* One of my Org files hangs Emacs
@ 2023-01-18 18:28 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2023-01-18 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi fellow Orgers,

so I have a bunch of Org files, most of them pretty big (over 1
megabyte), and one of them repeatedly causes my Emacsa to hang.
Sometimes a plain `C-g' helps, sometimes I need to kill the Emacs
process.  How do I even begin to find out what happens?  Any hints?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: One of my Org files hangs Emacs
@ 2023-01-18 18:38 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-01-18 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> so I have a bunch of Org files, most of them pretty big (over 1
> megabyte), and one of them repeatedly causes my Emacsa to hang.
> Sometimes a plain `C-g' helps, sometimes I need to kill the Emacs
> process.  How do I even begin to find out what happens?  Any hints?

1. Set debug-on-quit to t and study the backtrace you get after C-g
2. Set debug-on-error to t, send SIGUSR2 signal to Emacs and study the backtrace
3. Run emacs -Q only loading the Org version you use and try to
   reproduce. If you can, this is a bug in Org. If you can't, bisect
   your config to identify the cause (there is a helper bug-hunter
   package to assist; it can be used for manual reproduction as well)

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: One of my Org files hangs Emacs
@ 2023-01-19  4:11   ` Richard Kim
From: Richard Kim @ 2023-01-19  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> so I have a bunch of Org files, most of them pretty big (over 1
>> megabyte), and one of them repeatedly causes my Emacsa to hang.
>> Sometimes a plain `C-g' helps, sometimes I need to kill the Emacs
>> process.  How do I even begin to find out what happens?  Any hints?
>
> 1. Set debug-on-quit to t and study the backtrace you get after C-g
> 2. Set debug-on-error to t, send SIGUSR2 signal to Emacs and study the backtrace
> 3. Run emacs -Q only loading the Org version you use and try to
>    reproduce. If you can, this is a bug in Org. If you can't, bisect
>    your config to identify the cause (there is a helper bug-hunter
>    package to assist; it can be used for manual reproduction as well)

I would suggest disabling "org persist" which has caused so much grief for me.

(setq org-element-cache-persistent nil)

Prior to me adding above line, I would get mysterious hangs, and all
kinds of frequent errors.  I tried debug-on-quit and debug-on-error, but
this "org persist" thing was impossible to debug.

* Re: One of my Org files hangs Emacs
@ 2023-01-19 10:01     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-01-19 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs18; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard Kim <emacs18@gmail.com> writes:

> I would suggest disabling "org persist" which has caused so much grief for me.
>
> (setq org-element-cache-persistent nil)

org-persist can only affect opening and closing the file. I doubt that
it is the culprit here.

> Prior to me adding above line, I would get mysterious hangs, and all
> kinds of frequent errors.  I tried debug-on-quit and debug-on-error, but
> this "org persist" thing was impossible to debug.

Note the most users do not experience such problems. Could you file a
separate bug report describing your situation in more details? We can
then try to work something out.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: One of my Org files hangs Emacs
@ 2023-01-19 10:47     ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-01-19 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs18, emacs-orgmode

On 19/01/2023 11:11, Richard Kim wrote:

> (setq org-element-cache-persistent nil)
>
> Prior to me adding above line, I would get mysterious hangs, and all
> kinds of frequent errors.  I tried debug-on-quit and debug-on-error, but
> this "org persist" thing was impossible to debug.

Did it happen for remote files opened via TRAMP?