* exporting typefaces
@ 2006-06-06 14:26 Austin Frank
From: Austin Frank @ 2006-06-06 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all--

I'm interested in being able to export stacked typefaces.  This org file:

    * headline
      *bold* /italic/ _underlined_
      */bold italic/* *_bold underlined_* /_italic underlined_/

produces this xhtml:

    <h1 class="title">test</h1>

    <h2>headline</h2>

    <li>
/<sub>italic</sub> underlined_/

    </li>
    </ul>

I would like to see something like

    <h1 class="title">test</h1>

    <h2>headline</h2>

    <li>
underlined</u></i>

    </li>
    </ul>

One can even imagine stacking all of the typeface indicators, like
*/_really fancy text_/*.  I can understand if there's some restriction
on the order that the indicators should be stacked in (e.g., _/.../_
instead of /_..._/), but I still hope that there is some syntax for
applying multiple typeface markups to the same string.

Thanks,
/au

* Re: exporting typefaces
@ 2006-06-06 14:33 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-06-06 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Frank; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I have never even once in my lifetime applied two different styles to a
piece of text.  What is the application of this?

- Carsten

On Jun 6, 2006, at 16:26, Austin Frank wrote:

> Hello all--
>
> I'm interested in being able to export stacked typefaces.  This org
> file:
>
>     * headline
>       *bold* /italic/ _underlined_
>       */bold italic/* *_bold underlined_* /_italic underlined_/
>

> produces this xhtml:
>

>     <h1 class="title">test</h1>
>
>     <h2>headline</h2>

>     <li>
> /<sub>italic</sub> underlined_/
>
>     </li>
>     </ul>
>

> I would like to see something like
>

>     <h1 class="title">test</h1>
>
>     <h2>headline</h2>

>     <li>
> <i><u>italic
> underlined</u></i>
>
>     </li>
>     </ul>
>

> One can even imagine stacking all of the typeface indicators, like
> */_really fancy text_/*.  I can understand if there's some restriction
> on the order that the indicators should be stacked in (e.g., _/.../_
> instead of /_..._/), but I still hope that there is some syntax for
> applying multiple typeface markups to the same string.
>
> Thanks,
> /au

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: exporting typefaces
@ 2006-06-06 14:55   ` Austin Frank
From: Austin Frank @ 2006-06-06 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Re: exporting typefaces
@ 2006-06-07 10:21     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-06-07 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Austin Frank; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 6, 2006, at 16:55, Austin Frank wrote:

> Looking through a few O'Reilly books on my shelf, I see that different
> user
> should enter input in example code.

Yes, that is true, O'Reilly books use some excessive styling - I guess
it makes sense in these cases.

Generalizing the emphasis stuff is tricky, and I am worried that the
regular expressions will match unintentionally.

However, I have now made this configurable, a test version is at

http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org-testemphasize.zip

In this version you can configure your own text styling through the
option `org-emphasis-alist'.  Before I release this, some tweaking of
the other new option `org-emphasis-regexp-components' might be
necessary.  In that option you can also define the number of newlines
you wish to allow in a single emphasized expression (default is one for
now, don't increase this too much because of a potentially significant
performance penalty).  Also you can ask for stacked styling in that
variable.

For now, stacked styling is turned off by default.

- Carsten