* How can I add a DONE tag to an org file?
@ 2010-08-02  9:47 Water Lin
From: Water Lin @ 2010-08-02  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Here is my two questions:

1. I want to mark an org file as DONE, so I will let me know that the
file is finished and doesn't need any change.

   How can I add this similar tag to the file, or something else.

2. If I want to add some notes about the usage of this org file. How can
do it? I just want to remind me to limit the content to the topic.

Thanks

Water Lin

--
Water Lin's notes and pencils: http://en.waterlin.org
Email: WaterLin@ymail.com

* Re: How can I add a DONE tag to an org file?
@ 2010-08-02  9:59 ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-08-02  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Water Lin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 08/02/2010 11:47 AM, Water Lin wrote:

> Here is my two questions:
>
> 1. I want to mark an org file as DONE, so I will let me know that the
> file is finished and doesn't need any change.
>
>    How can I add this similar tag to the file, or something else.

You can use file tags:
#+FILETAGS: :DONE:

Every headline in the file inherits the file tags. Note that this is
completely independent of TODO states.

> 2. If I want to add some notes about the usage of this org file. How can
> do it? I just want to remind me to limit the content to the topic.

Well, Org files are plain text, so just write it anywhere convenient. If
you do not want to see it normally, you might want to put it into a
drawer somewhere (also, IIRC drawers are not exported by default), e.g.

* some node
  :FILETOPIC:
  In this file, I want to keep track of sightings of purple elephants.
  Green elephants should be recorded somewhere else.
  :END:

Maybe a better question to ask would be where people who do something
similar write their notes, and if there are any specific reasons to
prefer one place to another?

HTH, Jan

* Re: How can I add a DONE tag to an org file?
@ 2010-08-04  1:23   ` Water Lin
From: Water Lin @ 2010-08-04  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Böcker; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jan Böcker <jan.boecker@jboecker.de> writes:

> On 08/02/2010 11:47 AM, Water Lin wrote:
>>
>> Here is my two questions:
>>
>> 1. I want to mark an org file as DONE, so I will let me know that the
>> file is finished and doesn't need any change.
>>
>>    How can I add this similar tag to the file, or something else.
>
> You can use file tags:
> #+FILETAGS: :DONE:
>
> Every headline in the file inherits the file tags. Note that this is
> completely independent of TODO states.
>

>> 2. If I want to add some notes about the usage of this org file. How can
>> do it? I just want to remind me to limit the content to the topic.
>
> Well, Org files are plain text, so just write it anywhere convenient. If
> you do not want to see it normally, you might want to put it into a
> drawer somewhere (also, IIRC drawers are not exported by default), e.g.
>

> * some node
>   :FILETOPIC:
>   In this file, I want to keep track of sightings of purple elephants.
>   Green elephants should be recorded somewhere else.
>   :END:
>
> Maybe a better question to ask would be where people who do something
> similar write their notes, and if there are any specific reasons to
> prefer one place to another?
>
> HTH, Jan

Thanks. It helps a lot.

Water Lin