.5.4)
>   ;; the following solves the issue:
>   (defun mpger-ignore-builtin (pkg)
>     (assq-delete-all pkg package--builtins)
>     (assq-delete-all pkg package--builtin-versions))
>   (mpger-ignore-builtin 'org)
>   ;; ** install packages:
>   (package-install 'org)
>   (package-install 'htmlize)
>
>   ;; * Load the publishing system:
>   (require 'org)
>   (require 'htmlize)
>   (require 'ox-publish)
>
>   ;; * Define the project
>   (setq org-publish-project-alist
> 	(list
> 	 (list "pages"
> 	       :recursive t
> 	       :htmlized-source t
> 	       :base-directory "./content/"
> 	       :base-extension "org"
> 	       :publishing-directory "./html/"
> 	       :publishing-function 'org-html-publish-to-html
> 	       :with-creator t
> 	       :with-toc t
> 	       :section-numbers nil
> 	       :time-stamp-file nil)
> 	 ))
>
>   ;; * Generate the site output
>   (org-publish-all t)
>
>   (message "Done!")
> #+end_src
>

> 3. In =~/test/content/=, create a simple test.org file to be published as html (=~/test/content/test.org=):
>
> #+begin_example
> * Here's some text
>
> Lorem ipsum.
>
> * Here's some code
>
> #+begin_src R :results output :exports both
>   df <- mtcars ## a comment
>   library(parallel)
> #+end_src
>
> #+end_example
>
> 4. Run =~/test/build.el= (e.g. with ~emacs -Q --script ~/test/build.el~) and compare with
> the output from ~C-c C-e h o~. The latter has syntax highlighting, the former has not.

Just a shot in the dark. Does syntax highlighting work if the source
block is something like emacs-lisp rather than R?

I know that syntax highlighting is based on the syntax highlighting from
the mode used for a specific language. I'm wondering if your not getting
syntax highlighting because in yhour publish script, R mode is not
loaded, but when you open the org file and do a 'normal' export, R is
loaded and so you get syntax highlighting. Therefore, I would try the
same experiment, but instead of a source block of R code, I would try a
source block of emacs-lisp code as we know that emacs-lisp mode will be
loaded.

Could be completely off track though!