* proposal to make C-c C-c not remove latex overlays
@ 2014-07-14 22:22 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-07-14 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am using org-mode files with equations and code blocks in lectures,
and it is problematic that C-c C-c removes the equation overlays when
running a code block. First, you have to press C-c C-c twice to run the
block, since the first one gets rid of the equations, but then you have
run C-c C-x C-l to get the equations back! and the cycle repeats
throughout a lecture.

I would prefer that the equations stay untouched, and that the code
blocks run without modifying them.

I think the best behavior would be for C-c C-x C-l to toggle the
equations, and to remove the C-c C-c behavior for latex overlays
completely. But it would be ok if this was done by a C-c C-c hook
function, so that a user could remove the latex overlay without touching
the org-code.

Maybe a new function like this:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun org-toggle-latex-overlays (arg)
  "Toggle LaTeX fragments."
  (interactive "P")
  (if org-latex-fragment-image-overlays
      (org-remove-latex-fragment-image-overlays)
    (org-preview-latex-fragment arg)))
#+END_SRC

 could be added. Any thoughts?

--
-----------------------------------
John Kitchin

* Re: proposal to make C-c C-c not remove latex overlays
@ 2014-07-15  0:33 ` Aaron Ecay
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Aaron Ecay @ 2014-07-15  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin, emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

2014ko uztailak 14an, John Kitchin-ek idatzi zuen:

> I am using org-mode files with equations and code blocks in lectures,
> and it is problematic that C-c C-c removes the equation overlays when
> running a code block. First, you have to press C-c C-c twice to run the
> block, since the first one gets rid of the equations, but then you have
> run C-c C-x C-l to get the equations back! and the cycle repeats
> throughout a lecture.
>
> I would prefer that the equations stay untouched, and that the code
> blocks run without modifying them.
>
> I think the best behavior would be for C-c C-x C-l to toggle the
> equations, and to remove the C-c C-c behavior for latex overlays
> completely. But it would be ok if this was done by a C-c C-c hook
> function, so that a user could remove the latex overlay without touching
> the org-code.
>
> Maybe a new function like this:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (defun org-toggle-latex-overlays (arg)
>   "Toggle LaTeX fragments."
>   (interactive "P")
>   (if org-latex-fragment-image-overlays
>       (org-remove-latex-fragment-image-overlays)
>     (org-preview-latex-fragment arg)))
> #+END_SRC
>
>  could be added. Any thoughts?

I don’t have a comment on the substance of the proposal, but rather two
suggestions for workarounds.

The first is to use the C-c C-v C-e binding to execute source blocks
rather than C-c C-c.

The second is to let-bind ‘org-latex-fragment-image-overlays’ to nil
in an advice around the ‘org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c’ function, allowing you to
still use the more convenient C-c C-c binding.

--
Aaron Ecay

* Re: proposal to make C-c C-c not remove latex overlays
@ 2014-07-15  2:04   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-07-15  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Ecay <aaronecay@gmail.com> wrote:
> The first is to use the C-c C-v C-e binding to execute source blocks
> rather than C-c C-c.

Like this?

(setq org-babel-no-eval-on-ctrl-c-ctrl-c +1)

* Re: proposal to make C-c C-c not remove latex overlays
@ 2014-07-15 21:00     ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-07-15 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I actually love C-c C-c to run code blocks! Maybe I should just bind it
to f5 or something, I am just so used to C-cC-c now!

Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Aaron Ecay <aaronecay@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The first is to use the C-c C-v C-e binding to execute source blocks
>> rather than C-c C-c.
>
> Like this?
>
> (setq org-babel-no-eval-on-ctrl-c-ctrl-c +1)

--
-----------------------------------
John Kitchin
Professor
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: proposal to make C-c C-c not remove latex overlays
@ 2014-07-15 21:13   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-07-15 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Aaron Ecay <aaronecay@gmail.com> writes:

Thanks for the advice idea, that is a nice one. It doesn't work for me
like this though:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defadvice org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c (around latex-overlays)
  "ignore latex overlays in C-cC-c"
  (let ((org-latex-fragment-image-overlays nil))
    ad-do-it))
#+END_SRC

maybe because that is a buffer local variable?

