* [bug, beamer] Frame parameters taken from example code block
@ 2014-06-18 12:01 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-06-18 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

When having such a code block inside a frame:

#+TITLE:     Org Beamer examples
#+LANGUAGE:  en
#+PROPERTY:  eval no

#+LATEX_HEADER: \lstdefinelanguage{org}{}

* ECM

** Allow frame breaks

In your Org file, writing a code such as:

  #+begin_src org :eval no
  ,** A very long "frame" with breaks
     :PROPERTIES:
     :BEAMER_opt: allowframebreaks,label=
     :END:
  #+end_src

will make that frame over multiple slides, as needed.

the frame "inherits" from the property BEAMER_opt which, though, is only
present in the example code, not in the Beamer frame itself.

See http://screencast.com/t/fc3pNAXTAhK4.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: [bug, beamer] Frame parameters taken from example code block
@ 2014-06-18 12:12 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-06-18 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

> When having such a code block inside a frame, the frame "inherits"
> from the property BEAMER_opt which, though, is only present in the
> example code, not in the Beamer frame itself.

Another example which is not compilable in LaTeX (because of that bug):

#+TITLE:     Org Beamer examples
#+LANGUAGE:  en
#+PROPERTY:  eval no

#+LATEX_HEADER: \lstdefinelanguage{org}{}

* ECM

** ~beamercolorbox~ environment

In your Org file, writing this:

#+begin_src org
,#+LaTeX: \setbeamercolor{mycolor}{bg=green,fg=white}

,*** mycolor                                             :B_beamercolorbox:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: beamercolorbox
    :BEAMER_opt: wd=6cm
    :END:

Lorem ipsum...
#+end_src

displays a green post-it with a width of 6 cm.

See http://screencast.com/t/PY4nFxcKHe.

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2014-07-28 14:24 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-28 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Sébastien,

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org>
writes:

> the frame "inherits" from the property BEAMER_opt which, though, is only
> present in the example code, not in the Beamer frame itself.

Maybe it's time to forbid blank lines between headlines and the
properties drawer?  Or at least to discourage separating them in
the manual?  Otherwise I don't have a steady solution at hand.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: [bug, beamer] Frame parameters taken from example code block
@ 2014-07-28 19:25   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-07-28 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ, Sebastien Vauban

Hello,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Maybe it's time to forbid blank lines between headlines and the
> properties drawer?  Or at least to discourage separating them in
> the manual?  Otherwise I don't have a steady solution at hand.

I think this is fixed already.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [bug, beamer] Frame parameters taken from example code block
@ 2014-07-29 13:17     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-29 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ, Sebastien Vauban

Hi Nicolas,

>> Maybe it's time to forbid blank lines between headlines and the
>> properties drawer?  Or at least to discourage separating them in
>> the manual?  Otherwise I don't have a steady solution at hand.
>
> I think this is fixed already.

Okay, I didn't see any confirmation on the mailing list.

 Bastien

* Re: [bug, beamer] Frame parameters taken from example code block
@ 2014-07-29 14:06       ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-07-29 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ, Sebastien Vauban

Hello,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:
>
>>> Maybe it's time to forbid blank lines between headlines and the
>>> properties drawer?  Or at least to discourage separating them in
>>> the manual?  Otherwise I don't have a steady solution at hand.
>>
>> I think this is fixed already.
>
> Okay, I didn't see any confirmation on the mailing list.

I probably forgot to confirm it. See
ab145f0df553e0bb77795c946ff158d8c069f6e4

As a side note, "forbidding" blank lines between headlines and the
properties drawer (or better just after the planning line, if any) would
make parsing easier and faster in a lot of cases. Unfortunately, I think
this would break a lot of files, too.

Nicolas Goaziou                                                0x80A93738

* Re: [bug, beamer] Frame parameters taken from example code block
@ 2014-07-29 14:10         ` Bastien
       [not found]           ` <87zjfscl33.fsf-E3UqQZAQFPqWIDz0JBNUog@public.gmane.org>
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-29 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ, Sebastien Vauban

Hi Nicolas,

> As a side note, "forbidding" blank lines between headlines and the
> properties drawer (or better just after the planning line, if any) would
> make parsing easier and faster in a lot of cases. Unfortunately, I think
> this would break a lot of files, too.

Well, we can poll users and see how inconvenient this change would be.

(I'm certainly biased here, as I never use blank lines between the
headline and the properties drawer.)

If it's not too inconvenient, we can plan this for Org 9.0.

--
 Bastien

@ 2014-07-29 14:20             ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-07-29 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, Nicolas Goaziou
  Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ-wOFGN7rlS/M9smdsby/KFg

Bastien wrote:
> Nicolas Goaziou <mail-Gpy5sJQTEQHwkn9pgDnJRVAUjnlXr6A1@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> As a side note, "forbidding" blank lines between headlines and the
>> properties drawer (or better just after the planning line, if any) would
>> make parsing easier and faster in a lot of cases. Unfortunately, I think
>> this would break a lot of files, too.
>
> Well, we can poll users and see how inconvenient this change would be.
>
> (I'm certainly biased here, as I never use blank lines between the
> headline and the properties drawer.)
>
> If it's not too inconvenient, we can plan this for Org 9.0.

Sorry for taking too much time to answer, but I'm under constant flood
here, because of holiday times and the such.

First, please note I wouldn't flag the bug as being caused by a property
drawer detached from the headline. For me, the problem (in the ECM
I gave) is interpreting the contents of the Org code block (in the given
case: an headline with a property drawer following it).

I regard that "interpretation" of what's inside the Org code block as
the real cause of the problem. Maybe interpretation is not the right
term, but the code block should never be allowed to be scanned when
searching properties of the current headline IMHO.

Second, I neither never ever have property drawers separated from
headlines. I think that could be safely enforce, anyway, as all the
tools in Org (C-c C-x p, C-c C-x C-i, C-c C-s, C-c C-d, etc.) never make
such a case appear.

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2014-07-31 11:47           ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-07-31 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ, Sebastien Vauban

Hello,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Well, we can poll users and see how inconvenient this change would be.
>
> (I'm certainly biased here, as I never use blank lines between the
> headline and the properties drawer.)

Blank lines between the headline and the properties drawer is not
enough, because you still have to `re-search-forward', possibly far away
from the headline.

A better place would be the line below planning info, if any, or below
the headline otherwise.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [bug, beamer] Frame parameters taken from example code block
@ 2014-08-01 11:54             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-08-01 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ, Sebastien Vauban

Hi Nicolas,

> A better place would be the line below planning info, if any, or below
> the headline otherwise.

Yes, exactly.

--
 Bastien