@ 2014-07-15 22:52     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-07-15 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Aaron Ecay <aaronecay@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Thanks for the advice idea, that is a nice one. It doesn't work for me
> like this though:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (defadvice org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c (around latex-overlays)
>   "ignore latex overlays in C-cC-c"
>   (let ((org-latex-fragment-image-overlays nil))
>     ad-do-it))
> #+END_SRC
>
> maybe because that is a buffer local variable?

You probably forgot to activate it:

(ad-activate 'org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c)

--
Nick

* Re: proposal to make C-c C-c not remove latex overlays
@ 2014-07-16  1:28       ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-07-16  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

C-c C-v C-e might seem like a lot but it nice to have control and be
sure when code is getting evaluated.

That said, I do have a more obvious one using "super" which is indeed, super:

(local-set-key (kbd "s-t") 'org-babel-tangle)
(local-set-key (kbd "s-e") 'org-babel-execute-maybe)
Grant Rettke | ACM, ASA, FSF, IEEE, SIAM
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson

@ 2014-07-16 10:27 ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2014-07-16 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> I am using org-mode files with equations and code blocks in lectures,
> and it is problematic that C-c C-c removes the equation overlays when
> running a code block. First, you have to press C-c C-c twice to run the
> block, since the first one gets rid of the equations, but then you have
> run C-c C-x C-l to get the equations back! and the cycle repeats
> throughout a lecture.
>
> I would prefer that the equations stay untouched, and that the code
> blocks run without modifying them.
>
> I think the best behavior would be for C-c C-x C-l to toggle the
> equations, and to remove the C-c C-c behavior for latex overlays
> completely.

Since this thread focusses on work arounds and local customizations so
far, let me just say, that I completely agree here.  What is the
reasoning behind the current key binding?  Is there any benefit over
using the same key binding to toggle the state?

[...]

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: proposal to make C-c C-c not remove latex overlays
@ 2014-07-16 11:31   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-07-16 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Andreas Leha <andreas.leha@med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
>> I am using org-mode files with equations and code blocks in lectures,
>> and it is problematic that C-c C-c removes the equation overlays when
>> running a code block. First, you have to press C-c C-c twice to run the
>> block, since the first one gets rid of the equations, but then you have
>> run C-c C-x C-l to get the equations back! and the cycle repeats
>> throughout a lecture.
>>
>> I would prefer that the equations stay untouched, and that the code
>> blocks run without modifying them.
>>
>> I think the best behavior would be for C-c C-x C-l to toggle the
>> equations, and to remove the C-c C-c behavior for latex overlays
>> completely.
>
> Since this thread focusses on work arounds and local customizations so
> far, let me just say, that I completely agree here.  What is the
> reasoning behind the current key binding?  Is there any benefit over
> using the same key binding to toggle the state?

I'm inclined to agree too: I imagine it would be very annoying after
a while.

There are three things that C-c C-c currently undoes in an ad-hoc
fashion. The first cond clause in the function looks like this:

,----
|    ((or (and (boundp 'org-clock-overlays) org-clock-overlays)
| 	org-occur-highlights
| 	org-latex-fragment-image-overlays)
|     (and (boundp 'org-clock-overlays) (org-clock-remove-overlays))
|     (org-remove-occur-highlights)
|     (org-remove-latex-fragment-image-overlays)
|     (message "Temporary highlights/overlays removed from current buffer"))
`----

So if there are clock overlays or occur highlights or latex fragment
image overlays, they are undone and the function is finished. This seems
like a separate issue from the main thrust of what C-c C-c does (and it
does a lot), so my inclination would be to suggest that each of the
above conditions be togglable, using the standard keybinding for each
(C-c C-x C-l for latex fragment image overlay toggling, C-c C-x C-d for
clock display - occur highlights only happen from org-goto with the "/"
keybinding, but there is no org-global keybinding I believe).

However there is a variable that modifies that behavior:

,----
| org-remove-highlights-with-change is a variable defined in `org.el'.
| Its value is t
|
| Documentation:
| Non-nil means any change to the buffer will remove temporary highlights.
| Such highlights are created by `org-occur' and `org-clock-display'.
| When nil, `C-c C-c needs to be used to get rid of the highlights.
| The highlights created by `org-preview-latex-fragment' always need
| `C-c C-c' to be removed.
`----

If most of us leave that variable's value at default, the ad-hoc-kery
probably does not raise its head except for latex fragments. If that's
the case, then getting rid of just latex fragment undoing in
org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c and toggling with C-c C-x C-l is probably the best
solution. It probably would be a good idea to make the handling of clock
overlays similar as well and make C-c C-x C-d toggle the clock overlay
state (I'd be inclined to take that out of org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c as well,
since I suspect that almost nobody uses it, given the variable above and
its default value - but that's only a hunch).  That would leave only
occur highlights to be undone by org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c - which is ugly but
the function is a kitchen-sink kind of function anyway, so that's
probably OK.

Alternatively, make org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c undo these things as it does
today, but only with a triple prefix arg (which afaict is not used
today).

As Nicolas would say, WDYT?

--
Nick

* Re: proposal to make C-c C-c not remove latex overlays
@ 2014-07-16 12:45         ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-07-16 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

That is nice. For those of us using windows sometimes, you can kind of
get super and hyper keys (see
http://ergoemacs.org/emacs/emacs_hyper_super_keys.html). Although,
without also using autohotkey, your super keys are limited because
windows uses some of them (e.g.s-e launches explorer). H-e works fine.

@ 2014-07-16 13:26       ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-07-16 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

DOH! thanks, that is exactly what I forgot to do. This works fine after
you activate it! Thanks.

--
-----------------------------------

@ 2014-07-16 13:29     ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-07-16 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I favor the toggling behavior. There is an org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c-hook
variable that can always have functions in it that keep the current
behavior, but that can be removed if they are not desired.

John

--
-----------------------------------

@ 2014-07-27 17:47     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-07-27 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nick,

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> getting rid of just latex fragment undoing in
> org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c and toggling with C-c C-x C-l is probably the best
> solution.

Agreed, this is the case now in master.

> It probably would be a good idea to make the handling of clock
> overlays similar as well and make C-c C-x C-d toggle the clock overlay
> state

Clock overlays are clearly transient, while LaTeX fragments are more
or less permanent -- so allowing C-c C-c for getting rid of clock
overlays seems fine to me.  But clearly a subjective point of view.

 Bastien

* Re: proposal to make C-c C-c not remove latex overlays
@ 2014-07-28 15:27   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-07-28 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Aaron Ecay wrote:
> I don’t have a comment on the substance of the proposal, but rather two
> suggestions for workarounds.
>
> The first is to use the C-c C-v C-e binding to execute source blocks
> rather than C-c C-c.

Or even `e' if:

- on the first character of the #+begin_src keyword, and
- speed keys are enabled (not by default!?)

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: proposal to make C-c C-c not remove latex overlays
@ 2014-07-31 21:49       ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2014-07-31 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Nick Dokos <ndokos <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > getting rid of just latex fragment undoing in
> > org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c and toggling with C-c C-x C-l is probably the best
> > solution.
>
> Agreed, this is the case now in master.

The docstring for `org-preview-latex-fragment' still says:

"The images can be removed again with \\[org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c]."

Maybe change that to "\\[org-preview-latex-fragment]"?

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: proposal to make C-c C-c not remove latex overlays
@ 2014-08-01 11:53         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-08-01 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Charles,

Charles Berry <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> The docstring for `org-preview-latex-fragment' still says:
>
> "The images can be removed again with \\[org-ctrl-c-ctrl-c]."
>
> Maybe change that to "\\[org-preview-latex-fragment]"?

Fixed, thanks.  `org-preview-latex-fragment' is now named
`org-toggle-latex-fragment'.

--
 Bastien